Skip to main content

"Insights of Doom" - Impending Doom and Information Gathered Tokens



Hail Glorious Readers! Welcome back to The Art of Caesura!

What an exciting past two weeks it has been, with my deep dive into Citadel's new Contrast Paints, and then taking a look at the rest of my time at Warhammer Fest 2019! This week we're heading back to where we left off with Hellboy: The Board Game.

What is typically the un-sexiest part of a miniature board game? The tokens! However I always like to paint the tokens first because they are the components that you use most for every single game. Even though Big Red might be sitting one out to make room for other agents, someone will still be investigating and doom will still be impending!


Hellboy: The Board Game

Hellboy: The Board Game

Speaking of impending doom, in Hellboy: The Board Game (H:TBG) the end of every turn is marked by "The Doom Phase" which, among other mischief, often involves moving the Impending Doom Marker along its track towards an (often gruesome) end for the heroes. If the Doom Marker gets to the end of the line before the Agents have completed their mission, they are ambushed by the boss, and have to go into the big boss battle at a disadvantage.


Hellboy: The Board Game

As you can see, the Impending Doom Marker itself is Hellboy's fist surrounded by tentacles!

Hellboy: The Board Game

To paint this component, I started the fist with a 50:50 mix of Mephiston Red + Doombull Brown gave a recess shade with Nuln Oil, drybrushed with increasing amounts of Mephiston Red and then pure Evil Sunz Scarlett. This meant I could be quite messy with the drybrush, because I would be going back to paint the tentacle. 

Hellboy: The Board Game

The tentacle was painted with Stegadon Scale Green with more and more Sotek green mixed in, then Lothern Blue added to the mix and finished with Gauss Blaster Green on the suckers. Once I had coated the tentacle in a couple heavy coats of gloss varnish, I was happy with the contrasting textures between the fist and the tentacle. 

While the heroes of the BPRD (Bureau for Paranormal Research and Defence) are exploring their surrounds, they might investigate clues, gaining insights that will help them fight the big baddie they'll be facing at the end of the mission. 

I decided to paint these Insight Markers in a similar manner to how I had painted the coins from The World of Smog - just to give them a bit more gravitas. 


Hellboy: The Board Game

The BPRD symbols gave a great reservoir for Agrax Earthshade over Screaming Bell. I worked on one side at a time to avoid unfortunate pooling mishaps. Once both sides were dry, I gave them a quick drybrush of Hashut Copper. Boom. Done!

Hellboy: The Board Game

The last piece to the token puzzle was the Information Gathered Marker. This is the Impending Doom's happy counterpart, showing how much the agents have learned before getting plunged into a boss battle. It is represented by an ancient tomb...


Hellboy: The Board Game

Hellboy: The Board Game

I illuminated the first letter as an "R" (for the first letter of my name), but reflected afterwards that perhaps it should have been an "H" for "Hellboy". I was chuffed when James Hewitt (the games designer for Hellboy: The Board Game (and Silver Tower, and Adeptus Titanicus, etc...) commented that perhaps it stood for "Rules for Hellboy: The Board Game". I think that's awesome!

Hellboy: The Board Game

Hellboy: The Board Game

And there we have them, most of the tokens for Hellboy: The Board Game complete!

I'll see you next week on The Art of Caesura!


Watching: Startrek Discovery
Listening: Requiem for a Dream Soundtrack
Gaming: Blood Bowl 2


Next Week:

I'll give you a clue...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Full Stop - Oathsworn: Into the Deepwood

The monstrous Deepwood has consumed the land.  No farms or fields remain. There is only corruption, rot and the endless shadow of the twisted trees. ~ Shadowborne Games Pot's Peace, Oathsworn. Welcome to The Art of Caesura! What's all this then, TWO posts in one day!? Well yes, you see timing is of the essence here. Today marks the 200th post of The Art of Caesura , so if you haven't had a chance to check out the celebratory post, please do so !  There is also a Kickstarter ongoing at the moment, that I am getting quite excited by, but it closes on Tuesday, so if I left it till next Friday to tell you about it...it would be too late! Hence, in a world first, two hits of The Art of Caesura in one day! Now onward, into the world of Oathsworn: Into the Deepwood ! Credit: Shadowborne Games Nota bene : I am not associated with Shadowborne Games, and am just writing this because it is something that I am genuinely excited about. None of the

"The Skinny" - Scale 75 Flesh Paint Set Review

The complexion of a light-skinned face  divides into three zones: The forehead has a light golden colour  because it's freer of muscles and surface capillaries. The ears, cheeks and nose all lie within the central zone of the face.  Those areas have more capillaries carrying oxygenated blood near the surface, causing the reddish colour... The zone from the nose to the chin (where there are relatively more veins carrying blue deoxygenated blood) tends toward a bluish, greenish or greyish colour. Some artists accentuated this subtle bluish or greenish hue to bring out the reddish lip colour. Color and Light (page 156) - James Gurney Welcome all to The Art of Caesura! So I finished all the models in Warhammer Quest Silver Tower!! Wooohooo!! Now for something a bit different!  This week I'm going to do something I've never done on the blog before: write a review!! I've been wanting to write my thoughts on  Scale 75 's Flesh Paint Set for ov

Warhammer 40k for Beginners - Writing an Army List

Hello again good friends of the Caesura! I am glad to report that I am feeling much better than last week, recovered from most of my COVID symptoms. Continuing from last week's post , I'm ready to tell you more about the lists that JP and I took for my first game of Warhammer 40k in over a decade and a half.  I have tried to write this post for those who know very little about playing Warhammer 40k (which was me when I started preparing for this game).  So, I knew that I wanted to keep things straightforward for my first game and that we were playing to 500 points. For those non-warhammerites, this is basically the smallest game you can play - less moving parts to keep track of.  Here is my list again, but this time I will discuss what it all means, and my thought process behind each choice: + Stratagems [-1CP] + Stratagem: Revered Repositories [-1CP] This just means that before the game I used one of my finite resources ("Command Points") to buy a very fancy weapon (