Skip to main content

Happy New Year - 2024!


Hello one and all and welcome to this special New Years Eve-Eve-Eve post on The Art of Caesura!

Regulars 'round these parts know that I save all the schmultzy New Yearsy stuff for the blog's birthday in a few weeks' time, so today we get to revel in hobby past, present and future. 


Airbrush


Last year at this time I had just got an air compressor for my crappy "Wish" airbrush. I threatened, at that point, to get a 'proper' airbrush later in the year, and two weeks ago I did! 


I will devote a whole post to talking about this bad boy (Harder and Steenbeck's new Ultra 2024) once I've had a bit more experience with it but so far I'm in love! I have always said that I don't adore the look of overly airbrushed minis (when they're too smooth and lacking any texture) so don't worry, that's not in my future. I am happy to use it to quickly apply smooth and interesting basecoat blends, as well as some special effects (Object Source Lighting and the like). 


Marvel Zombicide


Man, CMoN run their Kickstarter campaigns like a military operation. Say what you will about them (and of course no company is perfect) but when you back a CMoN campaign, you know what you're getting - loads and loads of plastic! And their quality has continued to improve - for preassembled PVC minis, the ones in this game are DYNAMITE! I think the large muscle volumes will really lend themselves to airbrushing and the vibrancy of Contrast Paints. I have already played a few games of both Zombie and Hero mode, as well as adding in some of the gang from The Sinister Six - it's a blast!


Dungeon Saga Origins


This was a weird one for me. It seems like most people who backed this game did so out of a sense of nostalgia for the old Dungeon Sagas. I never played any of the old Dungeon Saga games - It looks like a fairly generic dungeon crawler, but it was marketed as being very accessible and family friendly. Even with no history with this game, I trust Mantic (loved their Hellboy game), and I think I was feeling overly sentimental when this campaign came out - imagining playing it with my daughters in a few years. In fact, we have already played with it! My 4-year old and I got all the furniture out and played princesses. Money well spent. 



These are just some of the newer hobby things to enter my life. I am still plugging away at my Black Templars, and then there is: Descent (which I have finally started to paint), Oathsworn (keep your eyes peeled...), and all my Gallowdark terrain that I really want to get to. My pile of potential doth overfloweth!

I hope you have many exciting hobby ventures planned for this year - let us know in the comments below, and feel free to link your blogs / Youtube channels / other sosh meeds. 

See you in 2024!


Gaming: Warhammer 40 000: Rogue Trader


Next Week:

Come away, O, human child...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Full Stop - Oathsworn: Into the Deepwood

The monstrous Deepwood has consumed the land.  No farms or fields remain. There is only corruption, rot and the endless shadow of the twisted trees. ~ Shadowborne Games Pot's Peace, Oathsworn. Welcome to The Art of Caesura! What's all this then, TWO posts in one day!? Well yes, you see timing is of the essence here. Today marks the 200th post of The Art of Caesura , so if you haven't had a chance to check out the celebratory post, please do so !  There is also a Kickstarter ongoing at the moment, that I am getting quite excited by, but it closes on Tuesday, so if I left it till next Friday to tell you about it...it would be too late! Hence, in a world first, two hits of The Art of Caesura in one day! Now onward, into the world of Oathsworn: Into the Deepwood ! Credit: Shadowborne Games Nota bene : I am not associated with Shadowborne Games, and am just writing this because it is something that I am genuinely excited about. None of the

"The Skinny" - Scale 75 Flesh Paint Set Review

The complexion of a light-skinned face  divides into three zones: The forehead has a light golden colour  because it's freer of muscles and surface capillaries. The ears, cheeks and nose all lie within the central zone of the face.  Those areas have more capillaries carrying oxygenated blood near the surface, causing the reddish colour... The zone from the nose to the chin (where there are relatively more veins carrying blue deoxygenated blood) tends toward a bluish, greenish or greyish colour. Some artists accentuated this subtle bluish or greenish hue to bring out the reddish lip colour. Color and Light (page 156) - James Gurney Welcome all to The Art of Caesura! So I finished all the models in Warhammer Quest Silver Tower!! Wooohooo!! Now for something a bit different!  This week I'm going to do something I've never done on the blog before: write a review!! I've been wanting to write my thoughts on  Scale 75 's Flesh Paint Set for ov

"From the City of Shadows" - Arkanaut Company (Painting - Part 1)

The City of Shadows has a dubious reputation  amongst the Overlords, often labelled pirates  or worse by other duardin of their rival sky-ports. Barak Mhornar - Games Workshop Welcome back to another Friday on The Art of Caesura! Let's pick it up from last week and dive right back in to the Arkanauts. Last time we saw them they were all grey and naked. No longer!! This is going to be part one of a two-parter on the painting of these guys before we look their bases and then at the finished Company in the following weeks. I was going to try to cram it all into one post, but wow there is a lot of detail on these guys, and we're in no hurry, so best to spread it out and give it all it's due.  Barak Zilfin Colour Scheme When the Kharadron Overlords first came out I was looking at all the colour schemes and thinking "man, Barak Zilfin all the way!  I mean look at all that copper!" But over the year, my tastes have...matured and I came to really