Skip to main content

Marshal Grymm - Part 3 - Face and Base

I think your whole life shows in your face
and you should be proud of that.

~ Lauren Bacall


Happy New Year! Welcome back to The Art of Caesura!

With Christmas and New Year festivities, it has been a couple of weeks since we last saw my Black Templars Marshal, Marshal Grymm. Today, we're going to focus on painting his face and his base. To get us started, here is the end result:


Now that we can see what we're working towards, let's start back at the beginning. Although Vincy V has implored us not to paint skin tones from a black undercoat, I wanted to follow Louise's skin tutorial on Citadel Masterclass as closely as possible. She started from black, so I did too. 


From Abaddon Black, I painted the skin Cadian Fleshtone.


Then I was like...oh wait she did 70:30 Cadian Fleshtone : Wraithbone so I repainted it that way. I then glazed in some pure Cadian Fleshtone to the deeper areas. 


I then ruddied up the cheeks and nose with a glazed mix of Bugman's Glow and Cadian Fleshtone.




Next, I glazed in a bit of Doombull Brown into the eyes and around the nose and mouth and service studs on his forehead; and further darkened the eye sockets with a mix of Doombull Brown and Abaddon Black. 



I (very carefully) painted the sclera with Corax White and painted in the pupil with Abaddon Black. 


I mixed Cadian Fleshtone and The Fang to add a cool tone beneath the eye, highlighting this by adding in Corax White. 


I then highlighted many of the raised areas with the original mix of 70:30 Cadian Fleshtone : Wraithbone, working up to a highlight of pure Wraithbone. 



I used a 60:40 mix of Cadian Fleshtone: Mechanicus Standard Grey to paint a bit of stubble on his chin and around his hairline. 


And here we are! Below are a few photos of the finished face in different lighting conditions. Like the rest of this model, I am doing "try-hard mode" for this whole guy. So this is probably the longest I've spent on a face and I'm really happy with the result!


Here he is in natural light...



...And under my daylight bulb. 





K03rnl sagely suggests that after painting a face, your vision and attention are maximally focused, and that this is a good time to move to other details or freehand. At this point I painted the script on the purity seals (I will discuss painting the details in a future post), and I must admit that I did find it much easier! 

Before I go, I'll quickly mention how I hope to paint the bases for my Black Templar army. I am drawing inspiration from Maxime Corbeil's classic Black Templars


After gluing down beach sand and cork, I painted the sand a mix of Skrag Brown and Avalon Sunset and the cork (and tactical rock) Ushabti Bone. I shaded the whole thing with Seraphim Sepia and then drybrushed the works with Wraithbone. 


Hey! We're getting there! We've looked at the overall plan, his cloak and armour and now his face and base.

Thanks for sticking with me on this guy. It's fun to take a different tact and focus on the minutia of painting one model over several posts (and a couple years now!) See you next week on The Art of Caesura.


Watching: The Last Duel (2021) - Ridley Scott
Reading: The Cthulhu Casebooks Sherlock Holmes and the Shadwell Shadows - James Lovegrove


Next Week:

The devil's in the...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Full Stop - Oathsworn: Into the Deepwood

The monstrous Deepwood has consumed the land.  No farms or fields remain. There is only corruption, rot and the endless shadow of the twisted trees. ~ Shadowborne Games Pot's Peace, Oathsworn. Welcome to The Art of Caesura! What's all this then, TWO posts in one day!? Well yes, you see timing is of the essence here. Today marks the 200th post of The Art of Caesura , so if you haven't had a chance to check out the celebratory post, please do so !  There is also a Kickstarter ongoing at the moment, that I am getting quite excited by, but it closes on Tuesday, so if I left it till next Friday to tell you about it...it would be too late! Hence, in a world first, two hits of The Art of Caesura in one day! Now onward, into the world of Oathsworn: Into the Deepwood ! Credit: Shadowborne Games Nota bene : I am not associated with Shadowborne Games, and am just writing this because it is something that I am genuinely excited about. None of the

"The Skinny" - Scale 75 Flesh Paint Set Review

The complexion of a light-skinned face  divides into three zones: The forehead has a light golden colour  because it's freer of muscles and surface capillaries. The ears, cheeks and nose all lie within the central zone of the face.  Those areas have more capillaries carrying oxygenated blood near the surface, causing the reddish colour... The zone from the nose to the chin (where there are relatively more veins carrying blue deoxygenated blood) tends toward a bluish, greenish or greyish colour. Some artists accentuated this subtle bluish or greenish hue to bring out the reddish lip colour. Color and Light (page 156) - James Gurney Welcome all to The Art of Caesura! So I finished all the models in Warhammer Quest Silver Tower!! Wooohooo!! Now for something a bit different!  This week I'm going to do something I've never done on the blog before: write a review!! I've been wanting to write my thoughts on  Scale 75 's Flesh Paint Set for ov

"From the City of Shadows" - Arkanaut Company (Painting - Part 1)

The City of Shadows has a dubious reputation  amongst the Overlords, often labelled pirates  or worse by other duardin of their rival sky-ports. Barak Mhornar - Games Workshop Welcome back to another Friday on The Art of Caesura! Let's pick it up from last week and dive right back in to the Arkanauts. Last time we saw them they were all grey and naked. No longer!! This is going to be part one of a two-parter on the painting of these guys before we look their bases and then at the finished Company in the following weeks. I was going to try to cram it all into one post, but wow there is a lot of detail on these guys, and we're in no hurry, so best to spread it out and give it all it's due.  Barak Zilfin Colour Scheme When the Kharadron Overlords first came out I was looking at all the colour schemes and thinking "man, Barak Zilfin all the way!  I mean look at all that copper!" But over the year, my tastes have...matured and I came to really