Skip to main content

"Back to Bases" - Blood Bowl Human / Elf (Green Field) Bases

Not exactly forgiving when it comes to those Blood Bowl players
 smashed and ground against it,
 the astrogranite floor of the Reikland Reavers Oldbowl
 bears the scars – and bits of skin and teeth – 
you’d expect from a legendary stadium 
that has seen hundreds of matches played
 by thousands of bloodthirsty veterans.




Aaand we're back for some more Blood Bowl action on The Art of Caesura!

Last week we looked at how I make my Orc blood bowl bases (which can happily double for any kind of badlands base). Today it's the humies turn. Obviously this basing style can work well for anyone associated with grassy fields, many "good" armies, for example. As you can see I was basing these guys (and dark elf gals, and ogres and trolls) en masse, so this is a good quick and dirty method!

If you joined us last week, you'll see that much of the process is same so I'll reproduce it here to make it more convenient, but there are a few changes: I don't use any crackle paint and all of the colours are different to better represent a grassy field. Let's take a look (quick list first, photos and details follow). Apologies in advance that I wasn't as diligent at taking photos as I was last week, what with the shear number I was doing this week, I just cracked on. If anything is unclear, check out last week's post, or send me a message!

As with last week, I started by drilling out the holes in the bases using a 3mm drill bit on a pin-vice and super-glueing in a magnet. I did the same with the balls.

Blood BowlBlood Bowl

Blood BowlBlood Bowl

Blood Bowl

Summary:

  1. Water down PVA glue and paint onto base.
  2. Dip the base into sand.
  3. Allow the glue to fully dry.
  4. Repeat step 1 to seal sand in place. 
  5. Allow glue to fully dry.
  6. Paint entire base with watered-down Doombull Brown.
  7. Wash with Agrax Earthshade.
  8. Drybrush with 50:50 mix of Doombull Brown and Ushabti Bone.
  9. Further drybrush with pure Ushabti Bone.
  10. Paint base-rim black.
  11. Glue small clumps of green static grass.

Details and Photo Guide:

1. Water down PVA (white) glue (about 1 fingertip drop of water per thumbnail sized blob of glue [to make about 5 bases]) and paint the glue on the base (try to avoid your model's feet!)

2. Dip the base into sand (I just keep a ziplock bag of sand from the beach. If you are using beach sand ensure it's mostly quite fine with a few tiny pebbles for diversity).

3. Allow the glue to fully dry (couple hours).

4. Repeat step 1. (painting watered-down PVA glue over the sand) This will seal it all in place, so that bits of sand don't flake off.


Blood Bowl

5. Allow glue to fully dry (couple hours) - I usually leave it overnight at this stage.

6. Paint entire base with watered-down Doombull Brown.


Blood Bowl

Blood Bowl

Blood Bowl

7. Wash with Agrax Earthshade.


Blood Bowl

Blood Bowl

8. Drybrush with 50:50 mix of Doombull Brown and Ushabti Bone.


Blood Bowl

9. Further drybrush with pure Ushabti Bone (better to repeat it several times with minimal paint than to try to do it in one go).

10. Paint base-rim black.

11. Glue small clumps of green static grass. Everyone recommends using PVA glue for this, but I use superglue. 


Blood Bowl


And that's a wrap! 40 Blood Ball players (and refs) all based and ready to go!


Blood Bowl

Blood Bowl
I also use this basing technique on my Lord of the Rings models, like Gimli and Faramir. The only difference is that in Blood Bowl I use more grass, where as for other games I would use smaller, sparser clumps. 

I hope you found this quick tip useful and informative (Thanks Miniwargaming Kris ;) See you next week on The Art of Caesura!


Watching: The Haunting of Hill House
Reading: Troublesome Young Men: The Rebels Who Brought Churchill to Power and Helped Save England - Lynne Olson

Gigs: The Decemberists - I saw them in Dublin last Sunday, what a fantastic show!


Next Week:

The maker of the storm...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Full Stop - Oathsworn: Into the Deepwood

The monstrous Deepwood has consumed the land.  No farms or fields remain. There is only corruption, rot and the endless shadow of the twisted trees. ~ Shadowborne Games Pot's Peace, Oathsworn. Welcome to The Art of Caesura! What's all this then, TWO posts in one day!? Well yes, you see timing is of the essence here. Today marks the 200th post of The Art of Caesura , so if you haven't had a chance to check out the celebratory post, please do so !  There is also a Kickstarter ongoing at the moment, that I am getting quite excited by, but it closes on Tuesday, so if I left it till next Friday to tell you about it...it would be too late! Hence, in a world first, two hits of The Art of Caesura in one day! Now onward, into the world of Oathsworn: Into the Deepwood ! Credit: Shadowborne Games Nota bene : I am not associated with Shadowborne Games, and am just writing this because it is something that I am genuinely excited about. None of the

"The Skinny" - Scale 75 Flesh Paint Set Review

The complexion of a light-skinned face  divides into three zones: The forehead has a light golden colour  because it's freer of muscles and surface capillaries. The ears, cheeks and nose all lie within the central zone of the face.  Those areas have more capillaries carrying oxygenated blood near the surface, causing the reddish colour... The zone from the nose to the chin (where there are relatively more veins carrying blue deoxygenated blood) tends toward a bluish, greenish or greyish colour. Some artists accentuated this subtle bluish or greenish hue to bring out the reddish lip colour. Color and Light (page 156) - James Gurney Welcome all to The Art of Caesura! So I finished all the models in Warhammer Quest Silver Tower!! Wooohooo!! Now for something a bit different!  This week I'm going to do something I've never done on the blog before: write a review!! I've been wanting to write my thoughts on  Scale 75 's Flesh Paint Set for ov

Warhammer 40k for Beginners - Writing an Army List

Hello again good friends of the Caesura! I am glad to report that I am feeling much better than last week, recovered from most of my COVID symptoms. Continuing from last week's post , I'm ready to tell you more about the lists that JP and I took for my first game of Warhammer 40k in over a decade and a half.  I have tried to write this post for those who know very little about playing Warhammer 40k (which was me when I started preparing for this game).  So, I knew that I wanted to keep things straightforward for my first game and that we were playing to 500 points. For those non-warhammerites, this is basically the smallest game you can play - less moving parts to keep track of.  Here is my list again, but this time I will discuss what it all means, and my thought process behind each choice: + Stratagems [-1CP] + Stratagem: Revered Repositories [-1CP] This just means that before the game I used one of my finite resources ("Command Points") to buy a very fancy weapon (