Skip to main content

"The Unkindness" - Escher Gang I

We hold our heads up to the sky
And know that we will never die
As long as we stand side by side
As long as we can see the ravens fly!

Ravens fly! Ravens fly!

Raven's Flight - Amon Amarth


Hi guys and gals! It is time, once again, for The Art of Caesura!

This week marks the beginning of a project that I've been working away on in the background for the past few weeks, my first Necromunda gang: The Unkindness!


Necromunda

I feel like I have so much to say and show you, so I'm going to split it over a few weeks to try to get it all out. Today we'll start with the first three gangers I've painted.
Necromunda

NecromundaNecromunda

NecromundaNecromunda

I have this strange affinity to Necromunda. I've still never played it and these are the first models I've painted for it (aside from the terrain, here and here), but I love the lore and the aesthetic and the idea of the rules. I like skirmish, campaign-style games where your dudes grow and change and die; the stakes are higher and you feel more connected to each character. 


NecromundaNecromunda

Necromunda

Before starting House Escher, I would have said my favourite houses in Necromunda are Delaque and Goliath...but that was before having started Escher...

Necromunda
Meet Poe

Necromunda

Necromunda

Necromunda

Necromunda
With her bitchin' head tattoo! I was trying to make it look like a bar code, but it ended up looking like weird text - hey, works for me! (I drew the initial pattern with Nuln Oil and darkened areas with Abaddon Black greatly thinned with Lahmian Medium. 

Whilst painting these amazonian wonder women, I've been coming up with a story for them. The models have a lot of feathers on them which most people paint as being from exotic birds to represent how House Escher gangers value the finer things like rare animal pelts and feathers. Inspired by the feathers, I'm taking a different slant. I'm designing my gang around the raven. The raven (Corvus corax) has always been one of my favourite birds. I love how they are extremely intelligent, and stand as the trickster figure in many cultures, including that of many First Nations groups on the West Coast of Canada (where I'm from). 


Necromunda
This is Kwothe

So, starting from the raven feather, I had a few other thoughts before starting this gang. I wanted to have elements of the kind of cyberpunky aesthetic with members wearing different brightly coloured (though still grimy and weathered) armour. I also wanted to make many members of the gang represent different races of people (today I've started with some of the Caucasian members). With all these disparate elements, I was worried that there would be nothing really to tie to gang together, so I went back to the idea of the raven.


Necromunda

I decided to unify elements of them: their lower bodies, vests (aside from chest plates) and hair were all painted identically, and I really think that worked to bring them together as a single fighting force. 

Necromunda

For their lower bodies, I painted their leggings Ushabti bone and their loincloths Steel Legion Drab - both washed with Agrax Earthshade. Their thigh-high boots were painted to mimic studded black leather. I chose these colours to balance out the brighter colours on the rest of model and also to represent the lower body of a nesting raven, with the black boots being the raven's black legs and feet, the brown tabbard representing the brown nest and the pale leggings harkening back to the common raven egg. 


Necromunda
And finally (for today), Korv

Due to the level of detail on these models, I've been tackling them in groups of three - completing all areas of a colour across all three models before moving on to the next colour. As a general rule, all silver areas are Leadbelcher > Nuln Oil > Runefang Steel; all copper areas are Screaming Bell > Agrax Earthshade > Hashut Copper. 


Necromunda

Not wanting to overload this post, I'll talk about how I did their skin tones and hair in a later post. Likewise with the details, such as the feathers and venom injector-thingy.


Necromunda

I've been coming up with a bunch of names to use for the members of The Unkindness as you can see above, see if you can suss out my inspiration...


Necromunda

So, welcome to The Unkindness; I don't think I'd like to meet them down a dark Necromundan alleyway! I'm looking forward to showing you the other elements of this gang in the coming weeks - if I can keep up with my painting!


Watching: Blown Away


Next Week:

Tracking the raven's flight...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Full Stop - Oathsworn: Into the Deepwood

The monstrous Deepwood has consumed the land.  No farms or fields remain. There is only corruption, rot and the endless shadow of the twisted trees. ~ Shadowborne Games Pot's Peace, Oathsworn. Welcome to The Art of Caesura! What's all this then, TWO posts in one day!? Well yes, you see timing is of the essence here. Today marks the 200th post of The Art of Caesura , so if you haven't had a chance to check out the celebratory post, please do so !  There is also a Kickstarter ongoing at the moment, that I am getting quite excited by, but it closes on Tuesday, so if I left it till next Friday to tell you about it...it would be too late! Hence, in a world first, two hits of The Art of Caesura in one day! Now onward, into the world of Oathsworn: Into the Deepwood ! Credit: Shadowborne Games Nota bene : I am not associated with Shadowborne Games, and am just writing this because it is something that I am genuinely excited about. None of the

"The Skinny" - Scale 75 Flesh Paint Set Review

The complexion of a light-skinned face  divides into three zones: The forehead has a light golden colour  because it's freer of muscles and surface capillaries. The ears, cheeks and nose all lie within the central zone of the face.  Those areas have more capillaries carrying oxygenated blood near the surface, causing the reddish colour... The zone from the nose to the chin (where there are relatively more veins carrying blue deoxygenated blood) tends toward a bluish, greenish or greyish colour. Some artists accentuated this subtle bluish or greenish hue to bring out the reddish lip colour. Color and Light (page 156) - James Gurney Welcome all to The Art of Caesura! So I finished all the models in Warhammer Quest Silver Tower!! Wooohooo!! Now for something a bit different!  This week I'm going to do something I've never done on the blog before: write a review!! I've been wanting to write my thoughts on  Scale 75 's Flesh Paint Set for ov

Warhammer 40k for Beginners - Writing an Army List

Hello again good friends of the Caesura! I am glad to report that I am feeling much better than last week, recovered from most of my COVID symptoms. Continuing from last week's post , I'm ready to tell you more about the lists that JP and I took for my first game of Warhammer 40k in over a decade and a half.  I have tried to write this post for those who know very little about playing Warhammer 40k (which was me when I started preparing for this game).  So, I knew that I wanted to keep things straightforward for my first game and that we were playing to 500 points. For those non-warhammerites, this is basically the smallest game you can play - less moving parts to keep track of.  Here is my list again, but this time I will discuss what it all means, and my thought process behind each choice: + Stratagems [-1CP] + Stratagem: Revered Repositories [-1CP] This just means that before the game I used one of my finite resources ("Command Points") to buy a very fancy weapon (