Skip to main content

"Shall We Not Revenge" - The Merchant

Would I could afford to buy my love a fine gown
Made of gold and silk Arabian thread
But, I am dead and gone and lying in a church ground
And still I push my barrow all the day
Still I push my barrow all the day

'Eli the Barrow Boy' - The Decemberists


Happy New Year and welcome to 2018 on The Art of Caesura!

I hope you've all had a great holiday and are greeting 2018 with new resolve for whatever hobby and life projects lie ahead! We had a bit of snow here in the south west of Ireland so that was quite exciting, but not as dramatic as some of the Canadian winters I grew up with!

Anyway, it has been quite a celebratory time of year here on The Art of Caesura. First we had the 100th blog post, then Christmas, New Years and in a couple weeks the 2nd birthday of the blog! So I want to cram in a couple more of the World of Smog busts that I was working on before all this excitement landed. 



The man nicknamed the Merchant tirelessly strides along the alleys of the market and questions newcomers with frantic bow strokes on his chipped and out-of-tune violin. A legend says a powerful Faerie mage, disgusted by this showman's unbearable stridency, cursed him to never leave the Shadow Market. There is a grain of truth in this tale. This satyr, despite his lack of musical ear, has an almost supernatural gift for finding amazing deals at incredible prices nobody else can match.

The World of Smog: On Her Majesty's Service


The World of Smog

I'm going to say this right out of the gates: The Merchant is one of my favourite World of Smog minis. There, I said it. I'd even go so far as to say he's tied with The Hybrid for my fave! And I must admit, that really surprised me! 

The World of Smog

When I first looked at him, I thought he was cool, but nothing particularly special. But as I started painting him, my opinion changed. After the bright, gaudy colours of The Comedian, I knew that I wanted to paint the next one in neutral, earthy tones. 

The World of Smog

It's hard for me to put my finger on exactly what I love about this model so much. Long-time readers know that I love orcs and goblins, so I guess this guy sort of scratches that itch. But I think what I really like about him is that his muted tones give him some verisimilitude, making him look like he could really exist in The World of Smog. 

The World of Smog

I had never painted blue skin before, so it was a fun challenge making that look not too bright. This was accomplished by starting with a pastel blue (The Fang) and using washes to add depth. I gave his ears and lower eyelids a lick of Druchii Violet to add some life back in. 

The World of Smog

His hat and jacket started life Steel Legion Drab, but were grubbied up with Nuln Oil and Agrax Earthshade before being highlighted back up. I used gentle highlights in an attempt to give the appearance of soft worn leather. His pipe and cravat were instead shaded with the old gryphonne sepia to vary the browns and hopefully make the pipe look like worn wood.

The World of Smog

And that's it for the first post of 2018! I'm glad to start the new year off on the right foot with a model that I especially love. See you next Friday for more on The Art of Caesura!


Reading: The Devil in the White City
Watching: Train to Busan


Next Week:

"I am [not] Zuul. I am the Gatekeeper..."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Full Stop - Oathsworn: Into the Deepwood

The monstrous Deepwood has consumed the land.  No farms or fields remain. There is only corruption, rot and the endless shadow of the twisted trees. ~ Shadowborne Games Pot's Peace, Oathsworn. Welcome to The Art of Caesura! What's all this then, TWO posts in one day!? Well yes, you see timing is of the essence here. Today marks the 200th post of The Art of Caesura , so if you haven't had a chance to check out the celebratory post, please do so !  There is also a Kickstarter ongoing at the moment, that I am getting quite excited by, but it closes on Tuesday, so if I left it till next Friday to tell you about it...it would be too late! Hence, in a world first, two hits of The Art of Caesura in one day! Now onward, into the world of Oathsworn: Into the Deepwood ! Credit: Shadowborne Games Nota bene : I am not associated with Shadowborne Games, and am just writing this because it is something that I am genuinely excited about. None of the

"The Skinny" - Scale 75 Flesh Paint Set Review

The complexion of a light-skinned face  divides into three zones: The forehead has a light golden colour  because it's freer of muscles and surface capillaries. The ears, cheeks and nose all lie within the central zone of the face.  Those areas have more capillaries carrying oxygenated blood near the surface, causing the reddish colour... The zone from the nose to the chin (where there are relatively more veins carrying blue deoxygenated blood) tends toward a bluish, greenish or greyish colour. Some artists accentuated this subtle bluish or greenish hue to bring out the reddish lip colour. Color and Light (page 156) - James Gurney Welcome all to The Art of Caesura! So I finished all the models in Warhammer Quest Silver Tower!! Wooohooo!! Now for something a bit different!  This week I'm going to do something I've never done on the blog before: write a review!! I've been wanting to write my thoughts on  Scale 75 's Flesh Paint Set for ov

Warhammer 40k for Beginners - Writing an Army List

Hello again good friends of the Caesura! I am glad to report that I am feeling much better than last week, recovered from most of my COVID symptoms. Continuing from last week's post , I'm ready to tell you more about the lists that JP and I took for my first game of Warhammer 40k in over a decade and a half.  I have tried to write this post for those who know very little about playing Warhammer 40k (which was me when I started preparing for this game).  So, I knew that I wanted to keep things straightforward for my first game and that we were playing to 500 points. For those non-warhammerites, this is basically the smallest game you can play - less moving parts to keep track of.  Here is my list again, but this time I will discuss what it all means, and my thought process behind each choice: + Stratagems [-1CP] + Stratagem: Revered Repositories [-1CP] This just means that before the game I used one of my finite resources ("Command Points") to buy a very fancy weapon (