Skip to main content

Happy New Year - 2023!

Welcome and Happy New Year's Eve-eve to you all!

Could it really be!? ANOTHER NEW YEAR! 

It seems like only last year that we got one of those and the old thing still had some life in it yet! 

Anyway, as is tradition on The Art of Caesura, today's post is just a quicky to wish you all a very Happy New Year and to show you my recent hobby-related loot haul! We will do our proper tear-filled retrospective in a few weeks' time for the blog's birthday.


Kimera Kolors:


Marco Frisoni was a huge proponent of these paints when I attended his workshop last year, I'm really looking forward to trying them out! What makes these paints somewhat unique is that they are heavy-bodied acrylics aimed at miniature painters that are mostly single-pigment - giving the painter ultimate control over colour mixing without running into muddy browns and greys due to neutal tones which are often added to other miniature paints. 


Weathering Powders:


I am not totally satisfied with the bases of my burgeoning (second) Black Templars army, but I think these are going to push me in the right direction.


Air Compressor!!!!


The great harbinger of things to come is that my wonderful wife (cue Wheel of Fortune spouse introduction) got me a compressor for my airbrush. Until now I have been using one of those starter airbrushes off "Wish" with micro compressor. It has actually been fine and has given me great experience of the process of airbrushing, and how to breakdown and clean an airbrush. The main issue with it is that it only gets up to 8 PSI which means that there's a good bit of speckling around the umbra of what I'm trying to paint. 

With the compressor that my wife got me I'll be bumping those rookie numbers up by a factor of five! (Sooner or) Later in the year I plan to get a "proper" airbrush, but I'll see how I get on with the one that I'm familiar with and a new compressor first. 

In case this fills you with dread that all my work will start to look too smooth and manicured, I'm a huge fan of Marco Frisoni (have I mentioned!?) and I would hope to emulate his style - of using the airbrush to speed up the undercoating / base-coating process and still let the hairy brush do the lion's share of the work with adding texture and detail. 

-~-

So that is a potential look at things to come. In terms of WHAT I am going to paint, who knows!? I am very motivated to continue my Black Templars, but Oathsworn is equally vying for my attention. But likewise, I have many other games (Descent, Marvel Crisis Protocol, Cursed City, Blood Bowl Season 2, and Zombicide Invader (which has gained some priority points for great models to use for Vincey V's "Space Station Zero" game. Not to mention Reichbusters and Warhammer Underworlds). Anyway there is always more to paint. 

What an excellent problem to have. 

Much love for 2023 and I'll see you next week on The Art of Caesura!


Watching: Andor


Next Week:

Visions of grandure...

Comments

  1. Congratulations on the compressor! I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with it as well as the interesting new paints you shared. Happy New Year to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a million! Maybe I'll finally get cracking on Zombicide: Invader; you're really getting through it and making it look like a blast! Happy New Year to you too!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Tell me all...

Popular posts from this blog

The Full Stop - Oathsworn: Into the Deepwood

The monstrous Deepwood has consumed the land.  No farms or fields remain. There is only corruption, rot and the endless shadow of the twisted trees. ~ Shadowborne Games Pot's Peace, Oathsworn. Welcome to The Art of Caesura! What's all this then, TWO posts in one day!? Well yes, you see timing is of the essence here. Today marks the 200th post of The Art of Caesura , so if you haven't had a chance to check out the celebratory post, please do so !  There is also a Kickstarter ongoing at the moment, that I am getting quite excited by, but it closes on Tuesday, so if I left it till next Friday to tell you about it...it would be too late! Hence, in a world first, two hits of The Art of Caesura in one day! Now onward, into the world of Oathsworn: Into the Deepwood ! Credit: Shadowborne Games Nota bene : I am not associated with Shadowborne Games, and am just writing this because it is something that I am genuinely excited about. None of the

"The Skinny" - Scale 75 Flesh Paint Set Review

The complexion of a light-skinned face  divides into three zones: The forehead has a light golden colour  because it's freer of muscles and surface capillaries. The ears, cheeks and nose all lie within the central zone of the face.  Those areas have more capillaries carrying oxygenated blood near the surface, causing the reddish colour... The zone from the nose to the chin (where there are relatively more veins carrying blue deoxygenated blood) tends toward a bluish, greenish or greyish colour. Some artists accentuated this subtle bluish or greenish hue to bring out the reddish lip colour. Color and Light (page 156) - James Gurney Welcome all to The Art of Caesura! So I finished all the models in Warhammer Quest Silver Tower!! Wooohooo!! Now for something a bit different!  This week I'm going to do something I've never done on the blog before: write a review!! I've been wanting to write my thoughts on  Scale 75 's Flesh Paint Set for ov

"From the City of Shadows" - Arkanaut Company (Painting - Part 1)

The City of Shadows has a dubious reputation  amongst the Overlords, often labelled pirates  or worse by other duardin of their rival sky-ports. Barak Mhornar - Games Workshop Welcome back to another Friday on The Art of Caesura! Let's pick it up from last week and dive right back in to the Arkanauts. Last time we saw them they were all grey and naked. No longer!! This is going to be part one of a two-parter on the painting of these guys before we look their bases and then at the finished Company in the following weeks. I was going to try to cram it all into one post, but wow there is a lot of detail on these guys, and we're in no hurry, so best to spread it out and give it all it's due.  Barak Zilfin Colour Scheme When the Kharadron Overlords first came out I was looking at all the colour schemes and thinking "man, Barak Zilfin all the way!  I mean look at all that copper!" But over the year, my tastes have...matured and I came to really