Skip to main content

Painting Oathsworn - Chapter 1 - Giant Rats - Part 1

Nobody near me here but rats, 
and they are fine stealthy secret fellows.

Charles Dickens, The Old Curiosity Shop


Greetings Oathsworn! Welcome to The Art of Caesura!

I hope you all have a very happy Hallowe'en! If you're up for a bit of Hallowe'en fun, you can try out the Hallowe'en pub quiz I created a few years ago: here

And welcome, indeed, to my first Oathsworn painting post. I have had a few other posts on Oathsworn: Into the Deepwood - including my short story submission, a summary of the game and lore, and most recently, the game's arrival - but this is the first one on painting these awesome miniatures. 

A quick note before we begin, Oathsworn is full of secrets and mysteries. The models that I'm painting today are the first enemies you face in the game and are not considered spoilers. 

So, on we go to the Giant Rats!


My plan for these guys was to get them painted to a standard that I was happy with, while devoting the minimum possible amount of time to them. For more on this philosophy, check out this post. It's not that I didn't want to paint them, but rather, with so many cool models in this game, my priority was getting them done so I can get playing, rather than getting them perfect. That said, I'm really happy with how they turned out, and proud of the fact that I got all 12 giant rats (as well as the big mass of rats on the back of the Broodmother) painted in under 4 hours - bases and all!


Using a rattel can, I started by spraying them all black. Then sprayed them grey from above (zenithal). 


Then, I used an airbrush (the only thing I can really do with an airbrush) and sprayed them white (Liquitex Acrylic Ink) on just their faces, and the ridge along their back. 


Now I had my value sketch. Here's a post all about value sketching


Over this value sketch, I started using transluscent paints. Before painting all 12, I did a colour test on two: one Contrast Skeleton Horde and the other Snakebite Leather.



I opted for the lighter Skeleton Horde, and didn't bother repainting the Snakebite Leather one. I then used Fyreslayer Flesh for their tails and feet. Using a large brush, these steps took less than one minute per rat. 


Now it was time to gritty them up a little. I painted Streaking Grime all over each one...



...and then removed most of it with mineral spirits and q-tips (in retrospect, for organic surfaces like this, it would have been much faster just to use dry make-up sponges. 



I decided that I wasn't quite happy with their tails. I tried one darker - painting it S75 Indian Shadow...


And another lighter (S75 Pink Flesh) 


I liked the lighter one better, but wanted more texture, so on the other rats, I painted the Pink Flesh in streaky lines over the Fyreslayer undercoat. 


Now I was on the home stretch, and on to highlights. I used S75 Light Skin on the most prominant areas of the face and ears. 



I must admit, that even at the time, while I was highlighting their faces, I was thinking "what the hell am I doing?" This step was a bit time-intensive, and it didn't add a huge amount, so if I was doing them again, I might skip this step - or do a simple light drybrush over the faces. 

Something I wouldn't skip though, is the next step - the little beedy rat eyes!


Using Evil Sunz Scarlet and Yriel Yellow, I carefully dotted each and every eye!


With the eyes complete the rats themselves were just about done. So <SNAP!> I did the bases. Okay, okay, the bases were easy, but not quite as easy as that. I'll devote a post to how I'm doing my Oathsworn bases next week. 


The final detail was to change the finish of some parts. The S75 flesh range turn out super matte when dry, but I wanted their tails to look a bit...damper. So I covered their tails with Stormshield (which gives a satin finish). 


I dabbed some gloss varnish in to their mouths - yummy!



And the last thing to do was paint the base rims!



Boom! Done!


I hope you enjoyed this look at my quick and dirty painting of the giant rats. Kudos if you can spot the one that started out with Snakebite Leather in the picture above!

I'll see you next Friday for more Oathsworn!


Reading: Paradise Lost - John Milton
Listening: Zimushka - Arkona


Next Week:

The forest floor...

Comments

Post a Comment

Tell me all...

Popular posts from this blog

The Full Stop - Oathsworn: Into the Deepwood

The monstrous Deepwood has consumed the land.  No farms or fields remain. There is only corruption, rot and the endless shadow of the twisted trees. ~ Shadowborne Games Pot's Peace, Oathsworn. Welcome to The Art of Caesura! What's all this then, TWO posts in one day!? Well yes, you see timing is of the essence here. Today marks the 200th post of The Art of Caesura , so if you haven't had a chance to check out the celebratory post, please do so !  There is also a Kickstarter ongoing at the moment, that I am getting quite excited by, but it closes on Tuesday, so if I left it till next Friday to tell you about it...it would be too late! Hence, in a world first, two hits of The Art of Caesura in one day! Now onward, into the world of Oathsworn: Into the Deepwood ! Credit: Shadowborne Games Nota bene : I am not associated with Shadowborne Games, and am just writing this because it is something that I am genuinely excited about. None of the

"The Skinny" - Scale 75 Flesh Paint Set Review

The complexion of a light-skinned face  divides into three zones: The forehead has a light golden colour  because it's freer of muscles and surface capillaries. The ears, cheeks and nose all lie within the central zone of the face.  Those areas have more capillaries carrying oxygenated blood near the surface, causing the reddish colour... The zone from the nose to the chin (where there are relatively more veins carrying blue deoxygenated blood) tends toward a bluish, greenish or greyish colour. Some artists accentuated this subtle bluish or greenish hue to bring out the reddish lip colour. Color and Light (page 156) - James Gurney Welcome all to The Art of Caesura! So I finished all the models in Warhammer Quest Silver Tower!! Wooohooo!! Now for something a bit different!  This week I'm going to do something I've never done on the blog before: write a review!! I've been wanting to write my thoughts on  Scale 75 's Flesh Paint Set for ov

Citadel COLOUR Contrast Paints First Impressions / Review

Hello and welcome to a special edition of The Art of Caesura! I've just returned from Warhammer Fest 2019 (and what a brilliant time it was!) Without a doubt, the big reveal of the festival was the new Contrast Paints that Games Workshop are touting.  They have seriously been marketing the bejesus out of these things, whether it be the three hilarious teaser videos in recent months: Leading up to today's reveal trailer: Or the heavy branding throughout today's swag bag and arena: Including half of an entire floor devoted to display cases of miniatures painted entirely with the new Contrast Paints - and, more excitingly, demo pods where we could give them a spin ourselves! But, I'm getting ahead of myself. I attended a seminar on the science behind the new Contrast Paints and between that and what I saw (and experienced) today, I'd like to share as much of it with you as possible. At the moment information i