Skip to main content

"Unrestrained Power" - Rogue Psykers

Chaos psykers, often called sorcerers, 
can perform various tasks 
such as summoning Daemons 
and unleashing devastating weaponised 
psychic powers upon the enemy. 

- Warhammer 40k Wiki


Howdy howdy! Welcome back to another Friday on The Art of Caesura!

It has come at last! Enter the warp as we cast our minds back to when we were last looking at Blackstone Fortress. Readers with good memories might recall that I said I was so close to having all of the minis of Blackstone Fortress finished before the blog's last birthday. And it was true! I only had three to go which I ended up finishing within a month of the blog's birthday (so not too shabby, if I do say so myself). Well I actually had these guys painted at the time (I actually painted them back in November) but I was in the midst of showing off Marshal Grymm at the time so I decided to hold these guys back until I got the rest of Blackstone Fortress painted.

Anyway, it is now time to reveal the Rogue Psykers!


God, I really love these models. They are weird and creepy (and have been surprisingly ineffective against us in the game). I remember, when I was assembling these guys, being so impressed with how different they made them look with basically just a simple head- and lower arm- swap. By having them facing in different directions, it changes our viewing angle, which leads to different elements of the models being emphasized, making the models look quite different. Very clever indeed. 


And they are evil too. My wife often pricks her fingers on the one guy's staff!


Anyway, onto the painting. My main goal with these guys was to keep their clothes neutral enough so that their pale, bulbous heads almost glow in contrast.


So, for the skin I started from Grey Seer and then worked in some glazes of S75 Golden Skin. I used this tone, because I thought it would contrast nicely with the colder Grey Seer base coat and also because I wanted it to look quite different from the Cadian Fleshtone that I used for the "good guys".



I used Gurney's facial zones (yellow tones for the forehead, redder tones for the mid-face and bluer tones for the lower face) to bring some life into his mutated features. 


The base tones that I used for the rest of the model were: 
Copper: Screaming Bell
Brown: Doombull Brown + Contrast Wyldwood Brown
Grey: Militarum Grey
Red: Mephiston Red
Silver: Leadbelcher


I painted their armour the same way as I had done for the Traitor Guard to tie them together (i.e. Leadbelcher then Contrast Black Templars over top. I then added some chips and dings to the armour with Vallejo Silver around where the tentacle is bursting out of the guy with the staff (I know, I didn't notice it either!)


Now, let's just sit back and imagine these guys hovering towards you through the dark bowels of the Blackstone Fortress - preceded by the scraping sound of their shackles on the polished alien floor...actually let's not imagine that. Let's just look at some nice atmospheric shots of these guys.












Very cool models. Thanks again for dropping by, I'll see you right back here next week on The Art of Caesura!


Reading: Warhammer 40k 9th Ed. Core Book
Watching: Taboo - Netflix


Next Week:

"He did it!"
"No! He did it!"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Full Stop - Oathsworn: Into the Deepwood

The monstrous Deepwood has consumed the land.  No farms or fields remain. There is only corruption, rot and the endless shadow of the twisted trees. ~ Shadowborne Games Pot's Peace, Oathsworn. Welcome to The Art of Caesura! What's all this then, TWO posts in one day!? Well yes, you see timing is of the essence here. Today marks the 200th post of The Art of Caesura , so if you haven't had a chance to check out the celebratory post, please do so !  There is also a Kickstarter ongoing at the moment, that I am getting quite excited by, but it closes on Tuesday, so if I left it till next Friday to tell you about it...it would be too late! Hence, in a world first, two hits of The Art of Caesura in one day! Now onward, into the world of Oathsworn: Into the Deepwood ! Credit: Shadowborne Games Nota bene : I am not associated with Shadowborne Games, and am just writing this because it is something that I am genuinely excited about. None of the

"The Skinny" - Scale 75 Flesh Paint Set Review

The complexion of a light-skinned face  divides into three zones: The forehead has a light golden colour  because it's freer of muscles and surface capillaries. The ears, cheeks and nose all lie within the central zone of the face.  Those areas have more capillaries carrying oxygenated blood near the surface, causing the reddish colour... The zone from the nose to the chin (where there are relatively more veins carrying blue deoxygenated blood) tends toward a bluish, greenish or greyish colour. Some artists accentuated this subtle bluish or greenish hue to bring out the reddish lip colour. Color and Light (page 156) - James Gurney Welcome all to The Art of Caesura! So I finished all the models in Warhammer Quest Silver Tower!! Wooohooo!! Now for something a bit different!  This week I'm going to do something I've never done on the blog before: write a review!! I've been wanting to write my thoughts on  Scale 75 's Flesh Paint Set for ov

"From the City of Shadows" - Arkanaut Company (Painting - Part 1)

The City of Shadows has a dubious reputation  amongst the Overlords, often labelled pirates  or worse by other duardin of their rival sky-ports. Barak Mhornar - Games Workshop Welcome back to another Friday on The Art of Caesura! Let's pick it up from last week and dive right back in to the Arkanauts. Last time we saw them they were all grey and naked. No longer!! This is going to be part one of a two-parter on the painting of these guys before we look their bases and then at the finished Company in the following weeks. I was going to try to cram it all into one post, but wow there is a lot of detail on these guys, and we're in no hurry, so best to spread it out and give it all it's due.  Barak Zilfin Colour Scheme When the Kharadron Overlords first came out I was looking at all the colour schemes and thinking "man, Barak Zilfin all the way!  I mean look at all that copper!" But over the year, my tastes have...matured and I came to really