Skip to main content

"Small But Mighty" - Dwarf Lord with Great Weapon

We sons of Grungni may have drunk deep
from the bitter waters of misfortune, 
but we yet survive. 
Whilst a single Dwarf draws breath, 
we will fight the evils that assail us, 
and we will never, ever give up.

- Hengist Stonebelly


Welcome longbeards and beardlings to The Art of Caesura!

With our gaze turned back to the Mortal Realms, and last week's look at the million goblins that I'm chipping away at, it seemed like a good opportunity to paint a dwarf to balance out all the goblins!



In an effort to regain some of my sanity after all those gobbos, it was nice to paint ONE highly detailed model. 

I don't actually know where I got this guy from - probably an old ebay purchase - and all I could find out about the model itself is that it was called "Dwarf Lord with Great Weapon". What I do know though, is that it is probably one of my favourite all-time dwarf models!! I know, fightin' words!

Pre-shades.
I just think this model oozes Dwarf character, and basically personifies the race in one miniature! Stoic, grumpy, heavily bearded, and carrying ornate armour and weaponry. To me, his face looks very much like Brian Nelson's work (though I cannot confirm this - please let me know below if you know who the scuptor was). Nelson is one of my favourite all-time sculptors, largely for his work on the old Orcs (the old Orc Shaman and Grimgor Ironhide are still some of my personal favourite miniatures). 


Post-Nuln Oil shade.
Anyway, it was fun to shift gears with this model. Let's get to the recipe. I wanted to have another go at the ruddy skin that I originally attempted with the Slaughterpriest. After listing the colours, I'll go into my technique.

Base coats
Skin: Bugman's Glow
Hair: Steel Legion Drab
Steel: Leadbelcher
Copper: Screaming Bell
Beard ties and belt trim: The Fang


Post-Agrax Earthshade shade.
Shades
Skin: Reikland Fleshshade
Hair: Agrax Earthshade
Steel: Nuln Oil
Copper: Agrax Earthshade
Beard ties and belt trim: Nuln Oil



Highlights
Skin: 1:1 mix Bugman's Glow and Scale 75's Pink Flesh with more and more Pale Flesh added. 
Hair: Steel Legion Drab with more and more Ushabti Bone added. Then White Scar added
Steel: Stormhost Silver
Copper: Hashut Copper
Beard ties and belt trim: The Fang with White Scar Added. 


But lets get a bit more granular. I want to focus on the face, as it is such a focal point for the model. Once I had the skin highlighted up by adding Pale Flesh into my mix of Bugman's and Pink Flesh, I recess-washed his eyes with Druchii Violet. I know I left them very dark, but that was intentional, I think one of cool elements of this model is his shadowy glower, so I tried to emphasize that. 


I wanted to give him a good ruddy complexion, so glazed Scale 75's Indian Shadow over his cheeks and nose. I ended up using 2 or 3 coats of this to build up a good glow. I then knocked it back a little with a bit of my highlight mix on his upper nose, above his nasolabial folds (the creases of skin from nose to mouth), and his ala (those bits of skin making up your nostrils). 


Close-up it may look like he's wearing make-up, but from a bit of a distance I think the effect reads. 


His hair took a while. After building up to pure Ushabti Bone (adding more and more into the Steel Legion Drab) I started adding White Scar to the pure Ushabti Bone until I reached pure White Scar.


The last few details were his ring, which I painted Liberator Gold (washed with Agrax) to make it stand out as special from the other metal; and the gems on the ax head and helmet which I painted as blue gemstones with a gloss varnish. 

I hope you liked this old classic, and if you have any insights about the origins of this model, please let me know!

See you next week on The Art of Caesura!


Reading: Paradise Lost (again) - John Milton
Watching: Ex Machina (again)


Next Week:

Ooogie boogie booooo!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Full Stop - Oathsworn: Into the Deepwood

The monstrous Deepwood has consumed the land.  No farms or fields remain. There is only corruption, rot and the endless shadow of the twisted trees. ~ Shadowborne Games Pot's Peace, Oathsworn. Welcome to The Art of Caesura! What's all this then, TWO posts in one day!? Well yes, you see timing is of the essence here. Today marks the 200th post of The Art of Caesura , so if you haven't had a chance to check out the celebratory post, please do so !  There is also a Kickstarter ongoing at the moment, that I am getting quite excited by, but it closes on Tuesday, so if I left it till next Friday to tell you about it...it would be too late! Hence, in a world first, two hits of The Art of Caesura in one day! Now onward, into the world of Oathsworn: Into the Deepwood ! Credit: Shadowborne Games Nota bene : I am not associated with Shadowborne Games, and am just writing this because it is something that I am genuinely excited about. None of the

"The Skinny" - Scale 75 Flesh Paint Set Review

The complexion of a light-skinned face  divides into three zones: The forehead has a light golden colour  because it's freer of muscles and surface capillaries. The ears, cheeks and nose all lie within the central zone of the face.  Those areas have more capillaries carrying oxygenated blood near the surface, causing the reddish colour... The zone from the nose to the chin (where there are relatively more veins carrying blue deoxygenated blood) tends toward a bluish, greenish or greyish colour. Some artists accentuated this subtle bluish or greenish hue to bring out the reddish lip colour. Color and Light (page 156) - James Gurney Welcome all to The Art of Caesura! So I finished all the models in Warhammer Quest Silver Tower!! Wooohooo!! Now for something a bit different!  This week I'm going to do something I've never done on the blog before: write a review!! I've been wanting to write my thoughts on  Scale 75 's Flesh Paint Set for ov

"From the City of Shadows" - Arkanaut Company (Painting - Part 1)

The City of Shadows has a dubious reputation  amongst the Overlords, often labelled pirates  or worse by other duardin of their rival sky-ports. Barak Mhornar - Games Workshop Welcome back to another Friday on The Art of Caesura! Let's pick it up from last week and dive right back in to the Arkanauts. Last time we saw them they were all grey and naked. No longer!! This is going to be part one of a two-parter on the painting of these guys before we look their bases and then at the finished Company in the following weeks. I was going to try to cram it all into one post, but wow there is a lot of detail on these guys, and we're in no hurry, so best to spread it out and give it all it's due.  Barak Zilfin Colour Scheme When the Kharadron Overlords first came out I was looking at all the colour schemes and thinking "man, Barak Zilfin all the way!  I mean look at all that copper!" But over the year, my tastes have...matured and I came to really