Skip to main content

"Under the Kilt" - John Brown

John Brown has served in every major
military campaign in recent history,
from India to South Africa to China
and the Second Opium War.
It was in this last were he was 
captured, imprisoned, and tortured
until released by the automaton
hordes that ultimately won the war.

He is the consummate soldier,
possessed of an iron will and
steely resolve



Welcome back gentles all to The Art of Caesura!

Continuing our look at the Gentlemen of The World of Smog, this week we have John Brown - the Scottish double-amputee general. 


Steampunk Kilt

When I set out to paint this model, I vowed to myself that I really wanted to try my (free) hand at painting tartan (I mean, how often do you get to do that). I could have copped out and painted the kilt and sash a solid colour, but where's the challenge in that!?

So I looked at loads of photos for inspiration:

I do not own this image...

And really wanted to incorporate one awesome picture from a book I got in Reykjavik this past year:  

...or this one...

Steampunnk Kilt
...or this one. 
As a side note, I would actually love to make a conversion of the Highlander Battlesuit with "built-in automatic bagpipes" above - I'm thinking GW Grey Knight parts maybe mixed with some Ad Mech and Green Stuff. Don't know how where I'd get another bagpipes though...

Steampunk Kilt

Anyway, although I wanted to have a "two tone" kilt like those shown above, when I actually got down to it, it was actually quite tricky, and I had to temper my aspirations a bit.


Steampunk Kilt

I'm still happy with how it turned out - subtle but present. 


Steampunk Kilt

I painted the flames coming off his sword an unheimlich green, to tie in with Sir Daniel Home from last week and to keep his palette limited. The green tones are contrasted by his red beard (with flecks of grey) which helps draw the eye to his face. I spent ages trying to make his eyes look less starry but unfortunately you can barely see them under his brow of prodigious proportions. 


Steampunk Kilt

Steampunk Kilt

I gave his bagpipes a nice little gloss varnish and made his base in a similar manner to Master Fox's. I wanted to see what it looked like without adding the sand (because I felt I lost a bit of detail by adding the sand last time) but after comparing the two, I felt Master Fox's base looked more complete so I went back and redid John Brown's. 

Steampunk Kilt


(Pre-sand on the left, redone on the right) 

Well, flick on some Scotland the Brave, let me know what you think of John Brown and we'll see you back here next week on The Art of Caesura. 


Listening: The White Album - Wheezer
Watching: Sing (2016)
Reading: Journals for work


Next Week:

A Victorian doppelganger...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Full Stop - Oathsworn: Into the Deepwood

The monstrous Deepwood has consumed the land.  No farms or fields remain. There is only corruption, rot and the endless shadow of the twisted trees. ~ Shadowborne Games Pot's Peace, Oathsworn. Welcome to The Art of Caesura! What's all this then, TWO posts in one day!? Well yes, you see timing is of the essence here. Today marks the 200th post of The Art of Caesura , so if you haven't had a chance to check out the celebratory post, please do so !  There is also a Kickstarter ongoing at the moment, that I am getting quite excited by, but it closes on Tuesday, so if I left it till next Friday to tell you about it...it would be too late! Hence, in a world first, two hits of The Art of Caesura in one day! Now onward, into the world of Oathsworn: Into the Deepwood ! Credit: Shadowborne Games Nota bene : I am not associated with Shadowborne Games, and am just writing this because it is something that I am genuinely excited about. None of the

Warhammer 40k for Beginners - Writing an Army List

Hello again good friends of the Caesura! I am glad to report that I am feeling much better than last week, recovered from most of my COVID symptoms. Continuing from last week's post , I'm ready to tell you more about the lists that JP and I took for my first game of Warhammer 40k in over a decade and a half.  I have tried to write this post for those who know very little about playing Warhammer 40k (which was me when I started preparing for this game).  So, I knew that I wanted to keep things straightforward for my first game and that we were playing to 500 points. For those non-warhammerites, this is basically the smallest game you can play - less moving parts to keep track of.  Here is my list again, but this time I will discuss what it all means, and my thought process behind each choice: + Stratagems [-1CP] + Stratagem: Revered Repositories [-1CP] This just means that before the game I used one of my finite resources ("Command Points") to buy a very fancy weapon (

"The Skinny" - Scale 75 Flesh Paint Set Review

The complexion of a light-skinned face  divides into three zones: The forehead has a light golden colour  because it's freer of muscles and surface capillaries. The ears, cheeks and nose all lie within the central zone of the face.  Those areas have more capillaries carrying oxygenated blood near the surface, causing the reddish colour... The zone from the nose to the chin (where there are relatively more veins carrying blue deoxygenated blood) tends toward a bluish, greenish or greyish colour. Some artists accentuated this subtle bluish or greenish hue to bring out the reddish lip colour. Color and Light (page 156) - James Gurney Welcome all to The Art of Caesura! So I finished all the models in Warhammer Quest Silver Tower!! Wooohooo!! Now for something a bit different!  This week I'm going to do something I've never done on the blog before: write a review!! I've been wanting to write my thoughts on  Scale 75 's Flesh Paint Set for ov