Skip to main content

Life Around the Caesura

Caesura



Hey friends, welcome to a bit of a different post this week on The Art of Caesura!





When I first set out to start this blog, one of the fundamental purposes was to encourage me (by holding me accountable to you) to re-engage in a lot of my hobbies that had fallen by the wayside. Before the blog I would paint maybe 10 minis per year - last year I painted over 60! Woooohooo, it worked!

Just as hobbies are a distraction from our other daily occupations, and just as a caesura is a break in a line of poetry or music, I have mostly tried to keep myself out of this blog. My purpose is not to have a lifestyle blog, and I want my art / hobbies / beer that I'm posting about to speak for themselves. 

But for today that's all going to change...

Long and Medium-term readers might be aware that I have had a smorgasbord of exciting and life-changing events occur over the past month or so, so today I'd like to give you a little peek behind the curtain.

"New" Car:


Well, new to us, and the first car I've ever bought! Her name's "Big Bertha" and she could swallow our other car (a Yaris - "Mags") in one gulp! I'm more of a bicycle man myself but the next two things on this list required a car. 


New House in New Town:


Ireland

Ireland

Ireland's beautiful Dingle Peninsula. This is where I live. I know, right!?


New Job:



My new work is just off the bottom left of this picture!


Stag Party:



I had my stag one week before the wedding so that all my friends travelling from North America could attend! We went to Winterfell and had a hilarious time!


WEDDING:




Dreams come true.


Honeymoon:




Over 30 degrees (Celsius) every day, crystal clear Adriatic swimming 10 of our 12 days there...Croatia was absolute paradise! Plus it had the advantage of continuing our Game of Thrones themed festivities with a place near Split where they filmed Marene, and Dubrovnik where they basically just had to change the flags to film King's Landing. 


New Changes:

I'm always looking to improve this blog and if you ever have suggestions to that end please do feel encouraged to post them in the comments section or privately message me. 

One small change that I've actually already started to implement is how I title my entries. Traditionally I like to have a "creative" title, (sometimes loosely) related to the topic of the day. These titles are fun, but make it a bit tricky to find a specific old post. If you were looking specifically for my Magnitized Megaboss on Mawkrusha post, you would have to know that that's what "Biggest is Bestest" refers to. Moving forward, I'm going to try to have a more descriptive component after the hook of the title, and if I get the chance I might even go back and update the old titles. 

Other exciting upcoming changes will hopefully make the blog (and photos herein) look more distinct and recognizable. I've spent the last little while creating a logo of sorts that I will placing on my photos and blog. I've wanted to do this for a while in hopes that it may lend a touch of class to my amateur miniature photography. 

I'll share a few of my thoughts in creating this logo:

1) Visually striking and easily recognizable.  
I knew I wanted to use black and white so as not to clash with colours of any miniature that I'm displaying. I also knew that I wanted to have a background (the black circle) rather than just floating text so that it wouldn't get "lost" if I put it on different coloured backgrounds.

2) Legible.
Caesura is an uncommon enough word, so I at least wanted people to be able to read it, if not pronounce it (Say-zhur-ah) - that ruled out some of the crazier fonts I was originally looking at. I settled on a "Bilbo Baggins" style font that I felt fulfilled the next requirement...

3) Tone in-keeping with fantasy / sci-fi themes.
The miniatures I paint are an eclectic bunch from ceramite-clad future-warriors, to barbarians in loincloths, I wanted a font that you could find on the cover of a pulp paperback from either genre. The lines in the background could like-wise be interpreted as shooting stars / jet streams in a Sci-fi environment or sword slashes in a fantasy one, but what they really represent are...

4) Incorporate the caesura "symbol".
I only found this out while we were on our honeymoon; a caesura isn't only a literary device, it's also used in music for the same purpose (a pause) where it's represented by the symbol: 

The Art of Caesura

Mind-blowingly, if you flip these two lines vertically you'll recognize a symbol that we see on pretty much every media device in the world: the pause button - and this is where it came from! Anyway I wanted to work that symbol into my logo so that's what the lines in the background represent. 

So, after all that, here is the logo of The Art of Caesura!


Caesura



And that's about it! That's the most "Life" I've shared in the year and a half I've been blogging. Let me know what you think, any comments on the logo / other suggestions for the blog?

Back to our regularly scheduled content next Friday on The Art of Caesura!


Reading: All the Light We Cannot See - Anthony Doerr
Watching: Dunkirk - Christopher Nolan
Gaming: Thief (2014) - Edios Montreal


Next Week:

Barbarian's be breakin' bones...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Full Stop - Oathsworn: Into the Deepwood

The monstrous Deepwood has consumed the land.  No farms or fields remain. There is only corruption, rot and the endless shadow of the twisted trees. ~ Shadowborne Games Pot's Peace, Oathsworn. Welcome to The Art of Caesura! What's all this then, TWO posts in one day!? Well yes, you see timing is of the essence here. Today marks the 200th post of The Art of Caesura , so if you haven't had a chance to check out the celebratory post, please do so !  There is also a Kickstarter ongoing at the moment, that I am getting quite excited by, but it closes on Tuesday, so if I left it till next Friday to tell you about it...it would be too late! Hence, in a world first, two hits of The Art of Caesura in one day! Now onward, into the world of Oathsworn: Into the Deepwood ! Credit: Shadowborne Games Nota bene : I am not associated with Shadowborne Games, and am just writing this because it is something that I am genuinely excited about. None of the

"The Skinny" - Scale 75 Flesh Paint Set Review

The complexion of a light-skinned face  divides into three zones: The forehead has a light golden colour  because it's freer of muscles and surface capillaries. The ears, cheeks and nose all lie within the central zone of the face.  Those areas have more capillaries carrying oxygenated blood near the surface, causing the reddish colour... The zone from the nose to the chin (where there are relatively more veins carrying blue deoxygenated blood) tends toward a bluish, greenish or greyish colour. Some artists accentuated this subtle bluish or greenish hue to bring out the reddish lip colour. Color and Light (page 156) - James Gurney Welcome all to The Art of Caesura! So I finished all the models in Warhammer Quest Silver Tower!! Wooohooo!! Now for something a bit different!  This week I'm going to do something I've never done on the blog before: write a review!! I've been wanting to write my thoughts on  Scale 75 's Flesh Paint Set for ov

Warhammer 40k for Beginners - Writing an Army List

Hello again good friends of the Caesura! I am glad to report that I am feeling much better than last week, recovered from most of my COVID symptoms. Continuing from last week's post , I'm ready to tell you more about the lists that JP and I took for my first game of Warhammer 40k in over a decade and a half.  I have tried to write this post for those who know very little about playing Warhammer 40k (which was me when I started preparing for this game).  So, I knew that I wanted to keep things straightforward for my first game and that we were playing to 500 points. For those non-warhammerites, this is basically the smallest game you can play - less moving parts to keep track of.  Here is my list again, but this time I will discuss what it all means, and my thought process behind each choice: + Stratagems [-1CP] + Stratagem: Revered Repositories [-1CP] This just means that before the game I used one of my finite resources ("Command Points") to buy a very fancy weapon (