Skip to main content

"From the Halcyon Dawn" - Yar Umbra II

Darkness is also an environment Yar knows well, 
and with his custom maw-pattern long las, 
even a flicker of movement is enough
for the void-born sniper to bring down his prey.

~ Lexicanum


Hello, and welcome back to The Art of Caesura!

If you didn't get a chance to check out last week's post I would urge you to do so; in it I discussed the choice of head-swap for this awesome void-born sniper.


Necromunda


Necromunda

Today, I'd like to talk about the painting process. 

I started by planning out the colours. As I mentioned last week, although I was using a Delaque head-swap, I really didn't want him to look just like a Delaque ganger. I tried to distance him from Delaque, by inverting his skin tone - giving him dark skin (to pull away from Delaque's eerily pale skin). I painted his mask white to contrast the skin and draw the eye to his face. Black and red are a combo I love (as seen in my guitar, Vlad) and so, wanting to move away from the browns of the box-art, I decided to incorporate black and red. 

Necromunda

With the black and red palette decided, I thought about where I would place the colours. I made the tunic and leg-wrappings red (1:1 mix Mephiston Red : Doombull Brown -> Agrax Earthshade -> highlighted with the original mix with Ushabti Bone added) and separated the two patches of red with the black pants. I usually go for cold blacks (highlighted with Incubi Darkness), but wanted to keep this model in the brown tones of the dusty grimy Underhive. So, the black was Abaddon Black -> Nuln Oil -> highlighted with Abaddon Black + Steel Legion Drab.

Necromunda

His satchel and one strap across his chest used a base of Doombull Brown while the other was Steel Legion Drab. 

Necromunda

The cream clothing under his red tunic and gathering at his neck was painted with Ushabti Bone -> Agrax Earthshade -> Ushabti with more and more white added. 

Necromunda

To give a little contrasting spot colour, I painted his gun and hip flask green - this also helps draw one's eye across the model from the back. On the box art his gun in red, but I though it more likely that he managed to "acquire" his long las from the military, so I painted it in olive drab. 

Necromunda

Just for fun - and to reference my first 40k army, I painted his shoulder pad in the Black Templars style. All the metal was especially fun to paint. The steel is meant to look dark and oiled. Leadbelcher -> Nuln Oil -> up to Stormhost Silver and the copper (like his backpack, which totally brought me back to my Kharadron Overlords) was Screaming Bell -> Agrax -> Hashut Copper with more and more Stormhost Silver added. I even added some Nihilek Oxide coming from the vents of his backpack. 

Necromunda

Inspired by the fun atmospheric photos that I took of The Unkindness last week, enjoy the shots of Yar Umbra below!

Necromunda

Necromunda

Necromunda
Knock, Knock!

Necromunda

What a fun miniature with the right amount of cloth rags and hard metal edges. I'm really happy with my head-swap. What do you think?

See you next week on The Art of Caesura!


Reading: The Tattooist of Auschwitz - Heather Morris
Listening: Rusalka, Rusalka - The Decemberists


Next Week:

Welcome Autumn...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Full Stop - Oathsworn: Into the Deepwood

The monstrous Deepwood has consumed the land.  No farms or fields remain. There is only corruption, rot and the endless shadow of the twisted trees. ~ Shadowborne Games Pot's Peace, Oathsworn. Welcome to The Art of Caesura! What's all this then, TWO posts in one day!? Well yes, you see timing is of the essence here. Today marks the 200th post of The Art of Caesura , so if you haven't had a chance to check out the celebratory post, please do so !  There is also a Kickstarter ongoing at the moment, that I am getting quite excited by, but it closes on Tuesday, so if I left it till next Friday to tell you about it...it would be too late! Hence, in a world first, two hits of The Art of Caesura in one day! Now onward, into the world of Oathsworn: Into the Deepwood ! Credit: Shadowborne Games Nota bene : I am not associated with Shadowborne Games, and am just writing this because it is something that I am genuinely excited about. None of the

"The Skinny" - Scale 75 Flesh Paint Set Review

The complexion of a light-skinned face  divides into three zones: The forehead has a light golden colour  because it's freer of muscles and surface capillaries. The ears, cheeks and nose all lie within the central zone of the face.  Those areas have more capillaries carrying oxygenated blood near the surface, causing the reddish colour... The zone from the nose to the chin (where there are relatively more veins carrying blue deoxygenated blood) tends toward a bluish, greenish or greyish colour. Some artists accentuated this subtle bluish or greenish hue to bring out the reddish lip colour. Color and Light (page 156) - James Gurney Welcome all to The Art of Caesura! So I finished all the models in Warhammer Quest Silver Tower!! Wooohooo!! Now for something a bit different!  This week I'm going to do something I've never done on the blog before: write a review!! I've been wanting to write my thoughts on  Scale 75 's Flesh Paint Set for ov

"From the City of Shadows" - Arkanaut Company (Painting - Part 1)

The City of Shadows has a dubious reputation  amongst the Overlords, often labelled pirates  or worse by other duardin of their rival sky-ports. Barak Mhornar - Games Workshop Welcome back to another Friday on The Art of Caesura! Let's pick it up from last week and dive right back in to the Arkanauts. Last time we saw them they were all grey and naked. No longer!! This is going to be part one of a two-parter on the painting of these guys before we look their bases and then at the finished Company in the following weeks. I was going to try to cram it all into one post, but wow there is a lot of detail on these guys, and we're in no hurry, so best to spread it out and give it all it's due.  Barak Zilfin Colour Scheme When the Kharadron Overlords first came out I was looking at all the colour schemes and thinking "man, Barak Zilfin all the way!  I mean look at all that copper!" But over the year, my tastes have...matured and I came to really