Skip to main content

"The Boss of the Game" - Gaunt Summoner

And
 wrought with weeping and laughter,
And
 fashioned with loathing and love,
With
 life before and after
And
 death beneath and above


Algernon Charles Swinburne - Atalanta in Calydon



Welcome all to another special week on The Art of Caesura!

This week marks my completion of painting all 51 of the miniatures in Warhammer Quest Silver Tower; and who better to finish out on than the boss of the game, The Gaunt Summoner of Tzeentch himself!


Warhammer Quest Silver Tower

A quick note before we begin, now having completed the painting of the entire box-set, my wife and I have picked up our adventures where we had left off - on the third-to-last trial: Chamon. So don't get to remaniscent about Silver Tower yet, I'll post some pics of our adventures in a couple of weeks' time.

Okay, I've got a lot to discuss when it comes to my painting of the Gaunt Summoner...


Warhammer Quest Silver Tower

Overall, I know that from the lore, being a demon of Tzeentch there should be loads of bright colours, but I also wanted to make him dark and foreboding, in keeping with his role as the Final Boss. I also wanted to emphasize his chitinous, insectoid elements, but we'll get to those later...


Warhammer Quest Silver Tower

Let's start with his cloak. After being quite happy with how the blending went on Mistweaver's robe last week, I tried it again, this time fading from Abaddon Black at his waist to The Fang at the base. I washed the whole lot with Drakenhof Nightshade to smooth out the transition before edge highlighting the more prominent folds.


Warhammer Quest Silver Tower

For the skin on his hands and face I started with Ushabti bone. On the hands and "horns" I just washed this with Seraphim Sepia and then re-highlighted up to white. On his face I tried just washing the Ushabti bone with pure Drakenhof Nightshade, but this didn't really give a great effect, so I went back and worked my way up to Sotek Green. All of the various eyes all over the model (On his head, shoulder skulls, chest, and tome) started as Gaussblaster and worked their way up to Scar White with a lick of gloss varnish.


Warhammer Quest Silver Tower

Warhammer Quest Silver Tower

Warhammer Quest Silver Tower

His creepy insectoid arms and armour-plating turned out even better than expected. I was going to just paint them black and gloss varnish them, but instead decided to try Soulstone Blue over Abaddon Black and really like how it gave the plates a shiny blue tinge.


Warhammer Quest Silver Tower

For his changestaff, I wetblended Screamer Pink to Altdorf Blue and then washed the whole thing with a few coats of Druchii Violet (getting heavier out towards the edges). The "eye" in the centre of the change staff was Stormhost Silver with Soulstone Blue over top.

Warhammer Quest Silver Tower

I spent a little while pondering his feathers. My experience with painting feathers comes mostly from painting some of my younger brother's Lizardmen (Seraphon) back in the day. Those, like the feathers on the studio version of this model were really vibrantly coloured affairs; which would clearly be out of place on this guy. I really wanted to paint these feathers as raven feathers to play into their common mythos as "The Trickster" character. My final source of inspiration was having painted the relatively dark feathers on The Gatekeeper bust for The World of Smog. 

So, I started with Runefang Steel (a nice mid-tone silver) and applied about 4 or 5 thinned coats of Drakenhof Nightshade and one of Nuln Oil. Then I went back in with Stormhost Silver to texture the edges and give them that iridescence, without being too distracting from the overall dark colour scheme.  

Warhammer Quest Silver Tower

And here is his, Ol' Gaunty with his little buddies! And that's it! All 51 miniatures for Warhammer Quest Silver Tower painted!!

As I said at the biginning, having everything painted has acted has a huge stimulus to get back into the game, so I'll post some more group shots of all the minis from this great game in a few weeks time!

Thanks for cruising by, I'll see you next week right here on The Art of Caesura!


Listening: Your Ghost - The Decemberists
Gaming: Vermintide 2
Watching: Altered Carbon
Reading: The Ethical Slut - Hardon and Easton


Next Week:

Showing some skin...

Comments

  1. Man, this is an awesome colour scheme for the gaunt summoner! I´ve been searching the web for ideas alternative to the usual bright scheme and this look just struck me immediately. I suppose you usually start from a black primer?

    Have to go through your blog, I really like your style of painting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey John, Thank you so much for your comment, I really do appreciate you getting in touch. I totally agree with you, the model looks great in the "box art" bright colours, but I think the dark colour scheme really plays on the "trickster" themes.

      I do tend to start from a black primer. I always use brush on (as opposed to spray on) primer (Imperial Primer from Games Workshop) I find I can use a thinner coat than with spray primer to preserve details. And because I can use it inside, it's less weather dependent, which is a real consideration living in Ireland!

      I'm glad you like it, and hope you find more you like on here.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Tell me all...

Popular posts from this blog

The Full Stop - Oathsworn: Into the Deepwood

The monstrous Deepwood has consumed the land.  No farms or fields remain. There is only corruption, rot and the endless shadow of the twisted trees. ~ Shadowborne Games Pot's Peace, Oathsworn. Welcome to The Art of Caesura! What's all this then, TWO posts in one day!? Well yes, you see timing is of the essence here. Today marks the 200th post of The Art of Caesura , so if you haven't had a chance to check out the celebratory post, please do so !  There is also a Kickstarter ongoing at the moment, that I am getting quite excited by, but it closes on Tuesday, so if I left it till next Friday to tell you about it...it would be too late! Hence, in a world first, two hits of The Art of Caesura in one day! Now onward, into the world of Oathsworn: Into the Deepwood ! Credit: Shadowborne Games Nota bene : I am not associated with Shadowborne Games, and am just writing this because it is something that I am genuinely excited about. None of the

"The Skinny" - Scale 75 Flesh Paint Set Review

The complexion of a light-skinned face  divides into three zones: The forehead has a light golden colour  because it's freer of muscles and surface capillaries. The ears, cheeks and nose all lie within the central zone of the face.  Those areas have more capillaries carrying oxygenated blood near the surface, causing the reddish colour... The zone from the nose to the chin (where there are relatively more veins carrying blue deoxygenated blood) tends toward a bluish, greenish or greyish colour. Some artists accentuated this subtle bluish or greenish hue to bring out the reddish lip colour. Color and Light (page 156) - James Gurney Welcome all to The Art of Caesura! So I finished all the models in Warhammer Quest Silver Tower!! Wooohooo!! Now for something a bit different!  This week I'm going to do something I've never done on the blog before: write a review!! I've been wanting to write my thoughts on  Scale 75 's Flesh Paint Set for ov

Citadel COLOUR Contrast Paints First Impressions / Review

Hello and welcome to a special edition of The Art of Caesura! I've just returned from Warhammer Fest 2019 (and what a brilliant time it was!) Without a doubt, the big reveal of the festival was the new Contrast Paints that Games Workshop are touting.  They have seriously been marketing the bejesus out of these things, whether it be the three hilarious teaser videos in recent months: Leading up to today's reveal trailer: Or the heavy branding throughout today's swag bag and arena: Including half of an entire floor devoted to display cases of miniatures painted entirely with the new Contrast Paints - and, more excitingly, demo pods where we could give them a spin ourselves! But, I'm getting ahead of myself. I attended a seminar on the science behind the new Contrast Paints and between that and what I saw (and experienced) today, I'd like to share as much of it with you as possible. At the moment information i