Skip to main content

Land Raider Crusader - Part 1 - The Discovery

A linebreaker without peer, the Land Raider Crusader 
can smash through enemy formations, 
disgorging Space Marine assault troops 
into the heart of the enemy position.



Hello and welcome back to an exciting week on The Art of Caesura!

I mentioned last week that I am really pushing to get a painted Black Templars force together with 10th edition now upon us. I really want this edition to be the one that I become more involved in my local gaming community, and a painted army is the first step in that direction. 

And I used to have a fully painted Black Templars army - back in 3rd edition! You can read about my introduction to Black Templars, and my reflections on the recent range refresh in this post. I actually still have that army (I must dig it out and show you sometime), but when I started to get back into 40k in 9th edition, I wanted to have an all new Black Templars army with all the shiny new things from the current range. 

However, when they announced that Primaris Space Marines would now be able to ride in Land Raiders, my interest was piqued. My old Land Raider Crusader was the pride and joy of my army 20 years ago and it's still basically the current model (mine had a metal upgrade kit for the hurricane bolter sponsons, assault cannons, multi-melta and frag launchers - in the current kit, those are plastic); but I think the rest of the tank is the exact same model!

So, I decided to do something that I had never done before...repaint one of my old models!

Last year, when I was at my childhood home in Canada, I found my old Crusader in a box in the basement. After several years of service, and many more in storage, it was...not in great shape. I gathered all the bits I could find, bunged them in my suitcase and flew them 7 207km to my home in Ireland. 


When I had the chance to actually sit down and look at everything, I was pleasantly surprised to find that, although many of the metal bits had fallen off, very few pieces were broken and, remarkably, none were actually missing!


So, what happened was: I bought it and played with it for a year or two before the Black Templars upgrade sprue (the original one, mind) was released so I went back and tried to "upgrade" the front hatch unfortunately mangling the mechanism that let both does open simultaneously. As you can see, I never got around to painting those upgraded bits. 


Interestingly (perhaps) the original Black Templars sprue was the very first CAD (computer-aided design) that Games Workshop ever created!! The second one was, I think the Orc Warboss from Warhammer Fantasy. They mentioned that in one of the StormCast podcasts that Wade used to host before he was a Lorekeeper.  


Anyway, as you can see, I somehow lavished WAY more attention on painting the INSIDE of the tank than the parts you could actually see (where I basically sprayed it black, painted the treads Mithril Silver and called it a day). Thank God I painted the inside to some standard, because there was no way I was getting a brush in there for the re-paint (as you'll see in the coming weeks). 



I honestly don't know how a middle portion of the tread fell off. Your guess is as good as mine!



Ouch. Not looking great. It actually kind of hurts to see it like this after the memories I have of it kicking ass on the tabletops of yesteryear! But hey, that was the impetus for this whole process. 



Man, look at that DUST! I didn't even clean it off, I just sprayed over it!





One of the hurricane bolter sponsons was fully intact! What are the chances!? Considering they each weigh about half a kilo and the other one was in a million pieces. 



Now, this last pic is actually of the dozer blade of my old Vindicator that I found at the same time as my Land Raider Crusader, but I had to throw it in. I mean how awesome was I (obviously that's an Eldar guardian painted in the same colour scheme as my regular opponent at the time. What you can't see is that the blade on the far left is broken off and in my head-cannon a genestealer had been impaled and managed to claw it's way off. Hence the 3-clawed scratches. 


I sense an exciting month of Land Raider Crusader posts right here on The Art of Caesura!


Watching: Barbecue Showdown - Season 2 - Netflix.  
Gaming: Diablo IV


Next Week: 

Call in the Techmarines

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Full Stop - Oathsworn: Into the Deepwood

The monstrous Deepwood has consumed the land.  No farms or fields remain. There is only corruption, rot and the endless shadow of the twisted trees. ~ Shadowborne Games Pot's Peace, Oathsworn. Welcome to The Art of Caesura! What's all this then, TWO posts in one day!? Well yes, you see timing is of the essence here. Today marks the 200th post of The Art of Caesura , so if you haven't had a chance to check out the celebratory post, please do so !  There is also a Kickstarter ongoing at the moment, that I am getting quite excited by, but it closes on Tuesday, so if I left it till next Friday to tell you about it...it would be too late! Hence, in a world first, two hits of The Art of Caesura in one day! Now onward, into the world of Oathsworn: Into the Deepwood ! Credit: Shadowborne Games Nota bene : I am not associated with Shadowborne Games, and am just writing this because it is something that I am genuinely excited about. None of the

"The Skinny" - Scale 75 Flesh Paint Set Review

The complexion of a light-skinned face  divides into three zones: The forehead has a light golden colour  because it's freer of muscles and surface capillaries. The ears, cheeks and nose all lie within the central zone of the face.  Those areas have more capillaries carrying oxygenated blood near the surface, causing the reddish colour... The zone from the nose to the chin (where there are relatively more veins carrying blue deoxygenated blood) tends toward a bluish, greenish or greyish colour. Some artists accentuated this subtle bluish or greenish hue to bring out the reddish lip colour. Color and Light (page 156) - James Gurney Welcome all to The Art of Caesura! So I finished all the models in Warhammer Quest Silver Tower!! Wooohooo!! Now for something a bit different!  This week I'm going to do something I've never done on the blog before: write a review!! I've been wanting to write my thoughts on  Scale 75 's Flesh Paint Set for ov

"From the City of Shadows" - Arkanaut Company (Painting - Part 1)

The City of Shadows has a dubious reputation  amongst the Overlords, often labelled pirates  or worse by other duardin of their rival sky-ports. Barak Mhornar - Games Workshop Welcome back to another Friday on The Art of Caesura! Let's pick it up from last week and dive right back in to the Arkanauts. Last time we saw them they were all grey and naked. No longer!! This is going to be part one of a two-parter on the painting of these guys before we look their bases and then at the finished Company in the following weeks. I was going to try to cram it all into one post, but wow there is a lot of detail on these guys, and we're in no hurry, so best to spread it out and give it all it's due.  Barak Zilfin Colour Scheme When the Kharadron Overlords first came out I was looking at all the colour schemes and thinking "man, Barak Zilfin all the way!  I mean look at all that copper!" But over the year, my tastes have...matured and I came to really