Skip to main content

"Eensy and Weensy" - Tracking Bombers

'Cause I've done it before,
And I can do it some more,
I've got my eye on the score,
I'm gonna cut through the floor,
It's too late,
It's too soon,
Or is it
Tick tick tick tick tick tick tick...boom! 

Tick Tick Boom - The Hives


Welcome back to The Art of Caesura!

My, oh, my we have had a lot of Reichbusters content this year. In fact, I'd say it might just be the game that has enjoyed the most consecutive weeks of content on the blog thus far! Zombicide: Green Horde would be close, but I'd say Reichbusters just ekes out a win!

For those of you who prefer the variety that I usually bring to the blog, fear not. My hobby butterfly eye that I usually bring to these projects is already beginning to flit around and there are more exciting things coming soon (even though I still haven't painted the models required for the first mission of Reichbusters, and still haven't even played a game of it yet!)

Anyway, without getting ahead of ourselves, let's look at todays mini(s): the Tracking Bomber.


Y'know the Vulture's spider mines in Starcraft? Yeah, these are they. They skitter up to you and explode; nuff said...well almost. 

A fun little twist on these guys is that you can shoot them from a distance and (like the barrels in Doom or the Fatty Bursters in Zombicide) use the explosion to kill off nearby enemies!


Being predominately metal, these guys really lent themselves to spray paint! 


From a black undercoat, I sprayed them with Leadbelcher. I then painted the base coats of the bases: Snakebite Leather and Mechanicus Standard Grey.


I then coated them with AK's Dark Brown enamel wash before removing the wash on the upper edges with mineral spirits.


Once the enamels were cured, I drybrushed them with Leadbelcher and then stippled the upper edges with Stormhost Silver. Finally I washed the power cords coming out of the base of the legs with Contrast Fireslayer Flesh, just for a little diversity. 


With the metals done on all eight of them, I started in on the vril "eye" at the front. 


Coming from the narrow slit, I didn't want the OSL to bleed over on to the rest of the model, so I struggled to make it bright enough to make it stand out. I probably could have gone a little darker with the metal to up the contrast. 


As it was, I started the eye with Yriel Yellow, washed it with thinned Evil Sunz Scarlet - which I quickly removed from the centre of the eye. 


I finished by dotting the centre with Yriel Yellow and then Wraithbone. 


It was looking a little stark at this point, so I dropped in a thin coat of Carroburg Crimson to bring it back into the red spectrum. 

Let's look at a few pictures of this guy with his buddies:









I hope you enjoyed this look at these tracking bombers, I'll see you next week on The Art of Caesura!


Reading: Blackstone Fortress (novel) - Darius Hinks 
Watching: The Titan Games (netflix)


Next Week:

Sir, yes sir!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Full Stop - Oathsworn: Into the Deepwood

The monstrous Deepwood has consumed the land.  No farms or fields remain. There is only corruption, rot and the endless shadow of the twisted trees. ~ Shadowborne Games Pot's Peace, Oathsworn. Welcome to The Art of Caesura! What's all this then, TWO posts in one day!? Well yes, you see timing is of the essence here. Today marks the 200th post of The Art of Caesura , so if you haven't had a chance to check out the celebratory post, please do so !  There is also a Kickstarter ongoing at the moment, that I am getting quite excited by, but it closes on Tuesday, so if I left it till next Friday to tell you about it...it would be too late! Hence, in a world first, two hits of The Art of Caesura in one day! Now onward, into the world of Oathsworn: Into the Deepwood ! Credit: Shadowborne Games Nota bene : I am not associated with Shadowborne Games, and am just writing this because it is something that I am genuinely excited about. None of the

Warhammer 40k for Beginners - Writing an Army List

Hello again good friends of the Caesura! I am glad to report that I am feeling much better than last week, recovered from most of my COVID symptoms. Continuing from last week's post , I'm ready to tell you more about the lists that JP and I took for my first game of Warhammer 40k in over a decade and a half.  I have tried to write this post for those who know very little about playing Warhammer 40k (which was me when I started preparing for this game).  So, I knew that I wanted to keep things straightforward for my first game and that we were playing to 500 points. For those non-warhammerites, this is basically the smallest game you can play - less moving parts to keep track of.  Here is my list again, but this time I will discuss what it all means, and my thought process behind each choice: + Stratagems [-1CP] + Stratagem: Revered Repositories [-1CP] This just means that before the game I used one of my finite resources ("Command Points") to buy a very fancy weapon (

"The Skinny" - Scale 75 Flesh Paint Set Review

The complexion of a light-skinned face  divides into three zones: The forehead has a light golden colour  because it's freer of muscles and surface capillaries. The ears, cheeks and nose all lie within the central zone of the face.  Those areas have more capillaries carrying oxygenated blood near the surface, causing the reddish colour... The zone from the nose to the chin (where there are relatively more veins carrying blue deoxygenated blood) tends toward a bluish, greenish or greyish colour. Some artists accentuated this subtle bluish or greenish hue to bring out the reddish lip colour. Color and Light (page 156) - James Gurney Welcome all to The Art of Caesura! So I finished all the models in Warhammer Quest Silver Tower!! Wooohooo!! Now for something a bit different!  This week I'm going to do something I've never done on the blog before: write a review!! I've been wanting to write my thoughts on  Scale 75 's Flesh Paint Set for ov