Skip to main content

"Cherubael" - The Captive Unleashed

Cherubael was once a Demon Prince,
worshipped as a god on the 
feral world of Clanar II

Lexicanum


Well hello there and welcome to another week of The Art of Caesura!

It has been a marvelous stint of Necromunda over the past couple of months! As I've said before, this is the longest I have stuck in any one setting for quite a while. But the Mortal Realms beckon...so today we're going to go out with a bang with a Necromunda model that isn't even a Necromunda model!


Rogue Psyker

This miniature is called The Captive Unleashed by Artel W. Miniatures and it is awesome!! I have recently ordered a few miniatures from Artel W. and they all look great. If you haven't checked these guys out before, you should. Anyway, to my mind, this mini is clearly inspired by the old Cherubael model for Inquisitor (I guess it's the hovering, possessed guy wrapped in scrolls and chains-look that does it!). But if I actually played Necromunda, I would probably use him as a Rogue Psyker.


Rogue PsykerRogue Psyker

When you're used to miniatures from a certain manufacturer (GW) it takes a moment to get accustomed to those from another company. I always find this when I go from Games Worshop to Wyrd's Malifaux models. Now, this model wasn't nearly as fiddly as some of the Wyrd models I've build, but with chains and scrolls flying every which way, I knew that it would be much easier to paint this guy in subassemblies. Then I ignored my better judgement and fully assembled him. 


Rogue PsykerRogue Psyker

I also believe that there is something to be said at times for painting a completely assembled model even if it is a bit tricky to get the brush into all the nooks and crannies. Seeing the model in its entirety makes colour placement and tone much easier. 


Rogue Psyker

Likely from Cherubael's subliminal possession, I had a strong idea from the start of what I wanted to do with this guy. I wanted the skin to be so pale that it was almost glowing. Unnaturally pale. To contrast that, I knew the chains and rags would be very dark. Off to a good start.

Rogue Psyker

I painted the skin with an undercoat of Cadian Fleshtone first to cover the black. Then I went right in with several coats of undiluted Pale Flesh (Scale 75), which is already a nice thin consistency for layering. Once I had a smooth base of Pale Flesh built up, I gave an all-over wash of 4:1 Lahmian Medium : Drakenhoff Nightshade to get that eerie, unheimlich look I was going for. 

Rogue Psyker

Rogue Psyker

Rogue Psyker

For his face, after the diluted Drakenhoff, I gave another diluted Nuln Oil wash but only in the eye sockets and mouth, this would give me a darker base from which to make his eyes and teeth "pop".

Rogue Psyker

As the skin was about 75% of the model, we're now on the home stretch! The chains were simply Leadbelcher -> Nuln Oil -> Runefang (sparingly, to keep them dark). I kept his rags a neutral/warm grey (Abaddon Black highlighted by mixing in Ushabti Bone and a touch of White Scar) to contrast the cool skin. Then on to the scrollwork. 

Rogue Psyker

Rogue Psyker

When I first showed my wife the assembled model, before I had slapped any paint down, she said "Oooh, wouldn't it be cool if the writing on the scrolls was glowing!?" "Yes" I replied, thinking, 'but it would be so much easier to just do an ol' Ushabti -> Agrax Earthshade -> Ushabti job on it'. But when it came to painting them, this conversation came back to me, and I decided to give it a go!

Rogue Psyker

I didn't want to do OSL exactly (because this is a technique that I want to improve, but didn't fancy using this (my first Artel W. mini) as a test case. So instead I kind of did an in-between job. I did my Ushabti -> Agrax Earthshade -> Ushabti to get the parchment the right tone and then went back in and painted Nazdreg Yellow (contrast) into the crevaces of the writing, purposfully letting it bleed over onto the parchment a little. Not really knowing what I was doing, I painted dots of Yriel Yellow and then more mixed with White Scar on one side or the other of the writing to make it look like it is glowing from within. I painted the pentagram on his chest the same way.

Rogue Psyker

Rogue Psyker

This was a real challenge because I wanted the writing to look light and firey, while keeping the scrolls rather dark to contrast his pale skin. It looks a little messy up close, but from a bit of a distance I think the effect reads the way I was hoping. 

Rogue Psyker

And that's it! I hope you've been enjoying all this Necromunda content over the past weeks - I have really loved immersing myself in it. I'd say it won't be too long before we venture back to the dark confines of The Underhive. 


Watching: Killing Eve - Season 2
Reading: Machines Like Me - Ian McEwan


Next Week:

Skulls and blood...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Full Stop - Oathsworn: Into the Deepwood

The monstrous Deepwood has consumed the land.  No farms or fields remain. There is only corruption, rot and the endless shadow of the twisted trees. ~ Shadowborne Games Pot's Peace, Oathsworn. Welcome to The Art of Caesura! What's all this then, TWO posts in one day!? Well yes, you see timing is of the essence here. Today marks the 200th post of The Art of Caesura , so if you haven't had a chance to check out the celebratory post, please do so !  There is also a Kickstarter ongoing at the moment, that I am getting quite excited by, but it closes on Tuesday, so if I left it till next Friday to tell you about it...it would be too late! Hence, in a world first, two hits of The Art of Caesura in one day! Now onward, into the world of Oathsworn: Into the Deepwood ! Credit: Shadowborne Games Nota bene : I am not associated with Shadowborne Games, and am just writing this because it is something that I am genuinely excited about. None of the

"The Skinny" - Scale 75 Flesh Paint Set Review

The complexion of a light-skinned face  divides into three zones: The forehead has a light golden colour  because it's freer of muscles and surface capillaries. The ears, cheeks and nose all lie within the central zone of the face.  Those areas have more capillaries carrying oxygenated blood near the surface, causing the reddish colour... The zone from the nose to the chin (where there are relatively more veins carrying blue deoxygenated blood) tends toward a bluish, greenish or greyish colour. Some artists accentuated this subtle bluish or greenish hue to bring out the reddish lip colour. Color and Light (page 156) - James Gurney Welcome all to The Art of Caesura! So I finished all the models in Warhammer Quest Silver Tower!! Wooohooo!! Now for something a bit different!  This week I'm going to do something I've never done on the blog before: write a review!! I've been wanting to write my thoughts on  Scale 75 's Flesh Paint Set for ov

"From the City of Shadows" - Arkanaut Company (Painting - Part 1)

The City of Shadows has a dubious reputation  amongst the Overlords, often labelled pirates  or worse by other duardin of their rival sky-ports. Barak Mhornar - Games Workshop Welcome back to another Friday on The Art of Caesura! Let's pick it up from last week and dive right back in to the Arkanauts. Last time we saw them they were all grey and naked. No longer!! This is going to be part one of a two-parter on the painting of these guys before we look their bases and then at the finished Company in the following weeks. I was going to try to cram it all into one post, but wow there is a lot of detail on these guys, and we're in no hurry, so best to spread it out and give it all it's due.  Barak Zilfin Colour Scheme When the Kharadron Overlords first came out I was looking at all the colour schemes and thinking "man, Barak Zilfin all the way!  I mean look at all that copper!" But over the year, my tastes have...matured and I came to really