Skip to main content

"Huggy D" - The Hungering Darkness

"Before the Breach opened,
there were many powerful creatures,
and the Hungering Darkness was one of them,
though it had a different name then..."

Malifaux 2E Rulebook



Hey team, time for another week's The Art of Caesura!

Boy, it's been a big week! Two great friends got married (I had the honour of having a wee guitar session at the after-reception), I started another new job - the nature of my work means I start something completely new every 3-6 months which is cool, exciting and a bit daunting for the first week or so. Also our car has been in the shop all week. This last bit is a bit of a shame because my beautiful new beer kit and bottles are at the postal depot, but I can't quite get out there with my bike.

Anyway enough life biz. I hope you've all been well, and if not, I hope you get better soon. 

So this week we're going back to something that I thought this blog would be much more of! Malifaux. I really love the minis and lore of Malifaux - an alternate Victorian era with magic and all kinds of mayhem. This week I painted up a model who's a bit of a big deal in Malifaux.

The Hungering Darkness (which has to be one of the coolest names ever), or Huggy D as he's affectionately known by the Malifaux community, is this daemon-thing that has possessed this gambler-guy, Jakob Lynch, so that it can peddle its mind-control drug "Brilliance". Plus he's no sap on the board either, he can deal loads of damage and re-incarnate himself. Sounds amazing, right? Unfortunately he's also plagues by having a model that is almost universally maligned. His model is inexplicably a mix between a larva and a deep-sea fish. Not quite what I would envisage when I hear Hungering Darkness...but more on that another time. 


I don't own this image
So, how ugly is this guy really? Well, pretty hideous, but I think the model itself has a lot of potential. Most people take the name literally and paint this guy black, or purple - the colour of the Neverborn (the daemons in Malifaux) but after having tested the technique on The Hybrid, I capitalized on the whole larval look.


Huggy D

But I kept his maw super dark to give the impression that he literally devours you with darkness. Yum. 


Huggy D


I base-coated him (by hand, my spray paint is still being a bit glitchy) black, then undercoated him a nice reddy-brown working up to Ushabti Bone and even Scar White on his teeth. I gave an all-over wash of Gryphonne-Sepia and a partial wash of Agrax Earthshade (my first use of it!) into the crevices, then highlighted up the high points using plenty of Lamian Medium. After that I used about 8 layers of Nuln Oil on his cute little arms. I was trying to get a similar effect to the mini I'm going to show you next week - let me know what you think, and I'll give you my thoughts next Friday. 


Huggy D

Huggy D

Looking at him again I think I might have been subconsciously influenced by the texture of the aliens in Independence Day. I obviously slathered him in liberal coats of gloss varnish, I think it really pulls the look together. I then delighted in setting him on this Secret Weapon base, slithering out of a "Foul Sewer" great eh? 

I had a ton of fun with this guy and hope you enjoyed having a goo. See you next time on The Art of Caesura.


Listening: Make You Better - The Decemberists 
Also Listening: The Wrote and the Writ - Johnny Flynn
Watching: Ghostbusters 2016


Next Week:
An illuminating mini...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Full Stop - Oathsworn: Into the Deepwood

The monstrous Deepwood has consumed the land.  No farms or fields remain. There is only corruption, rot and the endless shadow of the twisted trees. ~ Shadowborne Games Pot's Peace, Oathsworn. Welcome to The Art of Caesura! What's all this then, TWO posts in one day!? Well yes, you see timing is of the essence here. Today marks the 200th post of The Art of Caesura , so if you haven't had a chance to check out the celebratory post, please do so !  There is also a Kickstarter ongoing at the moment, that I am getting quite excited by, but it closes on Tuesday, so if I left it till next Friday to tell you about it...it would be too late! Hence, in a world first, two hits of The Art of Caesura in one day! Now onward, into the world of Oathsworn: Into the Deepwood ! Credit: Shadowborne Games Nota bene : I am not associated with Shadowborne Games, and am just writing this because it is something that I am genuinely excited about. None of the

"The Skinny" - Scale 75 Flesh Paint Set Review

The complexion of a light-skinned face  divides into three zones: The forehead has a light golden colour  because it's freer of muscles and surface capillaries. The ears, cheeks and nose all lie within the central zone of the face.  Those areas have more capillaries carrying oxygenated blood near the surface, causing the reddish colour... The zone from the nose to the chin (where there are relatively more veins carrying blue deoxygenated blood) tends toward a bluish, greenish or greyish colour. Some artists accentuated this subtle bluish or greenish hue to bring out the reddish lip colour. Color and Light (page 156) - James Gurney Welcome all to The Art of Caesura! So I finished all the models in Warhammer Quest Silver Tower!! Wooohooo!! Now for something a bit different!  This week I'm going to do something I've never done on the blog before: write a review!! I've been wanting to write my thoughts on  Scale 75 's Flesh Paint Set for ov

Citadel COLOUR Contrast Paints First Impressions / Review

Hello and welcome to a special edition of The Art of Caesura! I've just returned from Warhammer Fest 2019 (and what a brilliant time it was!) Without a doubt, the big reveal of the festival was the new Contrast Paints that Games Workshop are touting.  They have seriously been marketing the bejesus out of these things, whether it be the three hilarious teaser videos in recent months: Leading up to today's reveal trailer: Or the heavy branding throughout today's swag bag and arena: Including half of an entire floor devoted to display cases of miniatures painted entirely with the new Contrast Paints - and, more excitingly, demo pods where we could give them a spin ourselves! But, I'm getting ahead of myself. I attended a seminar on the science behind the new Contrast Paints and between that and what I saw (and experienced) today, I'd like to share as much of it with you as possible. At the moment information i