Skip to main content

"Brutal Legends" - Brutes

Lumbering, heavy-set creatures with furrowed brows
and heavy armour, orruk Brutes are unconcerned with 
the complex things in life. Their minds are filled with one thing only
- Violence



Hello all! Welcome back to The Art of Caesura!

I hope you're all doing well! We had few days of sun there last weekend and when that happens, there are few places better than this little corner of Ireland!

By the way, I'll be heading to the Kerry Comic Con this weekend for a bit of craic. I might bring The World of Smog or Silver Tower for some evening gaming - give me a shout if anyone's interested in setting something up.

Today we're shifting gears again. In my New Years post I teased some of the projects that would be coming down the pipeline this year. One of which was the fantastic box of Brutes that my fiance's mum (very thoughtfully, if not a bit embarrassingly) gave me for Christmas. I want to split them over a couple weeks, to zoom in on the building and then the painting. Today we'll look at building these guys and next week I'll have about a million pictures of the finished product!



After being introduced to the build of the Brutes when I made the Maw-Krusha, I was excited to get to these guys. I am a long term lover of Games Workshop's Orcs and Goblins, so these hulking brutes really scratched my itch, tickled my fancy and did all those other titillating verbs. 


I originally had the idea that I would magnetize the arms of all these guys - I had such success with my initial forays into magnetizing with the Maw-Krusha. 





This worked really well for the guys with one-handed weapons (including the boss holding the severed head and claw)...

...But where I ran into problems was with the two-handed weapons. When I would try to slide them into place, the fit was so tight that it would rub the paint off their chests, and this was before I put their breast plates on. After I glued on the chest armour it was nearly impossible to fit their arms back on! Oops. I ended up gluing the two-handed weapons in place.



Overall these were fantastic models to build, and if I hadn't gone messing and complicating things with my magnet enthusiasm they would have gone together really easily. 

Thanks for popping by for this quick one. Next week we'll be taking a closer look at the finished result for these guys! Maybe I'll catch some of you at the Comic Con this weekend, and for the rest of you, I'll see you next Friday on The Art of Caesura!


Watching: Life (2017) - Daniel Espinosa
Reading: April's White Dwarf
Listening: Slania's Song - Eluveitie
Gaming: Grim Dawn - Crate Entertainment


Next Week:

Painted brutality...

Comments

  1. Hello friend, I'm also interested in magnetizing my ironjawz and I'm curious about the type of magnets you used.
    Thanks a bunch

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Thanks for being in touch! I found Ironjawz (and Brutes in particular) perfect for magnetizing because they have big chunky attachment points.

    The magnets I use are these:

    http://www.waylandgames.co.uk/kromlech-bits/43429-neodymium-disc-magnets-3x1mm?search_query=Magnets+3x1mm&results=1


    And this is the drill bit for a hand drill (pin vice) that you'll need:

    http://www.waylandgames.co.uk/tools-sculpting/28066-3-mm-cobalt-drill?nosto=abandonedcart:573ad5d3581346e89007608b&visit=58218fa060b29e6ea47dbc3c&refmail=5821983260b22111138b3473&utm_source=nosto&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=AbandonedCart&utm_content=UserHistoryProducts

    Hope that helps, always looking to strengthen the WAAAGH!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Tell me all...

Popular posts from this blog

The Full Stop - Oathsworn: Into the Deepwood

The monstrous Deepwood has consumed the land.  No farms or fields remain. There is only corruption, rot and the endless shadow of the twisted trees. ~ Shadowborne Games Pot's Peace, Oathsworn. Welcome to The Art of Caesura! What's all this then, TWO posts in one day!? Well yes, you see timing is of the essence here. Today marks the 200th post of The Art of Caesura , so if you haven't had a chance to check out the celebratory post, please do so !  There is also a Kickstarter ongoing at the moment, that I am getting quite excited by, but it closes on Tuesday, so if I left it till next Friday to tell you about it...it would be too late! Hence, in a world first, two hits of The Art of Caesura in one day! Now onward, into the world of Oathsworn: Into the Deepwood ! Credit: Shadowborne Games Nota bene : I am not associated with Shadowborne Games, and am just writing this because it is something that I am genuinely excited about. None of the

"The Skinny" - Scale 75 Flesh Paint Set Review

The complexion of a light-skinned face  divides into three zones: The forehead has a light golden colour  because it's freer of muscles and surface capillaries. The ears, cheeks and nose all lie within the central zone of the face.  Those areas have more capillaries carrying oxygenated blood near the surface, causing the reddish colour... The zone from the nose to the chin (where there are relatively more veins carrying blue deoxygenated blood) tends toward a bluish, greenish or greyish colour. Some artists accentuated this subtle bluish or greenish hue to bring out the reddish lip colour. Color and Light (page 156) - James Gurney Welcome all to The Art of Caesura! So I finished all the models in Warhammer Quest Silver Tower!! Wooohooo!! Now for something a bit different!  This week I'm going to do something I've never done on the blog before: write a review!! I've been wanting to write my thoughts on  Scale 75 's Flesh Paint Set for ov

"From the City of Shadows" - Arkanaut Company (Painting - Part 1)

The City of Shadows has a dubious reputation  amongst the Overlords, often labelled pirates  or worse by other duardin of their rival sky-ports. Barak Mhornar - Games Workshop Welcome back to another Friday on The Art of Caesura! Let's pick it up from last week and dive right back in to the Arkanauts. Last time we saw them they were all grey and naked. No longer!! This is going to be part one of a two-parter on the painting of these guys before we look their bases and then at the finished Company in the following weeks. I was going to try to cram it all into one post, but wow there is a lot of detail on these guys, and we're in no hurry, so best to spread it out and give it all it's due.  Barak Zilfin Colour Scheme When the Kharadron Overlords first came out I was looking at all the colour schemes and thinking "man, Barak Zilfin all the way!  I mean look at all that copper!" But over the year, my tastes have...matured and I came to really