Skip to main content

"One Thick Coat" - Battle for Skull Pass Grots - Part II (Contrast Paints)

Can the stoic dwarfs, led by Godri Thunderbrand, 
fend off the greenskin invaders
and save the fledgling settlement of Karak Grom?
Or will the banner of the Crooked Moon boys
fly high above Skull Pass?

Battle for Skull Pass - Nathan Long


Welcome fellows all to another instalment of The Art of Caesura!

We've been looking at Oathsworn: Into the Deepwood over the past couple of weeks, but it is time to return to The Mortal Realms!

This week we're going to check back in with a project that I've had simmering away in the background for the past few months - my Night Goblins (Moonclan Grots) from the old Battle For Skull Pass box-set. 

When last we left this horde of little buggers I'd just finished cleaning all 80 minis. And, I hasten to remind you that I am not an army painter. Painting five dudes at a time is a lot for me! Anyway, I felt like this would be a project for which Contrast Paints could really come into their own. So lets get caught up on what I've managed to get done in the background over these past few months. 


Battle for Skull Pass

Above are all the Contrast Paints that I used for these goblins (plus Plaguebearer Flesh). I have been using Contrast Paints for a few months now since I first tried them at Warhammer Fest. This is my first large-scale project where I'm predominantly using Contrast Paints, so I'll give a couple thoughts on each paint as I discuss them. 

I started by spraying all of the standard grots on foot with Grey Seer (again, you can really use any light spray undercoat when using Contrast. I sprayed the rest of the minis (the spider riders, troll, and scenery bits) with Wraith Bone to differentiate them a little. 

Battle for Skull Pass

Battle for Skull Pass

Battle for Skull Pass

Battle for Skull Pass

Battle for Skull Pass

I then got a massive conveyor belt going and painted each component of the gobbos starting with the lightest ('weakest') contrast paint: Skeleton Horde. I used this for all of the wrappings, rope belts, arrow feathers and skulls. Skeleton Horde was one of the colours that I was most impressed with when I first tried the contrast paints at Warhammer Fest 2019. I still find it does an excellent job of simulating Ushabti Bone + Agrax Earthshade. 

Battle for Skull Pass

I actually forgot to take photos of the first few steps individually, but after Skeleton Horde, I painted the skin of their arms and faces Plaguebearer Flesh. This is a really pale green that works perfectly for these anaemic, cave-dwelling goblins. 

Battle for Skull Pass

Next came Nazdreg Yellow on details like moons on their shields and belt buckles. Nazdreg is a nice deep golden yellow. I usually just mix my yellows from Yriel Yellow, so can't be sure on a colour match, but at a guess I would say Nazdreg is like Averland Sunset + Seraphim Sepia. It is quite a 'strong' (high pigment) colour. 

Battle for Skull Pass

After Nazdreg Yellow came Snakebite Leather. I used this ol' call-back for the goblins' shoes, quivers and pouches. Despite its light tone, it is a very strong (high pigment) colour and has a different (smoother) finish than many of the other Contrast Paints that I have tried. 

Battle for Skull Pass

Battle for Skull Pass

Following on from Snakbite Leather came Wildwood - excuse me - Wyldwood. I used this on the bows, arrows and spears. 

Battle for Skull Pass

And finally we were on to the colour that makes up the majority of the model: black; Black Templar in this case. I actually found this one a little tricky to get right. If I applied it too heavily it would look a bit flat, negating the Contrast properties, but if applied too light then tide marks became more of an issue. After 80 minis I managed to get it right ;) 

Battle for Skull Pass

The trick to these contrast paints is getting used to the right consistency of application (typically a little thicker than one would expect - though it unfortunately varies between different colours). Once you have the consistency right it's about keeping it right - so only painting sections of a model at a time (the more you paint in one go, the thinner the paint will get before you "reload"). This was very simple with the grots because there were a lot of folds to hide the take-off points in (if you take the brush off in the middle of a flat surface you're more likely to get an unsightly tidemark). I painted their hood in one go, then the bit going over their shoulders down to the top of their belt, and finally their skirt.

