Skip to main content

The Night Watchman

It's one of the tragic ironies of the theatre
that only one man in it can count on steady work 
- the night watchman.

- Tallulah Bankhead


Welcome back for another week of The Art of Caesura!

So, rest assured, I’m actually here this time. I am happy though that the autonomous posting of last week’s entry actually happened. Iceland was awesome, I’ll have to tell you about it sometime.

Those “long-term” Caesurians amongst you will remember the glory of Sabre back in February (and the celebrated tasting just a few weeks back). The dark English-bitter Ale that I brewed in my bathroom. I was really happy with how it turned out and impressed that it lasted me 3 months (to the day!) Unfortunately, I wasn’t quite organized enough to have started another brew before finishing the first one…but I have started it now…




I’m brewing a porter this time. I love dark beers, and among my favourites are: Phillips’ Longboat Chocolate Porter and Galway Bay Brewery’s Stormy Port. These two legends form the inspiration for my Nightwatchman Porter. Being from the same brewery (Mangrove Jacks) as my previous brew, the preparation and fermentation process has been pretty similar between the two. I made a few minor changes like thoroughly mixing the liquid malt extract and boiling water before adding the other 20L of cool water, and aerating the whole lot after it was all mixed.



One big change I made was to get rid of all my 330mL bottles. I've replaced them with 20 x 500mL re-sealable bottles. They'll be a lot more convenient in the future, and look dope as hell. 




We’re currently 14 days in and I was hoping to have some photos of the bottling for you but the specific gravity is still off the charts. Way too high. I blame the palace of fermentation (read: our spare washroom) being too cold but apparently the cooler temperature makes fermentation take longer but can actually result in better tasting beer, so I’m fine with that!



I'll check the specific gravity in a week and see if we're ready to bottle then!

Have a great week and I'll see you next time on The Art of Caesura. 



Reading: Steampunk Soldiers: Uniforms & Weapons from the Age of Steam - Philip Smith, Joe McCullough
Listening: The River – The Boss. 
Drinking: Golden Ratio - William Bros. Brewing Co., Scotland


Next Week:
A pat on the back to a surprising company...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Full Stop - Oathsworn: Into the Deepwood

The monstrous Deepwood has consumed the land.  No farms or fields remain. There is only corruption, rot and the endless shadow of the twisted trees. ~ Shadowborne Games Pot's Peace, Oathsworn. Welcome to The Art of Caesura! What's all this then, TWO posts in one day!? Well yes, you see timing is of the essence here. Today marks the 200th post of The Art of Caesura , so if you haven't had a chance to check out the celebratory post, please do so !  There is also a Kickstarter ongoing at the moment, that I am getting quite excited by, but it closes on Tuesday, so if I left it till next Friday to tell you about it...it would be too late! Hence, in a world first, two hits of The Art of Caesura in one day! Now onward, into the world of Oathsworn: Into the Deepwood ! Credit: Shadowborne Games Nota bene : I am not associated with Shadowborne Games, and am just writing this because it is something that I am genuinely excited about. None of the

"The Skinny" - Scale 75 Flesh Paint Set Review

The complexion of a light-skinned face  divides into three zones: The forehead has a light golden colour  because it's freer of muscles and surface capillaries. The ears, cheeks and nose all lie within the central zone of the face.  Those areas have more capillaries carrying oxygenated blood near the surface, causing the reddish colour... The zone from the nose to the chin (where there are relatively more veins carrying blue deoxygenated blood) tends toward a bluish, greenish or greyish colour. Some artists accentuated this subtle bluish or greenish hue to bring out the reddish lip colour. Color and Light (page 156) - James Gurney Welcome all to The Art of Caesura! So I finished all the models in Warhammer Quest Silver Tower!! Wooohooo!! Now for something a bit different!  This week I'm going to do something I've never done on the blog before: write a review!! I've been wanting to write my thoughts on  Scale 75 's Flesh Paint Set for ov

Warhammer 40k for Beginners - Writing an Army List

Hello again good friends of the Caesura! I am glad to report that I am feeling much better than last week, recovered from most of my COVID symptoms. Continuing from last week's post , I'm ready to tell you more about the lists that JP and I took for my first game of Warhammer 40k in over a decade and a half.  I have tried to write this post for those who know very little about playing Warhammer 40k (which was me when I started preparing for this game).  So, I knew that I wanted to keep things straightforward for my first game and that we were playing to 500 points. For those non-warhammerites, this is basically the smallest game you can play - less moving parts to keep track of.  Here is my list again, but this time I will discuss what it all means, and my thought process behind each choice: + Stratagems [-1CP] + Stratagem: Revered Repositories [-1CP] This just means that before the game I used one of my finite resources ("Command Points") to buy a very fancy weapon (