Skip to main content

"Combat Tinkerer" - Johannes

Johannes is too humble and focused to admit it, 
but he is one of the smartest engineers of these dark times. 
His native tongue is science.

Zombicide.com


Greetings, brave survivors, and welcome back to The Art of Caesura!

Today we have a very special survivor - he's my fave - the absent-minded professor: Johannes. 



Zombicide: Green Horde

It's funny, in our games even though he's my favourite character (or, more accurately, because he's my favourite) I play super conservatively with him because I don't want him to die. While this is probably thematic for being an engineer / inventor, rather than a soldier, it means that he doesn't usually get up to too much in our games. 

Zombicide: Green Horde

Painting this mini was a lot of fun. I like his pose, he's kind of in an awkward, closed position which suits his character. Impressively, even though his belt is as busy as can be (with daggers, sextants, scrolls, an hour glass, pouches, belts, buckles and more!) his upper body is much less cluttered so those details do not detract from his focal point (face). I emphasized this even more by painting his chest red and face relatively pale to draw the gaze up to his face. 

Zombicide: Green Horde

I had A LOT of fun with this guy's cloak. I'm trying to get a bit better at "volumetric" highlights rather than straight up edge highlights. What I mean by that is really trying to see which areas (of his cloak, for example) would be the most in a "realistic" light shining from above (or maybe a 45 degree angle from above). This would not always be the "edges" of the fabric that would get picked up doing straight edge highlighting. 

Zombicide: Green Horde

Let's look at an example: his cloak, in the images above and below, has a lot of nice soft folds. If I was edge highlighting, each fold would be given a similar degree of highlight. The benefit of this (at it is done supremely well by Games Workshop's 'Eavy Metal painters) is that it really shows off the details of the model.  

Zombicide: Green Horde

Whereas, the volumetric highlighting that I am trying to portray gives more weight (more levels of highlights) to the areas of the cloak up around his head and hardly any in the concavities of the cloak. The benefits of this technique is the effect (if done well) can create a bit more dramatic realism. 

Anyway, my journey into volumetric highlighting is only just beginning, but it is always fun to keep right on learning!

Zombicide: Green Horde

I started Johannes from a Wraith Bone undercoat and kicked off with some contrast colours: Flesh Tearers Red for his shirt, Militarum Green for his cloak. From here, I painted his metal bits Leadbelcher and then painted his arms, hair, legs and metal bits with Black Templar. I then layered up all these colours with "conventional" paints. 

Zombicide: Green Horde

I spent a lot of time on his face, using the skills I had honed on the bigger scale of the Blood Bowl Ogre a few weeks ago. I think these techniques really bring some life into his face. 

Zombicide: Green Horde

In the game that my wife and I are currently playing, Johannes is in a bit of a sticky situation: he and Seli are staring down a couple fatties and runners. Hopefully he doesn't go the way of Rolf...

See you next week on The Art of Caesura!


Reading: Hungry Hill - Daphne Du Maurier
Gaming: Disco Elysium


Next Week: 

Ready, (don't bother aiming), FIRE!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Full Stop - Oathsworn: Into the Deepwood

The monstrous Deepwood has consumed the land.  No farms or fields remain. There is only corruption, rot and the endless shadow of the twisted trees. ~ Shadowborne Games Pot's Peace, Oathsworn. Welcome to The Art of Caesura! What's all this then, TWO posts in one day!? Well yes, you see timing is of the essence here. Today marks the 200th post of The Art of Caesura , so if you haven't had a chance to check out the celebratory post, please do so !  There is also a Kickstarter ongoing at the moment, that I am getting quite excited by, but it closes on Tuesday, so if I left it till next Friday to tell you about it...it would be too late! Hence, in a world first, two hits of The Art of Caesura in one day! Now onward, into the world of Oathsworn: Into the Deepwood ! Credit: Shadowborne Games Nota bene : I am not associated with Shadowborne Games, and am just writing this because it is something that I am genuinely excited about. None of the

"The Skinny" - Scale 75 Flesh Paint Set Review

The complexion of a light-skinned face  divides into three zones: The forehead has a light golden colour  because it's freer of muscles and surface capillaries. The ears, cheeks and nose all lie within the central zone of the face.  Those areas have more capillaries carrying oxygenated blood near the surface, causing the reddish colour... The zone from the nose to the chin (where there are relatively more veins carrying blue deoxygenated blood) tends toward a bluish, greenish or greyish colour. Some artists accentuated this subtle bluish or greenish hue to bring out the reddish lip colour. Color and Light (page 156) - James Gurney Welcome all to The Art of Caesura! So I finished all the models in Warhammer Quest Silver Tower!! Wooohooo!! Now for something a bit different!  This week I'm going to do something I've never done on the blog before: write a review!! I've been wanting to write my thoughts on  Scale 75 's Flesh Paint Set for ov

Warhammer 40k for Beginners - Writing an Army List

Hello again good friends of the Caesura! I am glad to report that I am feeling much better than last week, recovered from most of my COVID symptoms. Continuing from last week's post , I'm ready to tell you more about the lists that JP and I took for my first game of Warhammer 40k in over a decade and a half.  I have tried to write this post for those who know very little about playing Warhammer 40k (which was me when I started preparing for this game).  So, I knew that I wanted to keep things straightforward for my first game and that we were playing to 500 points. For those non-warhammerites, this is basically the smallest game you can play - less moving parts to keep track of.  Here is my list again, but this time I will discuss what it all means, and my thought process behind each choice: + Stratagems [-1CP] + Stratagem: Revered Repositories [-1CP] This just means that before the game I used one of my finite resources ("Command Points") to buy a very fancy weapon (