Skip to main content

Killarney Beer Fest 2017

Beer doesn't make you FAT,
it makes you lean...
against tables and walls.


Welcome fellow beer sommeliers to The Art of Caesura!

Just a quick diversion from our 5 weeks of Silver Tower content...

Long time readers may remember that around this time last year I regaled you all with the great craic I had at the 2nd ever Killarney Beer Festival. In my closing I even uttered the prophetic words: "I'll definately be going again next year!" Well little did I know that this year on the weekend of the festival, I would be working 24 hours, and have an exam...but as if that would stop me!

It was another great year for the Irish beer fans (I guess I can just say "the Irish"). The sun peaked out, there was great music, food stalls, entertaining and informative talks, and of course, beer!







The first talk we went to was with the Beer Messiah Dean McGuinness who is a regular on the Moncrieff radio show "Movies & Booze". He gave a great talk (with lots of samples) about the neuropsychology of beer and beer marketing. A revelation for me during this talk was the difference between taste and flavour. We only have 5 main tastes (sweet, salty, savoury (umami), sour and bitter) and they are all localized to different areas of the tongue. The cool part is that by plugging your nose and chewing on something for about 10-15 seconds (a jellybean, for example) you can taste sweet at the tip of your tongue but it's only when you unplug your nose that you get the flavour (watermelon, for example). I'd recommend trying it yourself - it's really quite striking!

So there are thousands of flavours that your nose adds onto the 5 tastes.



Aaaannnd I even won a Rodenbach Vintage 2014!


The day was just packed! We also enjoyed a talk (with lots of samples) of 6 different Irish ciders and cheeses parings. 





And a shot of all the winning brewers:






















Thanks for joining me for another Killarney beer fest here on The Art of Caesura!


Drinking:
Dark Matter Session Stout - Wild Bat Beer
Lobo IPA - Wicklow Wolf
Arcadia Lager - Wicklow Wolf


Next Week:

A beer of matrimony...

Comments

  1. Did you meet anyone in Killarney with the last name Shea, Fowlue, Cronin, Donnoghue, Murphy or Connell?

    - a family historian ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there! Thanks for your comment! I have met a few people from the Killarney area with variations of some of those names (Muireann O'Shea, Michael O'Donoghue), but not those names exactly. Have you been to Killarney yet yourself? It's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've found that Shea & O'Shea are the same family. Originally it was O'Shea, then Shea became more popular but recently the O'Shea spelling has made a comeback. I wouldn't be surprised to find the same thing with O'Donoghue/Donoghue also. Its funny you ask about Killarney. I just happen to be going to a wedding soon in Dingle and my bus route passes through there.

    - the same family historian

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Tell me all...

Popular posts from this blog

The Full Stop - Oathsworn: Into the Deepwood

The monstrous Deepwood has consumed the land.  No farms or fields remain. There is only corruption, rot and the endless shadow of the twisted trees. ~ Shadowborne Games Pot's Peace, Oathsworn. Welcome to The Art of Caesura! What's all this then, TWO posts in one day!? Well yes, you see timing is of the essence here. Today marks the 200th post of The Art of Caesura , so if you haven't had a chance to check out the celebratory post, please do so !  There is also a Kickstarter ongoing at the moment, that I am getting quite excited by, but it closes on Tuesday, so if I left it till next Friday to tell you about it...it would be too late! Hence, in a world first, two hits of The Art of Caesura in one day! Now onward, into the world of Oathsworn: Into the Deepwood ! Credit: Shadowborne Games Nota bene : I am not associated with Shadowborne Games, and am just writing this because it is something that I am genuinely excited about. None of the

"The Skinny" - Scale 75 Flesh Paint Set Review

The complexion of a light-skinned face  divides into three zones: The forehead has a light golden colour  because it's freer of muscles and surface capillaries. The ears, cheeks and nose all lie within the central zone of the face.  Those areas have more capillaries carrying oxygenated blood near the surface, causing the reddish colour... The zone from the nose to the chin (where there are relatively more veins carrying blue deoxygenated blood) tends toward a bluish, greenish or greyish colour. Some artists accentuated this subtle bluish or greenish hue to bring out the reddish lip colour. Color and Light (page 156) - James Gurney Welcome all to The Art of Caesura! So I finished all the models in Warhammer Quest Silver Tower!! Wooohooo!! Now for something a bit different!  This week I'm going to do something I've never done on the blog before: write a review!! I've been wanting to write my thoughts on  Scale 75 's Flesh Paint Set for ov

"From the City of Shadows" - Arkanaut Company (Painting - Part 1)

The City of Shadows has a dubious reputation  amongst the Overlords, often labelled pirates  or worse by other duardin of their rival sky-ports. Barak Mhornar - Games Workshop Welcome back to another Friday on The Art of Caesura! Let's pick it up from last week and dive right back in to the Arkanauts. Last time we saw them they were all grey and naked. No longer!! This is going to be part one of a two-parter on the painting of these guys before we look their bases and then at the finished Company in the following weeks. I was going to try to cram it all into one post, but wow there is a lot of detail on these guys, and we're in no hurry, so best to spread it out and give it all it's due.  Barak Zilfin Colour Scheme When the Kharadron Overlords first came out I was looking at all the colour schemes and thinking "man, Barak Zilfin all the way!  I mean look at all that copper!" But over the year, my tastes have...matured and I came to really