Skip to main content

"Plunder the Sartosan Coast" - Manann's Blades Command

The mercenary company of dark repute 
that is led by Edvard Van Der Kraal 
takes its name from the quixotic 
and violent sea god of the Empire.



Avast land-lubbers, hop aboard The Art of Caesura!

To celebrate "International Talk Like a Pirate Day" tomorrow, today we'll be looking at a very scurvy scallywag: the champion from Manann's Blades.


I really liked the idea of The Dogs of War in Warhammer's Old World. They were a ragtag army of mercenaries of every race. Aesthetically, they seemed like the sculptors' chance to really let loose. I still love Ruglud's Armoured Orcs and wish I had picked them up when they were still in production. 

Anyway, after the Preyton over the past few weeks, I had been digging around in my box of old Forge World minis and found this fun little guy. I actually didn't have any clue who he was before I got started, but just loved his character, pose and peg-leg. 

I started by making a new round base for him by gluing some old sprue into a slotta base. 


For my colour scheme, I thought it would be fun to pretend that one day I would have the time to put together a Tempest's Eye Cities of Sigmar army (because they work closely with Kharadron Overlords). So I painted him in the same colour scheme as my Barak Mhornar KO. 


Recipe:

Base colours:

Beige: Ushabti Bone
Blue: Stegadon Scale Green
Copper: Screaming Bell
Steel: Leadbelcher

Look at those luscious blue blends!

Shades:

Beige: Agrax Earthshade
Blue: Nuln Oil
Copper: Agrax Earthshade
Steel: Nuln Oil

A nice lumpy, grumpy face.

Highlights:

Beige: Ushabti Bone, add White Scar
Blue: Sotek Green, add Lothern Blue, add White Scar on the edges
Copper: Hashut Copper, add Stormhost Silver
Steel: Runefang Steel, add Stormhost Silver


The actual colours themselves were the easy part, because like I said, I just used the same recipe as my Kharadron Overlords. The tricky part was figuring out where to place each colour.


Transferring the colour-scheme from the coloured armour panels of the KO to the cloth of this dude (brimming with details) was trickier than I expected: should this ruff be blue, should that poof be beige? That sort of thing.


Looking at the finished pictures now, the only thing I would have changed would be the colour of the kerchief around his neck. I think if I was to go back, I would paint it blue instead to give more contrast from his pale skin. I had painted it beige because it is visible at the sides and back of his neck and I wanted to give some separation where it meets his blue cloak. But I think the face would have popped more against a darker surrounds. Live and learn. 


For his skin, I used my Pale Flesh recipe (Cadian Fleshtone -> S75 Basic Flesh then mix in more and more S75 Pale Skin) to give a bit more vavavoom, I gave him a harrowing gaze with a glaze of diluted Druchii Violet around his eyes. 


To make him properly hardened, he needed stubble which I created by glazing a mix of Nuln Oil + Drakenhoff Nightshade heavily diluted with Lahmian Medium. 


And finally, for that windswept (and rum-soaked) look, I ruddied up his cheeks with heavily diluted S75 African Shadow. Painting this undiluted onto his lips. 


For his dandy feather, I started with Ushabti Bone, shaded with Seraphim Sepia and then highlighted with a mix of White Scar and Vallejo Metal Medium.


The exposure got a bit messed up in the picture above, but I kept it because you can get a better angle of his face. Below you can see the peg-leg that attracted me to the model in the first place!


And with that I bid you YO-HO! I'm off to plunder, but I'll see you next week on The Art of Caesura!


Reading: The New Jim Crow : Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colourblindness - Michelle Alexander
Watching: Tenet (2020) - Christopher Nolan
Listening: The Great Chinggis Khaan - The Hu


Next Week:

Abominable...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Full Stop - Oathsworn: Into the Deepwood

The monstrous Deepwood has consumed the land.  No farms or fields remain. There is only corruption, rot and the endless shadow of the twisted trees. ~ Shadowborne Games Pot's Peace, Oathsworn. Welcome to The Art of Caesura! What's all this then, TWO posts in one day!? Well yes, you see timing is of the essence here. Today marks the 200th post of The Art of Caesura , so if you haven't had a chance to check out the celebratory post, please do so !  There is also a Kickstarter ongoing at the moment, that I am getting quite excited by, but it closes on Tuesday, so if I left it till next Friday to tell you about it...it would be too late! Hence, in a world first, two hits of The Art of Caesura in one day! Now onward, into the world of Oathsworn: Into the Deepwood ! Credit: Shadowborne Games Nota bene : I am not associated with Shadowborne Games, and am just writing this because it is something that I am genuinely excited about. None of the

"The Skinny" - Scale 75 Flesh Paint Set Review

The complexion of a light-skinned face  divides into three zones: The forehead has a light golden colour  because it's freer of muscles and surface capillaries. The ears, cheeks and nose all lie within the central zone of the face.  Those areas have more capillaries carrying oxygenated blood near the surface, causing the reddish colour... The zone from the nose to the chin (where there are relatively more veins carrying blue deoxygenated blood) tends toward a bluish, greenish or greyish colour. Some artists accentuated this subtle bluish or greenish hue to bring out the reddish lip colour. Color and Light (page 156) - James Gurney Welcome all to The Art of Caesura! So I finished all the models in Warhammer Quest Silver Tower!! Wooohooo!! Now for something a bit different!  This week I'm going to do something I've never done on the blog before: write a review!! I've been wanting to write my thoughts on  Scale 75 's Flesh Paint Set for ov

"From the City of Shadows" - Arkanaut Company (Painting - Part 1)

The City of Shadows has a dubious reputation  amongst the Overlords, often labelled pirates  or worse by other duardin of their rival sky-ports. Barak Mhornar - Games Workshop Welcome back to another Friday on The Art of Caesura! Let's pick it up from last week and dive right back in to the Arkanauts. Last time we saw them they were all grey and naked. No longer!! This is going to be part one of a two-parter on the painting of these guys before we look their bases and then at the finished Company in the following weeks. I was going to try to cram it all into one post, but wow there is a lot of detail on these guys, and we're in no hurry, so best to spread it out and give it all it's due.  Barak Zilfin Colour Scheme When the Kharadron Overlords first came out I was looking at all the colour schemes and thinking "man, Barak Zilfin all the way!  I mean look at all that copper!" But over the year, my tastes have...matured and I came to really