Skip to main content

"Blue Beaked Beasts" - Tzaangors

Tzaangors are bright of colouration and sharp of intellect. 
Their beaks clack as they chant blasphemous refrains 
in their dark tongues, gimlet eyes glowing 
in their aquiline skulls.


Hi there, welcome to another Friday on The Art of Caesura!

Next week is the big birthday party of the blog, so make sure to come back for the festivities!

After a few weeks of The World of Smog: On Her Majesty's Service busts we're shifting gears back to Silver Tower! I managed to get the final group of "rank and file" troops painted, leaving only the heroes (and Gaunt Summoner) remaining! We're getting there!

Warhammer Quest Silver Tower

When they first came out, the internet was aflame with commentary about the Tzaangors. Most people agreed that they were beautiful models, but that all the filigree and other details on their armour made them taxing to paint. Man, after painting all six together I hear ya, but it was nothing that the side of a small brush couldn't handle ;)

Warhammer Quest Silver Tower

Obviously I wanted these beaked beastmen to fit in with the other denizens of the Silver Tower that I've painted to date. This was particularly true of the Kairic acolytes (who have similar armour) and the blue horrors who share a skin tone. I placed an acolyte and a blue horror in front of me while I was painting the Tzaangors to act as visual cues. 

Warhammer Quest Silver Tower

For the Tzaangor armour I started with my own blend of Warboss Green mixed with Altdorf Blue. I glazed this with Nihilakh Oxide for a nice chalky patina - differentiating it from the texture of the skin. I also like the look of having the armour lighter than the skin, many of the official pictures have been the opposite with a pale blue skin. 

Warhammer Quest Silver Tower

The skin then is The Fang, shaded with Drakenhoff Nightshade and built back up with The Fang and increasing amounts of Ushabti Bone.


Warhammer Quest Silver Tower

I've become so accustomed to painting my warm metals copper (Hashut Copper that is) that it felt weird going back to gold. The only gold I have is Retributor Armour, so I made sure to shade it down with loads of Seraphim Sepia (I wanted to keep it cleaner than my usual Agrax Earthshade would have been).


Warhammer Quest Silver Tower

Like with the Kairic Acolytes, I painted their gems with the (still relatively new) gem paints Soulstone Blue over Stormhost Silver (which I also used to dot their eyes. To pre-empt the inevitable (and very welcomed!) questions about how I made the bases, you can find my tutorial back here.

I hope you enjoyed that look at the Tzaangors, which not only look cool, but are FEARSOME in the game of Silver Tower. We'll take a look at the other four of them in a couple weeks time, because next week is the Super Special Second Birthday of The Art of Caesura!! See you then!

P.S. As always, if you have any questions, comments or complaints; quandaries, queries or quips please feel free to post them below. Also a little housekeeping detail, long term readers may notice that I am in the process of adding a "descriptive" part to the titles of past blog posts. For example "The Big Bull(y)" has become "The Big Bull(y) - Ogroid Thaumaturge" I'll try to get as much of this done before the 2nd birthday next week. It may seem like a small detail, but in the years to come it'll make finding specific posts much easier (you can always use the blog's search bar too). Right, see you next week!


Reading: Mythos - Stephen Fry
Watching: Jeopardy!
Gaming: Vermintide


Next Week:

The Big Blog Birthday Bonanza!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Full Stop - Oathsworn: Into the Deepwood

The monstrous Deepwood has consumed the land.  No farms or fields remain. There is only corruption, rot and the endless shadow of the twisted trees. ~ Shadowborne Games Pot's Peace, Oathsworn. Welcome to The Art of Caesura! What's all this then, TWO posts in one day!? Well yes, you see timing is of the essence here. Today marks the 200th post of The Art of Caesura , so if you haven't had a chance to check out the celebratory post, please do so !  There is also a Kickstarter ongoing at the moment, that I am getting quite excited by, but it closes on Tuesday, so if I left it till next Friday to tell you about it...it would be too late! Hence, in a world first, two hits of The Art of Caesura in one day! Now onward, into the world of Oathsworn: Into the Deepwood ! Credit: Shadowborne Games Nota bene : I am not associated with Shadowborne Games, and am just writing this because it is something that I am genuinely excited about. None of the

"The Skinny" - Scale 75 Flesh Paint Set Review

The complexion of a light-skinned face  divides into three zones: The forehead has a light golden colour  because it's freer of muscles and surface capillaries. The ears, cheeks and nose all lie within the central zone of the face.  Those areas have more capillaries carrying oxygenated blood near the surface, causing the reddish colour... The zone from the nose to the chin (where there are relatively more veins carrying blue deoxygenated blood) tends toward a bluish, greenish or greyish colour. Some artists accentuated this subtle bluish or greenish hue to bring out the reddish lip colour. Color and Light (page 156) - James Gurney Welcome all to The Art of Caesura! So I finished all the models in Warhammer Quest Silver Tower!! Wooohooo!! Now for something a bit different!  This week I'm going to do something I've never done on the blog before: write a review!! I've been wanting to write my thoughts on  Scale 75 's Flesh Paint Set for ov

Warhammer 40k for Beginners - Writing an Army List

Hello again good friends of the Caesura! I am glad to report that I am feeling much better than last week, recovered from most of my COVID symptoms. Continuing from last week's post , I'm ready to tell you more about the lists that JP and I took for my first game of Warhammer 40k in over a decade and a half.  I have tried to write this post for those who know very little about playing Warhammer 40k (which was me when I started preparing for this game).  So, I knew that I wanted to keep things straightforward for my first game and that we were playing to 500 points. For those non-warhammerites, this is basically the smallest game you can play - less moving parts to keep track of.  Here is my list again, but this time I will discuss what it all means, and my thought process behind each choice: + Stratagems [-1CP] + Stratagem: Revered Repositories [-1CP] This just means that before the game I used one of my finite resources ("Command Points") to buy a very fancy weapon (