Skip to main content

"Telling Our Tale" - Conquering the Silver Tower

...The Summoner faded from sight,
leaving only his echoing laughter,
and a glowing portal leading
on into the Silver Tower's labyrinthine depths.

~ Games Workshop, Silver Tower Adventure Book 


Welcome to another special Friday on The Art of Caesura!

Today I have a special post for you guys! When I finished painting up all the wonderful miniatures in Warhammer Quest: Silver Tower I assured you that that wasn't going to be the end of the Silver Tower coverage on The Art of Caesura. Well, this week I want to tell you about our grand conclusion to our Silver Tower campaign. With busy lives, we've been playing this campaign with the same characters on and off for about a year and a half, so it really felt like a dramatic conclusion!

So inspired was I by my play through of Silver Tower, that I did some research into its making. I've popped some of my thoughts and findings at the end of this post. 

Before we move on, the final trial is filled with edge-of-your-seat surprises, so if you haven't played it yet (and intend to) be warned that there will be some light spoilers here. 


Warhammer Quest Silver Tower

The structure of the final trial is brilliant. The first time you "kill" the Gaunt Summoner, I felt a bit underwhelmed...that was it!? But then victory is torn from your grasp as you must fight your way back through many of the final grand chambers from the previous trials, all with new rules that make them feel fresh and appropriately epic - leading up to the final confrontation. 



A mechanic that I liked in this final trial (that kept the momentum up, and avoided frustration) was that double ones and sixes on the Destiny Dice no longer cause an unexpected event to occur. 

One more hit...!
I also noticed that the designers implemented some "quality of life considerations" in this final trial - the next game-board that you would use would often be on the back-side of the previous one, so you don't have to go rifling through them all looking for the one you need.

Cowardly, cowardly scuttlings at his back.


This game is just SO atmospheric! The board-tiles really helped with that.



Oops, we actually set this tile up wrong (above) but amended it so that our heroes entered through the bladed fighting pit. Misweaver made a quick leap out of the pit, but my Chieftain was not quite so graceful - barreling up the stairs through rabid acolytes to get a few swings off on Ol' Gaunty.

Gameplay

Gameplay
Two Pink Horrors popping out beside you? Brutal!

Gameplay
The Gaunt Summoner casting spells from the shadows.

Gameplay
Well hello Mr. Thaumaturge. Long time - no see...

...And from his perspective...

Gameplay

For the Grand Finale, I was blasting this, and it was getting pretty damn atmospheric! As the music swelled, my Darkoath Chieftain charged in and dealt the killing blow with his Broad Sword!

Gameplay

This final blow was amazing, especially because, for much of the time, my Chieftain was playing second fiddle to my wife's sensational Mistweaver Saih! 

I like how the whole thing ends on a narrative note (and I certainly know which choice my Darkoath Chieftain would have made at the end). 

As I was packing up the board, this music came on and it felt like the perfect "credits" music - a powerful mix of inspiring and nostalgic.

Here's a final look at our heros from our first complete campaign. For reference, I've included all of the skill and treasure cards we ended up with - some pretty powerful combos to be sure! We made a really great team (my wife and I and Mistweaver and Chieftain) because we had such complementary skills. Mistweaver's ability to bedazzle everyone in the room then blast from afar while the Chieftain charged in swinging his Broadsword and taking names, was a strategy that worked well for us throughout the campaign. I actually can't imagine playing without an area stun - there would have been a LOT more deaths on our side!


Warhammer Quest Silver Tower



Warhammer Quest Silver Tower

As well as exciting you with the tale of our final adventures in the Sliver Tower, I wanted to share some insights about its design. 

You might have gleaned from my Full Stop - Hellboy post a couple weeks ago that I'm super excited about Hellboy: The Board Game which is currently soaring through stretch goals on Kickstarter. So while looking into that game, I found that the guy who is writing the rules for Hellboy also wrote the rules for Silver Tower (and many other recent awesome games (Bloodbowl, Necromunda, Gorechosen): James Hewitt.

