Skip to main content

"Her Screaming Essence" - Thorns of the Briar Queen - Part III

The Briar Queen was once a death mage of formidable power, 
a great enemy of Shadespire whose undead armies 
breached the city walls and threatened to tear down 
all that the Katophranes had built. 
Only after unthinkable bloodshed was the Briar Queen defeated, 
captured and sentenced to an eternity of imprisonment 
and torment in the Nightvault, far beneath the city streets.



Enter if you dare to The Art of Caesura!

And now, after two weeks of looking at The Thorns at her side, I bring you The Briar Queen!

Warhammer Underworlds

This is such a cool model! Something I (and I think a lot of hobbyists) enjoy about Warhammer Underworlds is that you can paint a few models that you wouldn't normally have a "reason" to paint. 

Warhammer Underworlds

I wasn't about to start a new Nighthaunt army, but I wanted to have a go at painting the ghosts, so this was the perfect opportunity!

Warhammer Underworlds

As I mentioned before, I painted all of the Chainrasps together, but painted their Queen separately. This was just so I could lavish a bit more attention to detail and blends. 

Warhammer Underworlds

The majority of the colours were the same as previously described ("skin" began as Nihilakh Oxide (man, I need to look up the spelling of that one every time!) with a very thin 4:1 Lahmian Medium:Nuln Oil wash. This was highlighted with a mix of Gauss Blaster Green + Lothern Blue + White Scar. I focused my highlights out towards the tips of her fingers. 

Warhammer Underworlds

Her skull was Skeleton Horde, but where on the Chainrasps I left it at that, for her, I recess-shaded with Agrax and highlighted with Ushabti Bone, adding white for her fangs and tip of her "nose". 

Like with the Chainrasps, her wispy bits (sounds lewd!) are Space Wolves Grey with highlights of The Fang mixed with white. I built this highlight up as a glaze using more layers than I did for the rest of the gang to really push the smoothness of the blend. 

For her veil I just used Apothecary White (a really handy shade for white!) with subtle glazes of Grey Seer and then White Scar on the prominences, and less dilute stippling around her "face" to add some texture.

Warhammer Underworlds

The vines are Militarum Green and Creed Camo for the leaves. The vines got a wash of 1:1 mix of Biel-Tan Green:Seraphim Sepia and the leaves were washed with pure Biel-Tan. Both were highlighted with a mix of Warboss Green + Ushabti Bone. 

For the titular thorns I started with Skeleton Horde, washed at the bases with Druchii Violet and then highlighted with Ushabti and white (sounds like a drink).

The roses were Fleshtearer Red washed with Druchii Violet and highlighted with Screamer Pink with Ushabti Bone added (instead of white to avoid an overly cutsie pink appearance).

Warhammer Underworlds

Every queen needs a crown, and hers started as Nazdreg Yellow (I'm getting better at these Contrast Paint names!) over Runefang Steel (same as her dagger handle). I gave a gentle recess shade wash of Agrax Earthshade, and also used this where her crown meets her veil to create some shadow. These were highlighted with Retributor Armor and then Stormhost Silver (most sparingly!)

The gems on her crown, on the end of her veil and the beads around her waist were Leviadon Blue (which definitely has a purplish hue to my eye!) highlighted with a mix of Screamer Pink and Altdorf Blue (I always find this makes a nice neutral purple), with more and more white added in for the gemstone effect. I then finished them with a lick of gloss varnish. 

Warhammer Underworlds

Her bodice / corset was my new brass recipe of Snakebite Leather over Runefang Steel. I didn't have to shade it at all, and only gave the gentlest of highlights with Runefang Steel and then Stormhost Silver. 

Warhammer Underworlds

And there we go! I think she stands out nicely from her Chainrasp minions by being a more elaborate miniature with a lighter colour palate, while still clearly belonging to the gang. 

Warhammer Underworlds

I think the Briar Queen gives a nice example of lavishing a little more time on the leader model without making them totally at odds with the rest of the gang.

Let me know what you think of The Thorns. See you next week on The Art of Caesura!


Reading: Finding Gobi - Dion Leonard
Listening: Ready for Love - Pixies
Drinking: Wiklow Wolf Oatmeal Stout
Gaming: Mortal Kombat 11


Next Week:

Yuletide cheer...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Full Stop - Oathsworn: Into the Deepwood

The monstrous Deepwood has consumed the land.  No farms or fields remain. There is only corruption, rot and the endless shadow of the twisted trees. ~ Shadowborne Games Pot's Peace, Oathsworn. Welcome to The Art of Caesura! What's all this then, TWO posts in one day!? Well yes, you see timing is of the essence here. Today marks the 200th post of The Art of Caesura , so if you haven't had a chance to check out the celebratory post, please do so !  There is also a Kickstarter ongoing at the moment, that I am getting quite excited by, but it closes on Tuesday, so if I left it till next Friday to tell you about it...it would be too late! Hence, in a world first, two hits of The Art of Caesura in one day! Now onward, into the world of Oathsworn: Into the Deepwood ! Credit: Shadowborne Games Nota bene : I am not associated with Shadowborne Games, and am just writing this because it is something that I am genuinely excited about. None of the

"The Skinny" - Scale 75 Flesh Paint Set Review

The complexion of a light-skinned face  divides into three zones: The forehead has a light golden colour  because it's freer of muscles and surface capillaries. The ears, cheeks and nose all lie within the central zone of the face.  Those areas have more capillaries carrying oxygenated blood near the surface, causing the reddish colour... The zone from the nose to the chin (where there are relatively more veins carrying blue deoxygenated blood) tends toward a bluish, greenish or greyish colour. Some artists accentuated this subtle bluish or greenish hue to bring out the reddish lip colour. Color and Light (page 156) - James Gurney Welcome all to The Art of Caesura! So I finished all the models in Warhammer Quest Silver Tower!! Wooohooo!! Now for something a bit different!  This week I'm going to do something I've never done on the blog before: write a review!! I've been wanting to write my thoughts on  Scale 75 's Flesh Paint Set for ov

Warhammer 40k for Beginners - Writing an Army List

Hello again good friends of the Caesura! I am glad to report that I am feeling much better than last week, recovered from most of my COVID symptoms. Continuing from last week's post , I'm ready to tell you more about the lists that JP and I took for my first game of Warhammer 40k in over a decade and a half.  I have tried to write this post for those who know very little about playing Warhammer 40k (which was me when I started preparing for this game).  So, I knew that I wanted to keep things straightforward for my first game and that we were playing to 500 points. For those non-warhammerites, this is basically the smallest game you can play - less moving parts to keep track of.  Here is my list again, but this time I will discuss what it all means, and my thought process behind each choice: + Stratagems [-1CP] + Stratagem: Revered Repositories [-1CP] This just means that before the game I used one of my finite resources ("Command Points") to buy a very fancy weapon (