Skip to main content

"Denim Thief (Tyranid Genestealer)" - My First Ever Miniature

The first time someone shows you who they are,
believe them.

~ Maya Angelou

Welcome back to The Art of Caesura!

I hope you are all well and that everyone (who wanted them) received their e-mail notifications (see last week's post if you don't know what I'm talking about). 

Today is a short post, but it's one that's very special: my very first painted minature!


Regular readers will know that I was back in Victoria, B.C., Canada recently, bringing my daughters to my home town for the first time. We had a fantastic visit, and one of the things that I brought back with me was a carry case of many of my oldest miniatures. 

Now, I must give a little concession here, this isn't actually the very first model I ever painted - that honour would go to the few model aeroplanes and cars that I painted with my dad before this one, but this was my first ever Games Workshop / miniature wargame model!


I know it might sound crazy (as it was about 23 years ago - I think I was around 12 at the time), but I actually remember painting this guy! I sat down the back of the Victoria Games Workshop (which will be celebrating its 25th anniversary in the coming months!) with a couple of other noobs and one of the employees said: "paint these parts purple and these parts blue. You can do the claws if you want." End of tutorial. 


The more I look at this guy, the more impressed I am with 12-year old me! I mean I had pretty good brush control for a relative first timer - even having the gumption to paint the eyes and mouth! And where many first-models we see from other artists suffer from the "one thick coat" issue, it looks like I might have actually thinned my paints!

I will, however, fess up and say that those lighter areas on the raised surfaces certainly aren't highlights, but rather areas where the paint has worn off, showing the white undercoat. 

The last mention has to go to the Goblin Green base! Because even in the grim darkness of the far future, everyone still fought on lush hillocks. 

I think this is still the only Tyranid that I've ever painted, but if the current season of Kill Team gets the expansion that I dream of (new Primarised Terminators vs. Genestealers / Tyranids; for that real space hulk feel) then I'll definately be painting more!


Thanks for joining me on this nostalgic jaunt down memory lane. As I mentioned, I was able to find a bunch of old meaningful hobby stuff in my parents' basement, so I'll be sure to share it with you in future posts. 

If you have any memories of your first miniatures I'd love to hear them in the comments below, or better yet, drop links to pictures of them!


Reading: Life is Hard
Listening: Will You Remember Me - The Pine Box Boys


Next Week:

Rats!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Full Stop - Oathsworn: Into the Deepwood

The monstrous Deepwood has consumed the land.  No farms or fields remain. There is only corruption, rot and the endless shadow of the twisted trees. ~ Shadowborne Games Pot's Peace, Oathsworn. Welcome to The Art of Caesura! What's all this then, TWO posts in one day!? Well yes, you see timing is of the essence here. Today marks the 200th post of The Art of Caesura , so if you haven't had a chance to check out the celebratory post, please do so !  There is also a Kickstarter ongoing at the moment, that I am getting quite excited by, but it closes on Tuesday, so if I left it till next Friday to tell you about it...it would be too late! Hence, in a world first, two hits of The Art of Caesura in one day! Now onward, into the world of Oathsworn: Into the Deepwood ! Credit: Shadowborne Games Nota bene : I am not associated with Shadowborne Games, and am just writing this because it is something that I am genuinely excited about. None of the

"The Skinny" - Scale 75 Flesh Paint Set Review

The complexion of a light-skinned face  divides into three zones: The forehead has a light golden colour  because it's freer of muscles and surface capillaries. The ears, cheeks and nose all lie within the central zone of the face.  Those areas have more capillaries carrying oxygenated blood near the surface, causing the reddish colour... The zone from the nose to the chin (where there are relatively more veins carrying blue deoxygenated blood) tends toward a bluish, greenish or greyish colour. Some artists accentuated this subtle bluish or greenish hue to bring out the reddish lip colour. Color and Light (page 156) - James Gurney Welcome all to The Art of Caesura! So I finished all the models in Warhammer Quest Silver Tower!! Wooohooo!! Now for something a bit different!  This week I'm going to do something I've never done on the blog before: write a review!! I've been wanting to write my thoughts on  Scale 75 's Flesh Paint Set for ov

"From the City of Shadows" - Arkanaut Company (Painting - Part 1)

The City of Shadows has a dubious reputation  amongst the Overlords, often labelled pirates  or worse by other duardin of their rival sky-ports. Barak Mhornar - Games Workshop Welcome back to another Friday on The Art of Caesura! Let's pick it up from last week and dive right back in to the Arkanauts. Last time we saw them they were all grey and naked. No longer!! This is going to be part one of a two-parter on the painting of these guys before we look their bases and then at the finished Company in the following weeks. I was going to try to cram it all into one post, but wow there is a lot of detail on these guys, and we're in no hurry, so best to spread it out and give it all it's due.  Barak Zilfin Colour Scheme When the Kharadron Overlords first came out I was looking at all the colour schemes and thinking "man, Barak Zilfin all the way!  I mean look at all that copper!" But over the year, my tastes have...matured and I came to really