Skip to main content

"Blood is Thicker Than Ash" - Mad Dog Mono

Mono's fate was changed, however,
when a scavvy trader sold him a strange,
one-eyed hood. It turned out to be an
ancient strato-pilot helmet, and as Mono discovered,
its oculus augur game him a unique view of the world,
and amazing reactions as a result.

~ Forge World

Welcome back Hivers to another Necromunda post on The Art of Caesura!

I hope you've been enjoying our deep dive into Necromunda over the past bit. We've had The Unkindness followed by a few bounty hunters. The bounty hunters are fantastically characterful models and I've loved moving between Yar Umbra, to The Deserter and now Mad Dog Mono!


Necromunda

Firstly, WHAT A COOL MODEL!!!! Don't you just love his pose, holding his magnum like a gangster in one hand and a massive hook-spear in the other! I love the idea that he's a gate-keeper, guarding the great Ash Gates of Port Mad Dog. 

Necromunda

As usual, I started by blocking in the main base colours. For the yellow I mixed Yriel Yellow and Steel Legion Drab, the blue is The Fang + White Scar. The brown of the pouches is just Doombull Brown and his elbow-length gloves are Steel Legion Drab. 

A new colour I made was the brass of his hook's handle. I mixed Retributor Armour with Runefang Steel in a 50:50 ratio. 

Necromunda

Then for the washes! Agrax Earthshade on the Yellow, Ushabti Bone, spear handle and gloves. Nuln Oil on the jeans, steel, and brown pouches.

Necromunda

Wanting to keep with the washed out pastel tones, rather than using lighter versions of each colour, I just added white to the original mixes. 

Necromunda

For Mono's skin, I wanted to get a weathered leathery look, befitting someone who works out in the Ash Wastes. I started with Cadian Fleshtone, washed with 1:1 Reikland Fleshshade : Lahmian Medium. I highlighted it up with a mix of Scale 75's Basic Flesh and Golden Skin highlighted with Pale Skin all mixed with Lahmian Medium. 

Necromunda

As I've mentioned before, I've really put in an effort to push my blends and highlights a bit further than previously. I have been using more stages to blend (mixing in small amounts of white for highlights) and have been going a bit brighter with the highlights. Some good advice I heard before was 'once you think you've highlighted enough, go one step lighter'. I think this has really made these recent Necromunda models pop. 

Necromunda

Anyway, I'm just about ready to stop yammering on. But one final detail is the little tuft of hair sticking out of the top of his mask. I painted it ginger in reference to another character whose persona is defined by the mask he wears: Rorchach.

Necromunda

I started by saying that this is an awesome model and I hope you agree!


Watching: my brand new daughter, Saoirse. 
Reading: Necromunda: The Book of Peril


Next Week: 

From the Immaterium...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Full Stop - Oathsworn: Into the Deepwood

The monstrous Deepwood has consumed the land.  No farms or fields remain. There is only corruption, rot and the endless shadow of the twisted trees. ~ Shadowborne Games Pot's Peace, Oathsworn. Welcome to The Art of Caesura! What's all this then, TWO posts in one day!? Well yes, you see timing is of the essence here. Today marks the 200th post of The Art of Caesura , so if you haven't had a chance to check out the celebratory post, please do so !  There is also a Kickstarter ongoing at the moment, that I am getting quite excited by, but it closes on Tuesday, so if I left it till next Friday to tell you about it...it would be too late! Hence, in a world first, two hits of The Art of Caesura in one day! Now onward, into the world of Oathsworn: Into the Deepwood ! Credit: Shadowborne Games Nota bene : I am not associated with Shadowborne Games, and am just writing this because it is something that I am genuinely excited about. None of the

"The Skinny" - Scale 75 Flesh Paint Set Review

The complexion of a light-skinned face  divides into three zones: The forehead has a light golden colour  because it's freer of muscles and surface capillaries. The ears, cheeks and nose all lie within the central zone of the face.  Those areas have more capillaries carrying oxygenated blood near the surface, causing the reddish colour... The zone from the nose to the chin (where there are relatively more veins carrying blue deoxygenated blood) tends toward a bluish, greenish or greyish colour. Some artists accentuated this subtle bluish or greenish hue to bring out the reddish lip colour. Color and Light (page 156) - James Gurney Welcome all to The Art of Caesura! So I finished all the models in Warhammer Quest Silver Tower!! Wooohooo!! Now for something a bit different!  This week I'm going to do something I've never done on the blog before: write a review!! I've been wanting to write my thoughts on  Scale 75 's Flesh Paint Set for ov

"From the City of Shadows" - Arkanaut Company (Painting - Part 1)

The City of Shadows has a dubious reputation  amongst the Overlords, often labelled pirates  or worse by other duardin of their rival sky-ports. Barak Mhornar - Games Workshop Welcome back to another Friday on The Art of Caesura! Let's pick it up from last week and dive right back in to the Arkanauts. Last time we saw them they were all grey and naked. No longer!! This is going to be part one of a two-parter on the painting of these guys before we look their bases and then at the finished Company in the following weeks. I was going to try to cram it all into one post, but wow there is a lot of detail on these guys, and we're in no hurry, so best to spread it out and give it all it's due.  Barak Zilfin Colour Scheme When the Kharadron Overlords first came out I was looking at all the colour schemes and thinking "man, Barak Zilfin all the way!  I mean look at all that copper!" But over the year, my tastes have...matured and I came to really