Skip to main content

Mentioning Malifaux

Only a handful of people have any idea how they discovered the world just outside of our existence, but only the faintest veil kept our two realities apart...and all walls can be knocked down.

Malifaux - 2nd Edition Rule Book



Hi Gang, and welcome back to The Art of Caesura!

Hope the week has been a good one. I just started a new job this week, so that’s been pretty awesome!

When I started this blog I wasn’t exactly sure which direction it would go. Would it be a strictly miniatures blog? Would it focus on one miniature game exclusively? Would it be about hobbies in general? I’m happy with how it’s going. I like that it’s largely about miniatures, with other hobbies thrown in fortnightly. Let me know what you think? Is there something you’d like me to focus more on?

If I were going to focus exclusively on miniature game / line it would be Malifaux. This might seem funny because I’ve barely mentioned Malifaux up until now. But secretly in the background, while I’ve been covering all the awesome Victorian Horror-Steampunk World of Smog minis, I’ve been amassing a bunch of awesome Victorian Horror-Steampunk Malifaux minis. In fact off to the right of the very first picture on my blog I snuck in The Hungering Darkness.

Malifaux

I didn’t really want to mention it because I knew I would want to devote a whole blog post to mentioning Malifaux, and was too busy paining up my World of Smog dudes. Now, I still have over half of the World of Smog minis to paint, but I’m taking a little sabbatical and moving over to Malifaux for a bit.

I LOVE the setting of Malifaux: late 1700’s, a portal opens, people go in and explore, they find these crazy stones that bring magic back into the real world but can only be recharged by being around people when they die. A roaring trade in these “soulstones” kicks off and the city on the other side of the portal (The Breach) gets re-built: Malifaux. Then a decade later, suddenly the portal starts to close, people become frantic, those on the outside will lose magic, those on the inside will be stuck in Malifaux. As the portal gets smaller and smaller the people on the outside can hear sounds of battle, screams, a torso flies through just before the portal closes, and carved into its flesh is “Ours”.

So now it’s 100 years later and the portal has just re-opened…

Pretty cool eh? Well I sure think so.

Malifaux

It also helps that the models are beautiful (more detailed that a lot of the Games Workshop stuff I was used to), and the company is really good at engaging with their community. That being said, I find the models much more difficult to assemble, but I’ll talk more about that next time.

I’m coming at Malifaux from a different perspective than many of the Malifaux blogs and podcasts that I’ve seen. They often focus equally on game strategy and modelling, or often just on strategy. I’ll be focusing solely on the modelling side of things, much as I’ve done with my World of Smog posts.

I’ll leave you this week with some of the Malifaux resources that I follow:
Every month or so Ash posts a great game of Malifaux under his moniker: “Unto the Breach”

I think this comes out fortnightly, and it’s the official Wyrd podcast building up the world of Malifaux.

Not only Malifaux, but great paint jobs and photos

I’ll stop here, otherwise the whole post will just turn into links, but I just want to make sure you’re aware of the largest internet miniature site.

As I say, there are a whole whack of great resources out there which we can talk about in future weeks.

Thanks for checking out my first baby-steps into the world of Malifaux on The Art of Caesura.


Watching: Daredevil – Season One


Next week:
We'll look at the miniatures for Malifaux and those that I've managed to get my hands on so far. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Full Stop - Oathsworn: Into the Deepwood

The monstrous Deepwood has consumed the land.  No farms or fields remain. There is only corruption, rot and the endless shadow of the twisted trees. ~ Shadowborne Games Pot's Peace, Oathsworn. Welcome to The Art of Caesura! What's all this then, TWO posts in one day!? Well yes, you see timing is of the essence here. Today marks the 200th post of The Art of Caesura , so if you haven't had a chance to check out the celebratory post, please do so !  There is also a Kickstarter ongoing at the moment, that I am getting quite excited by, but it closes on Tuesday, so if I left it till next Friday to tell you about it...it would be too late! Hence, in a world first, two hits of The Art of Caesura in one day! Now onward, into the world of Oathsworn: Into the Deepwood ! Credit: Shadowborne Games Nota bene : I am not associated with Shadowborne Games, and am just writing this because it is something that I am genuinely excited about. None of the

"The Skinny" - Scale 75 Flesh Paint Set Review

The complexion of a light-skinned face  divides into three zones: The forehead has a light golden colour  because it's freer of muscles and surface capillaries. The ears, cheeks and nose all lie within the central zone of the face.  Those areas have more capillaries carrying oxygenated blood near the surface, causing the reddish colour... The zone from the nose to the chin (where there are relatively more veins carrying blue deoxygenated blood) tends toward a bluish, greenish or greyish colour. Some artists accentuated this subtle bluish or greenish hue to bring out the reddish lip colour. Color and Light (page 156) - James Gurney Welcome all to The Art of Caesura! So I finished all the models in Warhammer Quest Silver Tower!! Wooohooo!! Now for something a bit different!  This week I'm going to do something I've never done on the blog before: write a review!! I've been wanting to write my thoughts on  Scale 75 's Flesh Paint Set for ov

Warhammer 40k for Beginners - Writing an Army List

Hello again good friends of the Caesura! I am glad to report that I am feeling much better than last week, recovered from most of my COVID symptoms. Continuing from last week's post , I'm ready to tell you more about the lists that JP and I took for my first game of Warhammer 40k in over a decade and a half.  I have tried to write this post for those who know very little about playing Warhammer 40k (which was me when I started preparing for this game).  So, I knew that I wanted to keep things straightforward for my first game and that we were playing to 500 points. For those non-warhammerites, this is basically the smallest game you can play - less moving parts to keep track of.  Here is my list again, but this time I will discuss what it all means, and my thought process behind each choice: + Stratagems [-1CP] + Stratagem: Revered Repositories [-1CP] This just means that before the game I used one of my finite resources ("Command Points") to buy a very fancy weapon (