Battle for Skull Pass

Battle for Skull Pass

Battle for Skull Pass

I know it may not seam like it because I went colour by colour rather than painting one model to completion, but I would say that this Contrast method allowed me to get each of these goblins up to this level (start-to-finish) in under 5 minutes!

Battle for Skull Pass

All that remains on the rank and file are bases and details (eyes, teeth and metal bits (spear heads etc). Overall, I'm pretty happy with the level I've been able to achieve in the time devoted to them. I don't know if I would ever have got around to painting them using the conventional method. 

I hope that my first large-scale foray into Contrast Paints has been helpful. As always, feel free to leave any questions below. 

See you next week on The Art of Caesura!


Reading: Paradise Lost - John Milton
Watching: Toby sculpting Oathsworn minis
Listening: Beneath the Eyrie - Pixies


Next Week:

Sworn enemies...

Comments

  1. Nice, I painted the exact same set with almost exactly the same method as yourself but instead of using black Templar for the robes I already had the robes colour from black priming and then dry brushed the robes a grey, the worst part for me was painting wraithbone on all the parts I wanted to contrast after...so did I save time probably not lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Contrast paints really excel at motivating us to do these hordes that may otherwise never have got painted. Do you have photos of yours anywhere? I'd love to see them!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Tell me all...

Popular posts from this blog

The Full Stop - Oathsworn: Into the Deepwood

The monstrous Deepwood has consumed the land.  No farms or fields remain. There is only corruption, rot and the endless shadow of the twisted trees. ~ Shadowborne Games Pot's Peace, Oathsworn. Welcome to The Art of Caesura! What's all this then, TWO posts in one day!? Well yes, you see timing is of the essence here. Today marks the 200th post of The Art of Caesura , so if you haven't had a chance to check out the celebratory post, please do so !  There is also a Kickstarter ongoing at the moment, that I am getting quite excited by, but it closes on Tuesday, so if I left it till next Friday to tell you about it...it would be too late! Hence, in a world first, two hits of The Art of Caesura in one day! Now onward, into the world of Oathsworn: Into the Deepwood ! Credit: Shadowborne Games Nota bene : I am not associated with Shadowborne Games, and am just writing this because it is something that I am genuinely excited about. None of the

"The Skinny" - Scale 75 Flesh Paint Set Review

The complexion of a light-skinned face  divides into three zones: The forehead has a light golden colour  because it's freer of muscles and surface capillaries. The ears, cheeks and nose all lie within the central zone of the face.  Those areas have more capillaries carrying oxygenated blood near the surface, causing the reddish colour... The zone from the nose to the chin (where there are relatively more veins carrying blue deoxygenated blood) tends toward a bluish, greenish or greyish colour. Some artists accentuated this subtle bluish or greenish hue to bring out the reddish lip colour. Color and Light (page 156) - James Gurney Welcome all to The Art of Caesura! So I finished all the models in Warhammer Quest Silver Tower!! Wooohooo!! Now for something a bit different!  This week I'm going to do something I've never done on the blog before: write a review!! I've been wanting to write my thoughts on  Scale 75 's Flesh Paint Set for ov

"From the City of Shadows" - Arkanaut Company (Painting - Part 1)

The City of Shadows has a dubious reputation  amongst the Overlords, often labelled pirates  or worse by other duardin of their rival sky-ports. Barak Mhornar - Games Workshop Welcome back to another Friday on The Art of Caesura! Let's pick it up from last week and dive right back in to the Arkanauts. Last time we saw them they were all grey and naked. No longer!! This is going to be part one of a two-parter on the painting of these guys before we look their bases and then at the finished Company in the following weeks. I was going to try to cram it all into one post, but wow there is a lot of detail on these guys, and we're in no hurry, so best to spread it out and give it all it's due.  Barak Zilfin Colour Scheme When the Kharadron Overlords first came out I was looking at all the colour schemes and thinking "man, Barak Zilfin all the way!  I mean look at all that copper!" But over the year, my tastes have...matured and I came to really