During his development on Hellboy, he's offered some insights about mechanics that he's improved on since Silver Tower. You can find his detailed post on this here

Probably a good place to start though is with a detailed interview with James over on the Fjordhammer Podcast here (start at 1:23.00)- where James talks in depth about the whole Silver Tower development process. 

I was interested to hear that the whole rules development process on Silver Tower took only 4 months (and that was after going way over schedule and having to request more time!) He admits to wishing they had more time to further play-test some of the later trials (which have been accused of being too easy). A difficult challenge because he wanted the trials to be playable in any order.

A lot of thought was put into the construction of the Adventure book (he was careful to never have the last passage in a trial on the same page as the first passage (to avoid spoilers).

In the podcast, he also talks about the origin of the Hero Dice mechanic (which I think is genius and such an elegant solution to resource management, health and theme (if your adventure had one arm hanging off it makes sense that they wouldn't be able to swing their axe as much!)

After completing my first full run through of all the trials of Warhammer Quest: Silver Tower, I am happy to consider myself a fan-boy! For my next run-through (likely in a few months because I have so many other exciting games to play!)  I'm going to play as two new heroes myself and randomize at least one of them (maybe both). 



I hope you liked this recounting of our Final Trial, as well as the tremendous thought that went into making Warhammer Quest: Silver Tower here on The Art of Caesura.


Reading: May's White Dwarf Magazine

Listening: "At Giza" - Om


Next Week:


A very special cabinet...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Full Stop - Oathsworn: Into the Deepwood

The monstrous Deepwood has consumed the land.  No farms or fields remain. There is only corruption, rot and the endless shadow of the twisted trees. ~ Shadowborne Games Pot's Peace, Oathsworn. Welcome to The Art of Caesura! What's all this then, TWO posts in one day!? Well yes, you see timing is of the essence here. Today marks the 200th post of The Art of Caesura , so if you haven't had a chance to check out the celebratory post, please do so !  There is also a Kickstarter ongoing at the moment, that I am getting quite excited by, but it closes on Tuesday, so if I left it till next Friday to tell you about it...it would be too late! Hence, in a world first, two hits of The Art of Caesura in one day! Now onward, into the world of Oathsworn: Into the Deepwood ! Credit: Shadowborne Games Nota bene : I am not associated with Shadowborne Games, and am just writing this because it is something that I am genuinely excited about. None of the

"The Skinny" - Scale 75 Flesh Paint Set Review

The complexion of a light-skinned face  divides into three zones: The forehead has a light golden colour  because it's freer of muscles and surface capillaries. The ears, cheeks and nose all lie within the central zone of the face.  Those areas have more capillaries carrying oxygenated blood near the surface, causing the reddish colour... The zone from the nose to the chin (where there are relatively more veins carrying blue deoxygenated blood) tends toward a bluish, greenish or greyish colour. Some artists accentuated this subtle bluish or greenish hue to bring out the reddish lip colour. Color and Light (page 156) - James Gurney Welcome all to The Art of Caesura! So I finished all the models in Warhammer Quest Silver Tower!! Wooohooo!! Now for something a bit different!  This week I'm going to do something I've never done on the blog before: write a review!! I've been wanting to write my thoughts on  Scale 75 's Flesh Paint Set for ov

Warhammer 40k for Beginners - Writing an Army List

Hello again good friends of the Caesura! I am glad to report that I am feeling much better than last week, recovered from most of my COVID symptoms. Continuing from last week's post , I'm ready to tell you more about the lists that JP and I took for my first game of Warhammer 40k in over a decade and a half.  I have tried to write this post for those who know very little about playing Warhammer 40k (which was me when I started preparing for this game).  So, I knew that I wanted to keep things straightforward for my first game and that we were playing to 500 points. For those non-warhammerites, this is basically the smallest game you can play - less moving parts to keep track of.  Here is my list again, but this time I will discuss what it all means, and my thought process behind each choice: + Stratagems [-1CP] + Stratagem: Revered Repositories [-1CP] This just means that before the game I used one of my finite resources ("Command Points") to buy a very fancy weapon (