Skip to main content

"Behold! The Mummy Horde" - Conan Mummies II

There is no happiness for the soul in the external worlds
since these are perishable, true happiness lies in that which
is eternal, within us.

- Egyptian Book of the Dead


Greetings friends, welcome to this week's The Art of Caesura!

Thanks to everyone who said such nice things on the various social media about my post from last week. It's always a surprise to me which posts spark public interest, so I love to hear from you guys! 

More mummies; that's the theme of today! A couple weeks ago we looked at the first half of the mummies from the board game Conan. Those guys had their left arm up as if they were using an invisible walking stick. Today we're looking at the rest of them. I differentiated between them by noting that these guys are holding their sword more in front of their body and seemingly walking with more of a shuffling gait.

Monolith Conan

To come clean, I actually batch painted these guys at the same time as the other ones. So, while my painting technique is the same as my previous mummy post, today I'll focus on the details that I didn't talk about last time

Monolith Conan

Maybe I'll start at the bottom, and work my way up. I did the bases the same way I do most of my bases these days - in a "badlands" style. Tune in in a couple weeks for an in-depth look at how I make these simple but effective bases.

While I'll go into the details of the bases next week, I just want to explain my rationale for them this week. I know some might deride the fact that the bases don't contrast the models enough but I actually like that. I feel that, like Tweak the familiar, it makes them a study in textures. 

Monolith Conan

By keeping the colours tight and monochromatic you can better appreciate the roughness of the dirt, the dryness of the wrappings and the necrotic skin. Or maybe that's just me being optimistic. 

Monolith Conan

I even tried to keep the sword in the same colour-group as the rest of it. The blunted blade the lightness of the wrappings, but again a different texture; and the patina dulled handle similar to the yellow dry tufts of grass. 

Monolith Conan

Monolith Conan

The only little specks of contrast (and they're actually hard to make out in this picture) are the blue gems on the hilt of the sword and the mummy's chest. 

Monolith Conan

Above are the five new ones from this week...

Monolith Conan

And BEHOLD! The entire mummy horde!

Monolith Conan

Monolith Conan

Thank you for joining me on another Egyptologist's frolic on The Art of Caesura!


Watching: Top of the Lake


Next Week:

++Transmission Intercepted++

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Full Stop - Oathsworn: Into the Deepwood

The monstrous Deepwood has consumed the land.  No farms or fields remain. There is only corruption, rot and the endless shadow of the twisted trees. ~ Shadowborne Games Pot's Peace, Oathsworn. Welcome to The Art of Caesura! What's all this then, TWO posts in one day!? Well yes, you see timing is of the essence here. Today marks the 200th post of The Art of Caesura , so if you haven't had a chance to check out the celebratory post, please do so !  There is also a Kickstarter ongoing at the moment, that I am getting quite excited by, but it closes on Tuesday, so if I left it till next Friday to tell you about it...it would be too late! Hence, in a world first, two hits of The Art of Caesura in one day! Now onward, into the world of Oathsworn: Into the Deepwood ! Credit: Shadowborne Games Nota bene : I am not associated with Shadowborne Games, and am just writing this because it is something that I am genuinely excited about. None of the

"The Skinny" - Scale 75 Flesh Paint Set Review

The complexion of a light-skinned face  divides into three zones: The forehead has a light golden colour  because it's freer of muscles and surface capillaries. The ears, cheeks and nose all lie within the central zone of the face.  Those areas have more capillaries carrying oxygenated blood near the surface, causing the reddish colour... The zone from the nose to the chin (where there are relatively more veins carrying blue deoxygenated blood) tends toward a bluish, greenish or greyish colour. Some artists accentuated this subtle bluish or greenish hue to bring out the reddish lip colour. Color and Light (page 156) - James Gurney Welcome all to The Art of Caesura! So I finished all the models in Warhammer Quest Silver Tower!! Wooohooo!! Now for something a bit different!  This week I'm going to do something I've never done on the blog before: write a review!! I've been wanting to write my thoughts on  Scale 75 's Flesh Paint Set for ov

"From the City of Shadows" - Arkanaut Company (Painting - Part 1)

The City of Shadows has a dubious reputation  amongst the Overlords, often labelled pirates  or worse by other duardin of their rival sky-ports. Barak Mhornar - Games Workshop Welcome back to another Friday on The Art of Caesura! Let's pick it up from last week and dive right back in to the Arkanauts. Last time we saw them they were all grey and naked. No longer!! This is going to be part one of a two-parter on the painting of these guys before we look their bases and then at the finished Company in the following weeks. I was going to try to cram it all into one post, but wow there is a lot of detail on these guys, and we're in no hurry, so best to spread it out and give it all it's due.  Barak Zilfin Colour Scheme When the Kharadron Overlords first came out I was looking at all the colour schemes and thinking "man, Barak Zilfin all the way!  I mean look at all that copper!" But over the year, my tastes have...matured and I came to really