Skip to main content

"Hair and Blades" - Tenebrael Shard

A Tenebrael Shard is a killer of superlative skill.
Fast beyond belief, supernaturally agile and
ominously silent, the Shard closes upon his prey
as fast as thought and ends their lives with
callous efficiency.

~ Games Workshop

It's Friday! It's The Art of Caesura!

After last week's noble, bald, dark-skinned, grounded-postured Warpriest; this week we have...someone completely different! It's the Tenebrael Shard!


Warhammer Quest Silver Tower

Something I've really loved about the Silver Tower models is the immense diversity! We've had walking books and fish, a huge blue Minotaur, skaven, new spider-goblins and bird-beastmen. And that's just amongst the villains! As we've seen over the past few weeks, the heroes are fairly diverse too (although it would have been cool to see a new orc or Lizardman (Seraphon) among the core heroes (though you can add them on yourself with extra hero cards). Looking back, I can't think of a boxed game that introduced so many totally new characters to a Warhammer game!

Warhammer Quest Silver Tower

Let's talk about the Shard's skin first. I chose to paint him right after the Warpriest to really put the Scale 75 through their paces - going from darkest to lightest! I undercoated his skin (and the flayed-skin ribbons hanging from his belt) with "Basic Flesh". I mixed in increasingly more "Light Skin" and then "Pale Skin" before finishing his face, top of his shoulders, and feet with diluted pure "Pale Skin" which is a nice off-white. 

Warhammer Quest Silver Tower

I keep saying it, but I'm planning a review of the Scale 75 Flesh Paints once I've completed the Silver Tower models. I love how they blend and give real natural depth to muscles (like his serratus anterior (the "superman muscles" below his raised right arm (you can see them best in the top and second-to-last picture).

Warhammer Quest Silver Tower

For the ribbons of flayed skin then, from "Basic Flesh" I gave one heavy coat of Agrax Earthshade and then another of Nuln Oil. I wanted them to look creepy, preserved and unheimlich. I edge highlighted them with diluted "Basic Flesh" and painted the stitched Ushabti Bone. 

Warhammer Quest Silver Tower

To differentiate the black of his hair from the black pants, for the hair I highlighted with a neutral black (Abaddon black + White Scar). And the "outer layer" of the pants are highlighted with Incubi Darkness. I wasn't totally sure about the pants. I've seen some people paint the holes as cut-aways to skin, but I though that looked a bit "strippery" so instead I kind of made it two layers: an outer thicker layer (heavily highlighted with Incubi Darkness) and an inner layer that I left pure black and differentiated further by adding gloss varnish. PVC, I guess. 

Warhammer Quest Silver Tower

I considered painting the debossed area (in the middle) black as well, and you know, it might have been interesting to keep this guy monochromatic blacks and whites. I then considered purple, but settled on a dark black-red. It's so dark, and while prominent, covers such a small area that I don't think the addition of another colour detracts too much. Let me know what you think!

Warhammer Quest Silver Tower

You guys will laugh, but I only bought Leadbelcher a few weeks ago! Back in the day, I always used Boltgun Metal for my silvery metals. When the "new" paint line came out, I somehow thought that Runefang Steel was the equivalent (it's not, it's much brighter). So for the past couple years I have been using Runefang Steel, shading down with multiple coats of Nuln Oil and then adding Stormhost Silver if needed. 

Anyway, now I'm all Leadbelchered up, so you might notice a darkening of my metallics starting with this guy. I didn't want bright metals to detract from his blacks and wanted his skin to be the stand-out focus. 

Okay dudes and dudettes, that's it for another week on The Art of Caesura!


Reading: March White Dwarf
Gaming: Warhammer Quest (PC)


Next Week:

What's that I hear?...Lamentations?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Full Stop - Oathsworn: Into the Deepwood

The monstrous Deepwood has consumed the land.  No farms or fields remain. There is only corruption, rot and the endless shadow of the twisted trees. ~ Shadowborne Games Pot's Peace, Oathsworn. Welcome to The Art of Caesura! What's all this then, TWO posts in one day!? Well yes, you see timing is of the essence here. Today marks the 200th post of The Art of Caesura , so if you haven't had a chance to check out the celebratory post, please do so !  There is also a Kickstarter ongoing at the moment, that I am getting quite excited by, but it closes on Tuesday, so if I left it till next Friday to tell you about it...it would be too late! Hence, in a world first, two hits of The Art of Caesura in one day! Now onward, into the world of Oathsworn: Into the Deepwood ! Credit: Shadowborne Games Nota bene : I am not associated with Shadowborne Games, and am just writing this because it is something that I am genuinely excited about. None of the

"The Skinny" - Scale 75 Flesh Paint Set Review

The complexion of a light-skinned face  divides into three zones: The forehead has a light golden colour  because it's freer of muscles and surface capillaries. The ears, cheeks and nose all lie within the central zone of the face.  Those areas have more capillaries carrying oxygenated blood near the surface, causing the reddish colour... The zone from the nose to the chin (where there are relatively more veins carrying blue deoxygenated blood) tends toward a bluish, greenish or greyish colour. Some artists accentuated this subtle bluish or greenish hue to bring out the reddish lip colour. Color and Light (page 156) - James Gurney Welcome all to The Art of Caesura! So I finished all the models in Warhammer Quest Silver Tower!! Wooohooo!! Now for something a bit different!  This week I'm going to do something I've never done on the blog before: write a review!! I've been wanting to write my thoughts on  Scale 75 's Flesh Paint Set for ov

Citadel COLOUR Contrast Paints First Impressions / Review

Hello and welcome to a special edition of The Art of Caesura! I've just returned from Warhammer Fest 2019 (and what a brilliant time it was!) Without a doubt, the big reveal of the festival was the new Contrast Paints that Games Workshop are touting.  They have seriously been marketing the bejesus out of these things, whether it be the three hilarious teaser videos in recent months: Leading up to today's reveal trailer: Or the heavy branding throughout today's swag bag and arena: Including half of an entire floor devoted to display cases of miniatures painted entirely with the new Contrast Paints - and, more excitingly, demo pods where we could give them a spin ourselves! But, I'm getting ahead of myself. I attended a seminar on the science behind the new Contrast Paints and between that and what I saw (and experienced) today, I'd like to share as much of it with you as possible. At the moment information i