Skip to main content

"Traitor Scum" - Traitor Guard

A Heretic may see the truth and seek redemption. 
He may be forgiven his past and will be absolved in death. 
A Traitor can never be forgiven. 
A Traitor will never find peace in this world or the next. 
There is nothing as wretched or as hated in all the world as a Traitor.



Greetings, and welcome to The Art of Caesura!

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: I am not an army painter. Batch painting is not my jam. As a time-poor dad (soon to be father of two!) I prefer to spend my precious hobby time painting one model to a standard that I'm happy with, rather than ten similar sculpts to a...lower standard. But sometimes you're staring down the barrels of 14 Traitor Guard... 


...so, in the words of Nike, sometimes you've got to "Just Do It!"


It's funny, the reason I took a break from Reichbusters was because of the prospect of what would have been next on my painting list for that game, namely a whole ton of Nazi Soldiers. So I moved on to these guys...Nazi Soldiers...IN SPACE!!


Due to the shear number of these guys (and gals) and my uncharacteristically diligent photographing of the work-in-progress, there are quite a lot of photos today (and indeed next week), so let's launch straight in!


I used a few different strategies for these guys to try to speed things up a bit. I started by laying down all their base colours - trying to keep a limited palate to make it look like they had originally come from a unified regiment, while mixing colours of the rags to emphasize their "chaotic" nature. Limiting the palate also streamlined the painting process. 

Once it came to the shading step, I tried two different techniques to see which would be easiest / fastest. First I just shaded each component using mostly Agrax Earthshade and Nuln Oil. This is what I did for the running soldier above. In the first photo they are pre-wash and in the second photo each area has been carefully washed (blue, black and metals with Nuln Oil and reds and browns with Agrax). 

Then I tried the reductive technique with enamels that I had used for my Reichbusters, you can see it on the grenadier below:


I forgot to take a "before washes" picture, but above he has been given an all-over wash of Dark Brown enamel wash from AK Interactive. Below I have removed the wash from the prominent areas with mineral spirits. 


And just for continuity on this model, below is him pretty much finished with a few choice highlights and his base topper on. 


Perhaps unsurprisingly, the latter technique was MUCH faster and produced similar results, so I went on to do the rest of them with enamel washes. 


Another decision to be made was how to do their helmets. Above is a soldier with just the black of the primer colouring their helmet. Below I have painted it Leadbelcher.


And below again I have coated the Leadbelcher with Contrast Black Templar for a metallic black look. In retrospect it is a bit subtle for all the extra work (remember every step is multiplied by 14), and I should have either used a brighter silver underneath or just painted them matte black in the first place.



Below is the other one in the same pose for whome I used an ochre (Averland Sunset) as the secondary colour instead of red. 



I coated one model (below) with Streaking Grime to see what that would like instead of the Dark Brown.


Below is the Streaking Grime dried but before I have removed some with mineral spirits. 


Here we have some group shots of the soldiers awaiting their enamel bath.



And lastly, I have a few photos of the models once I had begun to work on some of their details and highlights. 




I used a lot of stippling for many of the highlights (see the cape above) to give a sense of a worn texture. 

Fwoosh! We did it! All fourteen of them done and looking not too shabby (well actually very shabby, but that was the point). 

For a reminder on how I'm doing my bases, you can check that out here

See you next week for a more atmospheric look at these traitors, right here on The Art of Caesura!


Reading: Jervis' send off in White Dwarf 466
Watching: Jack Ryan
Listening: West Cork Podcast (audible)


Next Week:

A darker look at the dark side...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Full Stop - Oathsworn: Into the Deepwood

The monstrous Deepwood has consumed the land.  No farms or fields remain. There is only corruption, rot and the endless shadow of the twisted trees. ~ Shadowborne Games Pot's Peace, Oathsworn. Welcome to The Art of Caesura! What's all this then, TWO posts in one day!? Well yes, you see timing is of the essence here. Today marks the 200th post of The Art of Caesura , so if you haven't had a chance to check out the celebratory post, please do so !  There is also a Kickstarter ongoing at the moment, that I am getting quite excited by, but it closes on Tuesday, so if I left it till next Friday to tell you about it...it would be too late! Hence, in a world first, two hits of The Art of Caesura in one day! Now onward, into the world of Oathsworn: Into the Deepwood ! Credit: Shadowborne Games Nota bene : I am not associated with Shadowborne Games, and am just writing this because it is something that I am genuinely excited about. None of the

"The Skinny" - Scale 75 Flesh Paint Set Review

The complexion of a light-skinned face  divides into three zones: The forehead has a light golden colour  because it's freer of muscles and surface capillaries. The ears, cheeks and nose all lie within the central zone of the face.  Those areas have more capillaries carrying oxygenated blood near the surface, causing the reddish colour... The zone from the nose to the chin (where there are relatively more veins carrying blue deoxygenated blood) tends toward a bluish, greenish or greyish colour. Some artists accentuated this subtle bluish or greenish hue to bring out the reddish lip colour. Color and Light (page 156) - James Gurney Welcome all to The Art of Caesura! So I finished all the models in Warhammer Quest Silver Tower!! Wooohooo!! Now for something a bit different!  This week I'm going to do something I've never done on the blog before: write a review!! I've been wanting to write my thoughts on  Scale 75 's Flesh Paint Set for ov

Warhammer 40k for Beginners - Writing an Army List

Hello again good friends of the Caesura! I am glad to report that I am feeling much better than last week, recovered from most of my COVID symptoms. Continuing from last week's post , I'm ready to tell you more about the lists that JP and I took for my first game of Warhammer 40k in over a decade and a half.  I have tried to write this post for those who know very little about playing Warhammer 40k (which was me when I started preparing for this game).  So, I knew that I wanted to keep things straightforward for my first game and that we were playing to 500 points. For those non-warhammerites, this is basically the smallest game you can play - less moving parts to keep track of.  Here is my list again, but this time I will discuss what it all means, and my thought process behind each choice: + Stratagems [-1CP] + Stratagem: Revered Repositories [-1CP] This just means that before the game I used one of my finite resources ("Command Points") to buy a very fancy weapon (