Skip to main content

"Back to Bases" - Orc Bloodbowl (Badlands) Bases

When the lambs is lost in the mountain, he said. They is cry.
Sometime come the mother. Sometime the wolf.

Blood Meridian, or the Evening Redness in the West - Cormac McCarthy



Happy Friday on The Art of Caesura!

Greetings sports fans, apologies for the interruption to our regularly scheduled content last week when the be-tentacled Hellmouth exploded onto the scene. But we've had a chance to clean up the mess from the pitch...and speaking of the pitch, lets take a closer look at it today!

Today is the next in a series of tutorials about miniature bases. I previously showed you how I made my Silver Tower bases and we'll soon be looking at other exciting basing methods. 

Today we're going to look at a basing style that is more down to earth, it's my go-to technique for my Orruks / Ironjawz and Conan miniatures, but I've demonstrated it here on my Bloodbowl Orcs.

This process is very easy and costs next to nothing but takes a bit of time (while waiting for stages to dry). I'll start with a quick list of the steps, and detail them (with photos) below:


As a note, specifically for the Bloodbowl bases, I started by drilling out the hole the ball goes into with a 3mm pin-vice drill-bit and super-glueing in a magnet. 

Summary:

  1. Water down PVA glue and paint the bases.
  2. Dip the base into sand.
  3. Allow glue to fully dry.
  4. Paint on patches of a paint with a crackle medium (e.g. Agrellan Earth), allow to dry.
  5. Repeat step 1 to seal in sand and crackle paint. 
  6. Allow glue to fully dry.
  7. Paint entire base with watered-down Steel Legion Drab.
  8. Wash with Agrax Earthshade.
  9. Drybrush with 50:50 mix of Steel Legion Drab and Ushabti Bone.
  10. Further drybrush with pure Ushabti Bone.
  11. Paint the base-rim black.
  12. Glue small clumps of static grass (yellow grass).


Detailed Procedure + Photo Guide:


1. Water down PVA (white) glue (about 1 fingertip drop of water per thumbnail sized blob of glue [to make about 5 bases]). Paint the glue on the base (try to avoid your model's feet!). 

2. Dip the base into sand (I just keep a ziplock bag of sand from the beach. If you are using beach sand ensure it's mostly quite fine with a few tiny pebbles for diversity).

Blood Bowl

3. Allow the glued sand to fully dry (couple hours).

Blood Bowl


4. Paint on patches of a paint with a crackle medium (I use GW's Agrellan Earth - advice on using this paint: don't water it down or dilute with medium, use very thick blobs in patches on the base (I usually make 1-2 small patches per standard base). Try to spread the edges of the blob out a bit (tapering it down into the sand). MOST IMPORTANTLY: in my experience, for best cracking effect you have to hold it up to a heat source for about 5 min after you've applied it to the base. I've tried using hot fans, but this didn't work for me. What works best for me is holding the model up to (but not touching) the incandescent lamp I use when I'm painting. 

Blood Bowl

Blood Bowl

Blood Bowl


5. Repeat step 1. (painting watered-down PVA glue over the sand and dried, cracked patches of Agrellan Earth) This will seal it all in place, so that bits of sand / crackle paint don't flake off.

Blood Bowl

6. Allow glue to fully dry (couple hours) - I leave it overnight at this stage 

7. Paint entire base with watered-down Steel Legion Drab.

Blood Bowl

8. Wash with Agrax Earthshade.

Blood Bowl

9. Drybrush with 50:50 mix of Steel Legion Drab and Ushabti Bone.

Blood Bowl


10. Further drybrush with pure Ushabti Bone (better to repeat it several times with minimal paint than to try to do it in one go).

Blood Bowl


11. Paint the base-rim black.

Blood Bowl

12. Glue small clumps of static grass (I think yellowed, dead / dry-looking grass looks best with this "badlands" aesthetic). Everyone recommends using PVA glue for this, but I always use superglue.

Blood Bowl

And thar she be! Bases to suit your every "badland" need. 

Blood BowlBlood Bowl

For a larger example of this process in action, check out the badlands base I made for my wyvern.

I hope that helps you base your Bloodbowl team / destruction army / whatever else needs to spend a bit of time out in the badlands. Let me know what you think - do you do anything differently?

See you next week on The Art of Caesura!


Watching: Into the Badlands (appropriately)
Reading: A Brief History of Time - Stephen Hawking
Listening: In Hell I'll Be in Good Company - The Dead South


Next Week:

Verdant pastures...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Full Stop - Oathsworn: Into the Deepwood

The monstrous Deepwood has consumed the land.  No farms or fields remain. There is only corruption, rot and the endless shadow of the twisted trees. ~ Shadowborne Games Pot's Peace, Oathsworn. Welcome to The Art of Caesura! What's all this then, TWO posts in one day!? Well yes, you see timing is of the essence here. Today marks the 200th post of The Art of Caesura , so if you haven't had a chance to check out the celebratory post, please do so !  There is also a Kickstarter ongoing at the moment, that I am getting quite excited by, but it closes on Tuesday, so if I left it till next Friday to tell you about it...it would be too late! Hence, in a world first, two hits of The Art of Caesura in one day! Now onward, into the world of Oathsworn: Into the Deepwood ! Credit: Shadowborne Games Nota bene : I am not associated with Shadowborne Games, and am just writing this because it is something that I am genuinely excited about. None of the

"The Skinny" - Scale 75 Flesh Paint Set Review

The complexion of a light-skinned face  divides into three zones: The forehead has a light golden colour  because it's freer of muscles and surface capillaries. The ears, cheeks and nose all lie within the central zone of the face.  Those areas have more capillaries carrying oxygenated blood near the surface, causing the reddish colour... The zone from the nose to the chin (where there are relatively more veins carrying blue deoxygenated blood) tends toward a bluish, greenish or greyish colour. Some artists accentuated this subtle bluish or greenish hue to bring out the reddish lip colour. Color and Light (page 156) - James Gurney Welcome all to The Art of Caesura! So I finished all the models in Warhammer Quest Silver Tower!! Wooohooo!! Now for something a bit different!  This week I'm going to do something I've never done on the blog before: write a review!! I've been wanting to write my thoughts on  Scale 75 's Flesh Paint Set for ov

Warhammer 40k for Beginners - Writing an Army List

Hello again good friends of the Caesura! I am glad to report that I am feeling much better than last week, recovered from most of my COVID symptoms. Continuing from last week's post , I'm ready to tell you more about the lists that JP and I took for my first game of Warhammer 40k in over a decade and a half.  I have tried to write this post for those who know very little about playing Warhammer 40k (which was me when I started preparing for this game).  So, I knew that I wanted to keep things straightforward for my first game and that we were playing to 500 points. For those non-warhammerites, this is basically the smallest game you can play - less moving parts to keep track of.  Here is my list again, but this time I will discuss what it all means, and my thought process behind each choice: + Stratagems [-1CP] + Stratagem: Revered Repositories [-1CP] This just means that before the game I used one of my finite resources ("Command Points") to buy a very fancy weapon (