Skip to main content

"To the Victor the Spoils" - Brokk Grungsson (Complete)

Brokk Grungsson strives on,
 hungry for ever-more success and recognition
 – his natural aeronautical abilities
 and aggressive nature mean these successes
 are rarely far from his grasp.



Good to have you again on The Art of Caesura!

I hope you're enjoying the winter festivities wherever you may be!

I built up today's model quite a bit in last week's post, but I really am proud of how this guy turned out. I'll keep my prattling to a minimum this week because I took about a million pictures (and if each one is worth a thousand words, then jeez, this is going to take a while!)

First some artsy shots...


Kharadron Overlords


Kharadron OverlordsKharadron Overlords

This was a fantastic model to paint! I knew I wanted to make him special, and I thought the base was a fun way for him to really stand out! I've never been a fan of flying bases - I think they break the immersion - so having him battling a sea-monster seemed like a good alternative. If you want to check out the construction of the base, voilà

Even though you're only seeing him now, I actually painted him before the Hellmouth and so I knew I wanted to paint the Hellmouth glistening organic tones to contrast (but not detract) from the metallics of Brokk. 

Kharadron OverlordsKharadron Overlords

I magnetized his head (and with his stout dwarf-neck this was really easy), because his head is so iconic (the top hat, the moustache-blasters) so that in the future, if they release rules for a generic balloon-boss, I could pop a different head on.

Kharadron Overlords

Kharadron OverlordsKharadron Overlords

As you can see, I used the same colour-scheme as my Arkanauts (they were the test run!), but like the Knight Incantor, I used a lot more of the copper tones to make him look more important. 

Kharadron Overlords

Kharadron Overlords

Kharadron Overlords


Kharadron Overlords

I think the base did a nice job of creating a sense of negative space; there's the big organic sea-monster, the big metal dwarf, and in between a spindly tentacle holding him up. From these angles (the pictures above and below) you really get a sense of him flying.

Kharadron Overlords

But the Hellmouth has had his own post, lets take a closer look at Brokk. 

Kharadron Overlords

As you could see from last week's post, I painted him in sub-assemblies. I left his dirigible off and also the roll-bars that go across his chest. I had also magnetized his head so it was easier to paint around his neck padding. 

Kharadron Overlords

There are SO many great details here: all the tiny rivets, hatches, aether-tubing, he has a good luck charm (rune) on his right hip (that I washed with Druchii Violet to make it look mystical) and a compass on his left hip, there are two dials on the protective bar across his chest, and even little joy sticks in each hand with triggers (that I painted red) to control his weapons. 

Kharadron Overlords

But I think my favourite element to paint was the dirigible!

Kharadron Overlords

Kharadron Overlords

When I was painting this, there actually weren't a ton of Brokk's painted in the Barak Mhornar colour scheme, so I didn't have much to use as reference. It was hard to decide what colours to paint the many layers of his dirigible. The answer came to me when I was looking again at the Arkanauts for inspiration. The "deepest" layer for them is their environmental suits (cream coloured), next layer out is their deep blue armour, and finally the coppery details. So I followed the same order here, with the deepest layer being cream. 

Kharadron Overlords

Kharadron Overlords

While it has many details (the gauges and aether-bobbles that you can see above) there are also large swathes of flat surface. I felt a bit of weathering would go a long way to break up some of the larger areas. 

Kharadron Overlords

Kharadron Overlords

I tried to make even the weathering tell a bit of a story. Take the big linear ding on the cream area, I tried to make it look like the projectile had hit the cream coloured metal and grazed it down to the bare metal. It then carried on to ding the blue metal behind it, but against the thicker blue metal had only scuffed the paint (the lighter scrapes in the blue metal that continue the trajectory). 

For the exhaust pipe (in the pic above) I just used some Typhus Corrosion on the out-take. 

Kharadron Overlords

Kharadron Overlords

Below is a better look at his iconic top hat (complete with chimney!) and the little gauges on his handlebars. 

Kharadron Overlords

Kharadron Overlords

I noticed that most people have painted his aethermatic saw bare metal. I chose to paint the housing the same as the armour to maybe imply that it's like one of those colourful ceramic blades that are impossible not to cut yourself with!

Kharadron Overlords

I always find it more difficult to photograph models with lots of metallics (and those with lots of gloss...and large models). It's hard not to get a lot of reflection that kind of kills the highlighting. I tried a few pictures with my wife's phone, and used diffusers (white paper bags!) on my lights. 

Kharadron Overlords

Kharadron Overlords

Kharadron Overlords

Kharadron Overlords

Kharadron Overlords

Kharadron Overlords

Kharadron Overlords

Wow, what a trek! But we made it! I hope you enjoyed him. He's one of the single models that I have lavished the most attention on and I'm pretty happy with how he turned out. Let me know what you think!

See you next week on The Art of Caesurea!


Watching: Peaky Blinders


Next Week:

Festive merriment!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Full Stop - Oathsworn: Into the Deepwood

The monstrous Deepwood has consumed the land.  No farms or fields remain. There is only corruption, rot and the endless shadow of the twisted trees. ~ Shadowborne Games Pot's Peace, Oathsworn. Welcome to The Art of Caesura! What's all this then, TWO posts in one day!? Well yes, you see timing is of the essence here. Today marks the 200th post of The Art of Caesura , so if you haven't had a chance to check out the celebratory post, please do so !  There is also a Kickstarter ongoing at the moment, that I am getting quite excited by, but it closes on Tuesday, so if I left it till next Friday to tell you about it...it would be too late! Hence, in a world first, two hits of The Art of Caesura in one day! Now onward, into the world of Oathsworn: Into the Deepwood ! Credit: Shadowborne Games Nota bene : I am not associated with Shadowborne Games, and am just writing this because it is something that I am genuinely excited about. None of the

"The Skinny" - Scale 75 Flesh Paint Set Review

The complexion of a light-skinned face  divides into three zones: The forehead has a light golden colour  because it's freer of muscles and surface capillaries. The ears, cheeks and nose all lie within the central zone of the face.  Those areas have more capillaries carrying oxygenated blood near the surface, causing the reddish colour... The zone from the nose to the chin (where there are relatively more veins carrying blue deoxygenated blood) tends toward a bluish, greenish or greyish colour. Some artists accentuated this subtle bluish or greenish hue to bring out the reddish lip colour. Color and Light (page 156) - James Gurney Welcome all to The Art of Caesura! So I finished all the models in Warhammer Quest Silver Tower!! Wooohooo!! Now for something a bit different!  This week I'm going to do something I've never done on the blog before: write a review!! I've been wanting to write my thoughts on  Scale 75 's Flesh Paint Set for ov

Warhammer 40k for Beginners - Writing an Army List

Hello again good friends of the Caesura! I am glad to report that I am feeling much better than last week, recovered from most of my COVID symptoms. Continuing from last week's post , I'm ready to tell you more about the lists that JP and I took for my first game of Warhammer 40k in over a decade and a half.  I have tried to write this post for those who know very little about playing Warhammer 40k (which was me when I started preparing for this game).  So, I knew that I wanted to keep things straightforward for my first game and that we were playing to 500 points. For those non-warhammerites, this is basically the smallest game you can play - less moving parts to keep track of.  Here is my list again, but this time I will discuss what it all means, and my thought process behind each choice: + Stratagems [-1CP] + Stratagem: Revered Repositories [-1CP] This just means that before the game I used one of my finite resources ("Command Points") to buy a very fancy weapon (