Skip to main content

"Once More Unto the Breach!" - Sarge

The Sarge has seen it all before,
and killed most of it too.
He's the definition of a grizzled veteran.
Nothing surprises him,
and everyone looks to him for support and leadership.
If you need a Hero between you and trouble,
Sarge is your man.



Welcome one and all to the wonderful world of The Art of Caesura!

Today marks the 15th week of Reichbusters content here on the blog - almost a third of a year!

Whenever I start in on a painting project I never really know how far it's going to carry me. Sometimes I get mega excited about something, and after painting a few models feel "okay, I've scratched that itch now" only to be distracted by something else. I never force myself to paint anything in particular (probably one of the only benefits of not having a regular gaming group - that I never feel pressured to paint any one thing). That means that I can paint something for as long (or short) as it holds my interest and I'm still excited about it, then move on to something else before coming back to it weeks, months or even years later! It keeps things fresh for me and is one of the things that has made me lucky to never really experience hobby burnout. 

Reichbusters has just held my interest for an inordinate amount of time! I've already mentioned what I like about the models and theme, but I think it also had the benefit of introducing me to a whole new painting style (enamel washes), so I have really enjoyed changing things up from pure acrylics. 

Anyway, this will be my last Reichbusters post for a while, as I have begun working on another exciting game (that I've actually had boiling in the background for some time). So what better send off than painting Sarge - the thematic boss of the goodies!


When I first saw this miniature, I wasn't instantly sold on him. It was the posture that kind of threw me off; he's almost got a closed posture with his right arm in front of him. But the more I worked on him, the more I came to really love the "CHAAAAARRRGEEE!!!! pose. 


I actually base coated this guy twice. I started by painting his upper and lower body fatigues with Deathworld Forest - in the same style as Brad and Brick. Unfortunately I didn't get a picture of him at that stage. Once I had him base coated in that style I felt that he didn't really stand out enough (he is the Sarge after all) so I re-painted his jacket more in the style of the box art using Skrag Brown. 


His backpack is Steel Legion Drab, and chestnut areas started as Doombull Brown. For his machine gun and shotgun I painted them Leadbelcher and then coated them with a neat layer of Contrast Black Templar. His helmet is Castellan Green with a very gentle Leadbelcher dry-brush. 


On to the washes! All brown areas received an Agrax Earthshade wash, all green areas were washed with Athonian Camoshade and all metal areas with Nuln Oil. 


To begin the highlights, I started by highlighting each area with its original base colour.


For his pants, I then mixed in more and more Death Guard Green until I was purely using this colour. 


To highlight the various browns I just mixed S75's Pale Skin into the original colours


The metal areas were touched with Stormhost Silver. 

For his base, I covered Mechanicus Standard Grey with AK's Streaking Grime enamel wash before taking it off in patches with spirits.


I'm really happy with how Sarge turned out. Like the rest of the Reichbusters, he's full of character and had just the right level of detail and different textures to keep it interesting while still being quite quick. 

Tune in next week as we step, blinking, into the post-Reichbusters world on The Art of Caesura!


Watching: Top Chef - season 1
Reading: about bloody mortgages!


Next Week:

A pause for life...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Full Stop - Oathsworn: Into the Deepwood

The monstrous Deepwood has consumed the land.  No farms or fields remain. There is only corruption, rot and the endless shadow of the twisted trees. ~ Shadowborne Games Pot's Peace, Oathsworn. Welcome to The Art of Caesura! What's all this then, TWO posts in one day!? Well yes, you see timing is of the essence here. Today marks the 200th post of The Art of Caesura , so if you haven't had a chance to check out the celebratory post, please do so !  There is also a Kickstarter ongoing at the moment, that I am getting quite excited by, but it closes on Tuesday, so if I left it till next Friday to tell you about it...it would be too late! Hence, in a world first, two hits of The Art of Caesura in one day! Now onward, into the world of Oathsworn: Into the Deepwood ! Credit: Shadowborne Games Nota bene : I am not associated with Shadowborne Games, and am just writing this because it is something that I am genuinely excited about. None of the

"The Skinny" - Scale 75 Flesh Paint Set Review

The complexion of a light-skinned face  divides into three zones: The forehead has a light golden colour  because it's freer of muscles and surface capillaries. The ears, cheeks and nose all lie within the central zone of the face.  Those areas have more capillaries carrying oxygenated blood near the surface, causing the reddish colour... The zone from the nose to the chin (where there are relatively more veins carrying blue deoxygenated blood) tends toward a bluish, greenish or greyish colour. Some artists accentuated this subtle bluish or greenish hue to bring out the reddish lip colour. Color and Light (page 156) - James Gurney Welcome all to The Art of Caesura! So I finished all the models in Warhammer Quest Silver Tower!! Wooohooo!! Now for something a bit different!  This week I'm going to do something I've never done on the blog before: write a review!! I've been wanting to write my thoughts on  Scale 75 's Flesh Paint Set for ov

Warhammer 40k for Beginners - Writing an Army List

Hello again good friends of the Caesura! I am glad to report that I am feeling much better than last week, recovered from most of my COVID symptoms. Continuing from last week's post , I'm ready to tell you more about the lists that JP and I took for my first game of Warhammer 40k in over a decade and a half.  I have tried to write this post for those who know very little about playing Warhammer 40k (which was me when I started preparing for this game).  So, I knew that I wanted to keep things straightforward for my first game and that we were playing to 500 points. For those non-warhammerites, this is basically the smallest game you can play - less moving parts to keep track of.  Here is my list again, but this time I will discuss what it all means, and my thought process behind each choice: + Stratagems [-1CP] + Stratagem: Revered Repositories [-1CP] This just means that before the game I used one of my finite resources ("Command Points") to buy a very fancy weapon (