Skip to main content

"Making a Swamp Base" - Preyton Part II

There is peace in the swamp,
though the quiet is Death.

~Bret Harte


Welcome to a swampy setting today on The Art of Caesura!

If you haven't had a chance to check out last week's post, I would suggest that it would be a good place to start. Last week we discussed the process of painting Forge World's Preyton, this week we're going to look at making a cool base for it!


Making a swamp base

Before I started painting the Preyton, I had this image of it lurking through a swamp by moonlight, hence the super-desaturated colour scheme. All that remained...was to create the swamp! 

I knew I wanted to include stagnant water to really sell the idea of the swamp. Initially I hoped to paint the reflection of the moonlight in the water, but as you'll see, I ran into enough issues with the water alone, so had to abandon that idea. 


Making a swamp base

I started with just a stick that I broke into an interesting shape to complement the Preyton's twisted posture - stalking over a fallen tree. I clipped the rocky crag from under it's left talon and ensured the stick was positioned in such a way that the height of his talon would be correct. 


Making a swamp base

I then sealed the wood with PVA glue. And (not shown) I coated it in sand to give a bit more texture. 

Making a swamp base

Next I had to make a depression for the water to go in. This meant building up the base of the...base a bit. I used some corrugated cardboard for this. 

Making a swamp base

Making a swamp base

Making a swamp base

Making a swamp base

Making a swamp base

Making a swamp base

With the cardboard cut to size, I positioned the Preyton to see where I would have the pool of water and marked this out...

Making a swamp base

Making a swamp base

...before cutting it out of the top layer of cardboard. 

Making a swamp base

Making a swamp base

Next, out came the Milliput to smooth the edges. 

Making a swamp base

To heighten the realism of the swampy setting, I wanted to have loads of texture and leafy detritus on the ground. I had heard of people using herbs for this but had never tried it myself. So I raided the spice rack to look for herbs and spices that would scale well. I settled on chillies, rosemary and mixed herbs. 

Making a swamp base

I started by coating the base with sand, and once dry I applied another layer of PVA glue, then I just went mad, sprinkling the herbs everywhere (including the underside of the stick). It actually smelled glorious at this stage: like a big pizza pie!

Making a swamp base

Making a swamp base

Making a swamp base

I applied another layer of PVA to seal it all in, then painted the whole base black and popped on some skulls. 

Making a swamp base

Then came the painting proper. I kept it quick and messy, drybrushing many thin layers of Steel Legion Drab first mixed with black and working up through Ushabti Bone. I wanted to keep the overall tone dark and neutral browns to give some separation from the greys on the Preyton. I didn't highlight where the water would go, to give a greater illusion of depth. 


Making a swamp base

Making a swamp base

I am nothing if not enthusiastic, and this next bit really demonstrates that. I decided to create a "pool of water" effect never having done it before and not having any "still water effects" products. 

What I did have is the Vallejo Extra Heavy Gel stuff that I use for my Kharadron Overlords bases - but I hasten to add that this isn't designed for a "still water" effect, quite the opposite actually. Undaunted, I slapped a bit of the Extra Heavy Gel down and left it overnight to dry. 

Making a swamp base

The next day it was still a little cloudy as you can see below

Making a swamp base

So I said "screw this" and painted over the lot with the brown tones, but the Heavy Gel (as it is intended) had left a rough, choppy texture which didn't really suit a stagnant pool. I was beginning to despair. 

Making a swamp base

Next, I tried pouring a thick layer of gloss varnish on to see if that would work, but after leaving it overnight, it too had gone cloudy and milky. Grrrr. 

Making a swamp base

So rather than messing with it anymore, I set it aside and worked on something else for a few days. When I pulled it out again a few days later, lo and behold, It had worked! It seems I just had not been giving the various products time to dry (cure?) and so, in the end, I was really happy with how it turned out.

Making a swamp base

The water is opaque enough that you can't see the bottom, strengthening the eerie, swampy feel; but it is still somewhat transparent so that it looks like water. 

Making a swamp base

I really had to resist highlighting the skulls up to Ushabti Bone and beyond. I really wanted the highlights on the Preyton's face to be the lightest points of the whole model. I like that some of the skulls are kind of hard to see, it rewards the viewer for spending time looking at the model. 

Tune in next week for the finished model, right here on The Art of Caesura!


Listening: Wolf Totem - The HU
Reading: The Guest List - Lucy Foley
Watching: The Fall (season 1)


Next Week:

Seeking its own shadow...

Comments

  1. That was brilliant! The herbs...the water, you are a genius!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thanks! "Genius" might be a bit of a stretch, but I'll take it ;)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Tell me all...

Popular posts from this blog

The Full Stop - Oathsworn: Into the Deepwood

The monstrous Deepwood has consumed the land.  No farms or fields remain. There is only corruption, rot and the endless shadow of the twisted trees. ~ Shadowborne Games Pot's Peace, Oathsworn. Welcome to The Art of Caesura! What's all this then, TWO posts in one day!? Well yes, you see timing is of the essence here. Today marks the 200th post of The Art of Caesura , so if you haven't had a chance to check out the celebratory post, please do so !  There is also a Kickstarter ongoing at the moment, that I am getting quite excited by, but it closes on Tuesday, so if I left it till next Friday to tell you about it...it would be too late! Hence, in a world first, two hits of The Art of Caesura in one day! Now onward, into the world of Oathsworn: Into the Deepwood ! Credit: Shadowborne Games Nota bene : I am not associated with Shadowborne Games, and am just writing this because it is something that I am genuinely excited about. None of the

"The Skinny" - Scale 75 Flesh Paint Set Review

The complexion of a light-skinned face  divides into three zones: The forehead has a light golden colour  because it's freer of muscles and surface capillaries. The ears, cheeks and nose all lie within the central zone of the face.  Those areas have more capillaries carrying oxygenated blood near the surface, causing the reddish colour... The zone from the nose to the chin (where there are relatively more veins carrying blue deoxygenated blood) tends toward a bluish, greenish or greyish colour. Some artists accentuated this subtle bluish or greenish hue to bring out the reddish lip colour. Color and Light (page 156) - James Gurney Welcome all to The Art of Caesura! So I finished all the models in Warhammer Quest Silver Tower!! Wooohooo!! Now for something a bit different!  This week I'm going to do something I've never done on the blog before: write a review!! I've been wanting to write my thoughts on  Scale 75 's Flesh Paint Set for ov

"From the City of Shadows" - Arkanaut Company (Painting - Part 1)

The City of Shadows has a dubious reputation  amongst the Overlords, often labelled pirates  or worse by other duardin of their rival sky-ports. Barak Mhornar - Games Workshop Welcome back to another Friday on The Art of Caesura! Let's pick it up from last week and dive right back in to the Arkanauts. Last time we saw them they were all grey and naked. No longer!! This is going to be part one of a two-parter on the painting of these guys before we look their bases and then at the finished Company in the following weeks. I was going to try to cram it all into one post, but wow there is a lot of detail on these guys, and we're in no hurry, so best to spread it out and give it all it's due.  Barak Zilfin Colour Scheme When the Kharadron Overlords first came out I was looking at all the colour schemes and thinking "man, Barak Zilfin all the way!  I mean look at all that copper!" But over the year, my tastes have...matured and I came to really