Skip to main content

"The Colour of Darkness" - Mourngul / Hungering Darkness

The Hungering Darkness is a powerful spirit,
an ancient entity that spreads its
corrupting energies outward, 
flooding the physical world with a rush
of addictive magical energies called Brilliance.

PullMyFinger - Malifaux M2E Wiki


Happy Friday on The Art of Caesura!

Last week I talked about building Forgeworld's Mourgul as a stand-in for Malifaux's The Hungering Darkness. This week we'll look at the finished painted product! I would encourage you, if I may, for greatest viewing pleasure, please click on the photos to scroll through enlarged versions. 

I put heaps of thought into how I was going to paint this guy. I got a ton of inspiration from Mournguls that others had painted through the vastness of the interwebs. After painting my first Huggy D light larval colours that I felt worked well with his model, I knew I wanted to have one that was true to it's name: Darkness. 

I started with an all-over base coat of Steel Legion Drab and darkened it all down with multiple washes of watered down Agrax Earthshade and Nuln Oil. Then I lightened it all back up by mixing in Ushabti Bone with good ol' painter's tears (Lahmian Medium). Because it's such a large model, I really had to take my time and use tons of thin layers. 





In art theory they talk about the importance of a spot colour in different parts of a painting / miniature that draws a viewer's gaze across the work (often in triangles). The triangle that I created here wasn't by using a colour, but rather a texture. The gloss varnish on the talons and maw of the monster draw one's 
eyes across the model in this way. 



In terms of the story behind how I painted this guy, I was originally going to have him super bloody. Blood all over his face, all over his hands up to just past the wrists (to better conceal the wrist join-lines). I actually had my pot of Blood for the Blood God open in front of me, but I just couldn't bring myself to do it. I'd put too much care into highlighting every tendon of his hands and all that, so I'm going with the idea that this creature, The Hungering Darkness, is in a way, immaterial. His talons are magical (denoted by the gloss varnish) and able to ravish this poor horse, but he remains unaltered, maybe the blood passes right through him. Hence, forever hungering. 

Another thing I noticed while I was painting this guy is that even though he's unhinging his massive jaws as if in a terrifying shriek, If you look closely, his voice box and gullet are actually ripped out. Forever hungering silently. 


On to the horse. I don't know much about horses, but I knew I wanted to have a light coloured horse to contrast The Darkness. I looked up "Blonde Horse" and found this beaut:


I do not own this picture
Who I used as inspiration for the markings on the horse's face. With the colour of the body of the horse, I knew that if I made it too light I would run the risk of distracting the focal point away from The Hungering Darkness' mouth. So although the horse has many colours: the silver and bronze of the gattling gun, the blue of the saddle blanket, the stirrups, the red gore, I tried to do muted versions of these colours with liberal use of shades and very subtle highlights.





Thanks guys for tuning in this week and thank you for helping encourage me to paint a model a week through this blog. I feel like my painting has come on a ways even just since starting this blog. I'll leave you with a few more shots of The Hungering Darkness:




Mourngul

See you next week!


Listening: At Giza (2006) - Om
Watching: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (1988) - Frank Oz
Reading: The Library of Babel (1941) - Jorge Luis Borges (A 5 page short story that'll blow your mind!)


Next Week
Consuming Columbus...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Full Stop - Oathsworn: Into the Deepwood

The monstrous Deepwood has consumed the land.  No farms or fields remain. There is only corruption, rot and the endless shadow of the twisted trees. ~ Shadowborne Games Pot's Peace, Oathsworn. Welcome to The Art of Caesura! What's all this then, TWO posts in one day!? Well yes, you see timing is of the essence here. Today marks the 200th post of The Art of Caesura , so if you haven't had a chance to check out the celebratory post, please do so !  There is also a Kickstarter ongoing at the moment, that I am getting quite excited by, but it closes on Tuesday, so if I left it till next Friday to tell you about it...it would be too late! Hence, in a world first, two hits of The Art of Caesura in one day! Now onward, into the world of Oathsworn: Into the Deepwood ! Credit: Shadowborne Games Nota bene : I am not associated with Shadowborne Games, and am just writing this because it is something that I am genuinely excited about. None of the

"The Skinny" - Scale 75 Flesh Paint Set Review

The complexion of a light-skinned face  divides into three zones: The forehead has a light golden colour  because it's freer of muscles and surface capillaries. The ears, cheeks and nose all lie within the central zone of the face.  Those areas have more capillaries carrying oxygenated blood near the surface, causing the reddish colour... The zone from the nose to the chin (where there are relatively more veins carrying blue deoxygenated blood) tends toward a bluish, greenish or greyish colour. Some artists accentuated this subtle bluish or greenish hue to bring out the reddish lip colour. Color and Light (page 156) - James Gurney Welcome all to The Art of Caesura! So I finished all the models in Warhammer Quest Silver Tower!! Wooohooo!! Now for something a bit different!  This week I'm going to do something I've never done on the blog before: write a review!! I've been wanting to write my thoughts on  Scale 75 's Flesh Paint Set for ov

Warhammer 40k for Beginners - Writing an Army List

Hello again good friends of the Caesura! I am glad to report that I am feeling much better than last week, recovered from most of my COVID symptoms. Continuing from last week's post , I'm ready to tell you more about the lists that JP and I took for my first game of Warhammer 40k in over a decade and a half.  I have tried to write this post for those who know very little about playing Warhammer 40k (which was me when I started preparing for this game).  So, I knew that I wanted to keep things straightforward for my first game and that we were playing to 500 points. For those non-warhammerites, this is basically the smallest game you can play - less moving parts to keep track of.  Here is my list again, but this time I will discuss what it all means, and my thought process behind each choice: + Stratagems [-1CP] + Stratagem: Revered Repositories [-1CP] This just means that before the game I used one of my finite resources ("Command Points") to buy a very fancy weapon (