Skip to main content

"It's Just a Flesh Wound" - Primaris Apothecary - Part 2

Their most important duty, though, concerns the dead; 
an Apothecary can harvest the progenoid organs 
from a fallen Space Marine, 
ensuring the creation of further warriors 
and the continuation of the Chapter.



Welcome back to The Art of Caesura!

I hope you are all well! Before we dig into today's topic, I like to start my posts these days with a bit of reflection. 

My wife and I just finished "Outlast" on Netflix. It's a reality TV show basically like "Survivor" of old, but with actual survivalists (folks who go and live out in the wilderness for lengths of time as their hobby). Anyway it was a great and engaging watch and one of the stars of the show was the stunningly beautiful Alaskan wilderness. As a biome, it is very similar to the part of Canada that I'm from (The Pacific Northwest). This kindled the desire to get back to nature, to hiking (previously something my wife and I would have done almost weekly) and reminded me of the Henry Thorough quote:

"All good things are wild and free."

So I urge you, if you're feeling too caught up in the rat-race or the daily grind, try to make some time to reconnect with nature, I think you'll find it grounding. 

Anyway, nothing to do with today's miniature, but something to reflect on nonetheless.


Today, we're picking up from last week's Primaris Apothecary, by looking at him in his completed state with atmospheric lighting and all! Hopefully I've completed his base in time for his photoshoot (I haven't at time of writing - eek!).


As you can see, I did manage to finish his base (no small feat as it involved painting half an Intercessor in the process). It was also a big deal because I was experimenting with a new style of basing that I'm going to use for my Black Templars.


As I mentioned previously, I felt that my desert basing (meant to represent the planet Armageddon) was too similar in tone to the (many) tabbards on my Black Templars. This redder basing (the process for which I will detail in a future post) is more inline with the vision I had for my Templars, so I'm thrilled with it. And what's even better is that it won't take too much to paint over the bases of the Black Templars that I have already painted. 


In case you're squinting away at your screen trying to make out what it says on the scroll on his pauldron, it's "Vita" with a mini Maltese cross; meaning "Life" in Latin (in keeping with his role of healer).  


Below, you can see a better top-down look at my new basing style.


Here he is examining the progenoid gland which he has just removed from the Intercessor's neck.



I think the Pauldron from Scribor Miniatures (seen below) adds some nice gravitas to the otherwise streamlined Primaris armour.


Although this is his showcase post, I've included some of the work-in-progress shots of his base, just so you can get a better look at it under neutral light and when compared to my previous style of basing. 



I'm really happy with how this guy turned out. His dirty white armour stands out nicely amongst his Templar brethren.


And that's a wrap! I hope you enjoyed looking at a Space Marine of a different colour for a change! 


Playing: Cranium!
Reading: Detransition, Baby - Torrey Peters


Next Week:

Unforgiven...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Full Stop - Oathsworn: Into the Deepwood

The monstrous Deepwood has consumed the land.  No farms or fields remain. There is only corruption, rot and the endless shadow of the twisted trees. ~ Shadowborne Games Pot's Peace, Oathsworn. Welcome to The Art of Caesura! What's all this then, TWO posts in one day!? Well yes, you see timing is of the essence here. Today marks the 200th post of The Art of Caesura , so if you haven't had a chance to check out the celebratory post, please do so !  There is also a Kickstarter ongoing at the moment, that I am getting quite excited by, but it closes on Tuesday, so if I left it till next Friday to tell you about it...it would be too late! Hence, in a world first, two hits of The Art of Caesura in one day! Now onward, into the world of Oathsworn: Into the Deepwood ! Credit: Shadowborne Games Nota bene : I am not associated with Shadowborne Games, and am just writing this because it is something that I am genuinely excited about. None of the

"The Skinny" - Scale 75 Flesh Paint Set Review

The complexion of a light-skinned face  divides into three zones: The forehead has a light golden colour  because it's freer of muscles and surface capillaries. The ears, cheeks and nose all lie within the central zone of the face.  Those areas have more capillaries carrying oxygenated blood near the surface, causing the reddish colour... The zone from the nose to the chin (where there are relatively more veins carrying blue deoxygenated blood) tends toward a bluish, greenish or greyish colour. Some artists accentuated this subtle bluish or greenish hue to bring out the reddish lip colour. Color and Light (page 156) - James Gurney Welcome all to The Art of Caesura! So I finished all the models in Warhammer Quest Silver Tower!! Wooohooo!! Now for something a bit different!  This week I'm going to do something I've never done on the blog before: write a review!! I've been wanting to write my thoughts on  Scale 75 's Flesh Paint Set for ov

"From the City of Shadows" - Arkanaut Company (Painting - Part 1)

The City of Shadows has a dubious reputation  amongst the Overlords, often labelled pirates  or worse by other duardin of their rival sky-ports. Barak Mhornar - Games Workshop Welcome back to another Friday on The Art of Caesura! Let's pick it up from last week and dive right back in to the Arkanauts. Last time we saw them they were all grey and naked. No longer!! This is going to be part one of a two-parter on the painting of these guys before we look their bases and then at the finished Company in the following weeks. I was going to try to cram it all into one post, but wow there is a lot of detail on these guys, and we're in no hurry, so best to spread it out and give it all it's due.  Barak Zilfin Colour Scheme When the Kharadron Overlords first came out I was looking at all the colour schemes and thinking "man, Barak Zilfin all the way!  I mean look at all that copper!" But over the year, my tastes have...matured and I came to really