Skip to main content

"The Weird Sister" - The Witch

The weird sisters, hand in hand,
Posters of the sea and land,
Thus do go about, about,
Thrice to thine and thrice to mine
And thrice again, to make up nine.

Peace! The charm’s wound up.

Macbeth - Shakespeare


Hey Caesurians, welcome back to The Art of Caesura!

It's funny, this game (The World of Smog: On Her Majesty's Service) has probably been the most continuous thread throughout my blog over the years. On reflection, it seems like I usually paint them around this time of year too - I guess when the wintery days are short, it's easy to transport oneself into the cold, oppressive Victorian setting of this game. Today we have The Witch!


The World of Smog: On Her Majesty's Service

Hidden amongst the common beggars and tattered wretches in the Market's alleys is a bent and hungry hundred-year-old woman, lugging around her amulets and oboe. Nobody suspects her melodies can twist steel and set glass ablaze, making everything around her a deadly trap. In ages past, improvised tribunals condemned many a wizard and sorcerer to the pyre. A few survivors fled to the kingdom of Oberon, hoping to practice their sabbaths in peace. Instead, the fairies persecuted them in ways more twisted than simple execution.

- The World of Smog: On Her Majesty's Service



The World of Smog: On Her Majesty's Service

I have talked many times before about what a joy it is to paint these busts. Because they are relatively quick (compaired to a 28mm mini), due to having fewer different textures and fine details, you can really lavish attention on them and try new things. 

The World of Smog: On Her Majesty's Service

I tried a lot of new things on this mini. I have amassed quite a few paints over the past few years, but have still never bought a purple. "Purple?" I think whenever I'm in a hobbyshop "I never use purple." But I settled on purple for this model because it suited her gypsy look, and made her distinct from the other busts. 

The World of Smog: On Her Majesty's Service

This purple is a mix of Screamer Pink and Altdorf Blue with two shades of Druchii Violet and then highlighted up by adding Lothorn Blue (and a bit more Screamer Pink) back into the original mix. 

The World of Smog: On Her Majesty's Service

The World of Smog: On Her Majesty's Service

The World of Smog: On Her Majesty's Service

Her skin was the next new element. I haven't done such a sallow skin before, but armed with the Scale 75 Flesh Paints (using Indian Shadow as my base tone) and my wet palette, it was surprisingly easy and I think it turned out pretty well. 

The World of Smog: On Her Majesty's Service

Lastly, is the glow of her eyes, and crescent moon on her forehead. I was originally going to paint this with the blue effect that I use on my Kharadron Overlords, but instead wanted to contrast the cool tones of her robes and hair. I painted the eyes and crescent Ushabti Bone, highlighting to pure white in the centres and then lathered the whole thing with Spiritstone Red (which should be called Spiritstone Orange, but oh well) it's the first time I've used this paint, and for this purpose, I think it added a nice effect.

The World of Smog: On Her Majesty's Service

I washed the grey of her hair and eyebrows with Drakenhoff Nightshade before highlighting them up to keep it in the cool register.

And that's it! Another agent of the Shadow Master complete, and he grows ever stronger...

See you next week on The Art of Caesura!


Watching: Source Code
Reading: Blackstone Fortress Rulebook


Next Week:

Cleanse it with fire...

Comments

Post a Comment

Tell me all...

Popular posts from this blog

The Full Stop - Oathsworn: Into the Deepwood

The monstrous Deepwood has consumed the land.  No farms or fields remain. There is only corruption, rot and the endless shadow of the twisted trees. ~ Shadowborne Games Pot's Peace, Oathsworn. Welcome to The Art of Caesura! What's all this then, TWO posts in one day!? Well yes, you see timing is of the essence here. Today marks the 200th post of The Art of Caesura , so if you haven't had a chance to check out the celebratory post, please do so !  There is also a Kickstarter ongoing at the moment, that I am getting quite excited by, but it closes on Tuesday, so if I left it till next Friday to tell you about it...it would be too late! Hence, in a world first, two hits of The Art of Caesura in one day! Now onward, into the world of Oathsworn: Into the Deepwood ! Credit: Shadowborne Games Nota bene : I am not associated with Shadowborne Games, and am just writing this because it is something that I am genuinely excited about. None of the

"The Skinny" - Scale 75 Flesh Paint Set Review

The complexion of a light-skinned face  divides into three zones: The forehead has a light golden colour  because it's freer of muscles and surface capillaries. The ears, cheeks and nose all lie within the central zone of the face.  Those areas have more capillaries carrying oxygenated blood near the surface, causing the reddish colour... The zone from the nose to the chin (where there are relatively more veins carrying blue deoxygenated blood) tends toward a bluish, greenish or greyish colour. Some artists accentuated this subtle bluish or greenish hue to bring out the reddish lip colour. Color and Light (page 156) - James Gurney Welcome all to The Art of Caesura! So I finished all the models in Warhammer Quest Silver Tower!! Wooohooo!! Now for something a bit different!  This week I'm going to do something I've never done on the blog before: write a review!! I've been wanting to write my thoughts on  Scale 75 's Flesh Paint Set for ov

"From the City of Shadows" - Arkanaut Company (Painting - Part 1)

The City of Shadows has a dubious reputation  amongst the Overlords, often labelled pirates  or worse by other duardin of their rival sky-ports. Barak Mhornar - Games Workshop Welcome back to another Friday on The Art of Caesura! Let's pick it up from last week and dive right back in to the Arkanauts. Last time we saw them they were all grey and naked. No longer!! This is going to be part one of a two-parter on the painting of these guys before we look their bases and then at the finished Company in the following weeks. I was going to try to cram it all into one post, but wow there is a lot of detail on these guys, and we're in no hurry, so best to spread it out and give it all it's due.  Barak Zilfin Colour Scheme When the Kharadron Overlords first came out I was looking at all the colour schemes and thinking "man, Barak Zilfin all the way!  I mean look at all that copper!" But over the year, my tastes have...matured and I came to really