Skip to main content

"Miserable Misanthrope" - Herald of Beelzebub - Part 2

Heralds wield discarded weapons, 
contaminated with horrible worms that churn through them, 
which in turn infect their victims. 
Each diseased bullet has sentience of its own, 
finding even the smallest chink in any armour, 
burrowing into the nervous system 
and liquefying the internal organs from within.


Welcome back, one and all, to The Art of Caesura!

This week we're looking at the finished pictures of last week's Herald of Beelzebub. A quick note on the photos: I had already taken and edited all of them before I had a chance to complete and attach the sculpted base, so rather than just scrap all of the previous photos that I had taken, I just took more once I'd added the base and chucked those into this post too! 



I know that I said the Grail Hounds from a couple of weeks ago were among the fastest models in the game, well this guy right here is the fastest model in the game. He has 10" base movement and the fly keyword, meaning he can basically ignore intervening terrain. 



I must admit, I think I'm going to have a really difficult time fielding him correctly. He's not allowed to take any armour or shields so he's going to be really squishy. 


Exacerbating his lack of survivability, is the fact that all of his ranged options are super short range. So he basically has to fly all the way up the board to lay the hurt on the enemy. 


The internet and I seem to be in agreement that the best options for kitting him out are either with the Putrid Shotgun (12" range, but damage falls off after 6" and causes Infection Markers) and the Compound Eye Helmet to make him better at ranged attacks...


Or the option that I'm opting for. For the same price a Corruption Belcher which is an 8" flamethrower with the gas keyword instead of fire. The pros of this are that it has slightly greater effective range, hits automatically and - most crucially - is the only weapon in my whole warband that ignores armour. The major drawback is that it doesn't cause Infection Markers (as the Putrid Shotgun does). I see this as quite a major drawback because the whole mechanic of the warband is to spread infection and use those infection markers to debilitate more powerful units in order to hit above their weight. 


So it's a choice between more fast-moving infection carriers (for which I already have my two hounds) or a unique anti-armour piece. Anyway, that's why I went with the Corruption Belcher, we'll see how that works out - in my first game, which (at time of writing) is tomorrow!


As I said, both guns have very short range, so he's going to have to really put himself into harm's way to have any utility. It seems like the play will be to hide him behind cover near a well armoured enemy (not the easiest thing, because he's a beefy bug boy), move him out of cover to fire, then dash him back behind cover and pray to Beelzebub that he passes his 50-50 chance dash roll otherwise he'll be left out in the open in front of one of the enemy's better units and ingloriously squashed. 


Obviously, having a musician within 4" would really improve his chances of succeeding in this dash roll, but unfortunately my only musical instrument is going to be carried by my Lord of Tumors, and he'll be sauntering up the board in his own good time, sadly well out of range to "toot toot" this guy back into cover. 


Anyway, "no plan survives contact with the enemy" and all that, but if you have any tips, please feel free to write them below. In the meantime, let's have a look at what this guy looks like on his proper base now - see, I told you the Green Stuff would blend in once I'd painted it!




Even though I feel I lack the tactical acumen to have this guy ever earn his points back, I kind of already want another one in my warband! I already have my eye on the version by Creature Caster, but that is for another time...hopefully!




Thank you, as always for tuning in! I'll see you all next Friday on The Art of Caesura!


Watching: Silo (season 1)
Reading: Nothing Has Happened to You - Rory Say 


Next Week:

Game time!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Full Stop - Trench Crusade

The skies shall darken, the ground shall open up and the screams of the damned shall echo through the ages. - Novae Revelationes 99:24, Trench Crusade Greetings friends of the Caesura, and welcome back to your Friday dose of The Art of Caesura! I hope you are well, and I'm sending loads of positive vibes your way, especially if you need them today (and you will after reading of the awesome Grimdark horrors ahead).   Last week we left off looking at my plans and aspirations for Hive Fleet Klendathu, and today I had planned to show you the test model that I have painted for this Starship Troopers-inspired Tyranid force. However, something cool is afoot, and it's kind of time-sensitive... That's right - there's a Kickstarter (which has now raised over 2 million dollars!) for a very Grimdark miniatures skirmish game and it is due to end on Tuesday, so I decided to reschedule things on the blog a little to draw your attention to this before you miss your chance.  I am talki...

"Righteous Crusaders" - New Black Templars Stuff and Strategies

 "Accept any challenge no matter the odds!" Black Templars Codex Hello and welcome back to The Art of Caesura! I'm sending loads of positivity your way, especially if you need it today! Today we're changing gears a bit. I had meant for this post to come out last week, but that was before I had realized that I had neglected the poor Emberling .  So a few weeks ago now at this point, my beloved Black Templars (the army that I have played since 3rd edition of Warhammer 40k - which is now in its 10th edition!) received a revamp! New codex (which brought all new rules, new points, new style of play), new models, new dice, new Combat Patrol .  For someone like me, who historically has only got a game in every 6 months or so (that's about to change - tune back in next week!) and who has many (MANY) other hobby interests, the new rules are very exciting but also met with some trepidation of investing the time to relearn everything.  Well, I have started investing the time...

The Full Stop - A Deep Dive into Warhammer 40k Combat Patrol

Welcome to Combat Patrol!  Whether you are a new recruit to Warhammer 40,000  or a seasoned veteran,  Combat Patrol is all about getting your forces  into action as quickly as possible. - Combat Patrol Rules - Games Workshop Welcome back to the Art of Caesura! Recent readers will see that we've been looking at our fun little Warhammer gathering, KillCon over the past few weeks. Two weeks ago I provided a narrative verion of my game of Combat Patrol of my Black Templars vs. Tristan's Tyranids where as l ast week I gave a more "gamer oriented" play-by-play of the game.  Today I want to dive deeper into this accessible and engaging game-type. I want to argue that Combat Patrol is not just for beginners. Combat Patrol in 10th Edition is Games Workshop's new smallest scale Warhammer 40k game type. But unlike in previous editions, where it just meant that both sides took 500 point armies and went at it, in this edition, Games Workshop has changed things up a litt...