Skip to main content

Let it Beer






Welcome back to another taste of The Art of Caesura!







I hope the week hasn’t been too hectic, and that you have a great weekend lined up!

Last time I plied you with some of my favourite beers from the west coasts of two small Islands, this week I’d like to show you my recent U-brew efforts. For the past month I’ve been brewing a craft beer from the Mangrove Jack’s line called LordFinster (a dark English bitter-style ale). I just had my bottling day a few days ago, but let me get you up to speed on what I’ve been up to in the background for about the length of time this blog has been running.


Here is my set-up. My fiancée got me a robust plastic bucket fermenter with all the fixin’s (water seal, siphons, bottle brush, bottle caps, bottle cap capper, filling wand, hydrometer, thermometer…not to mention the actual kit with the liquid malt extract (LME), dry hops and yeast). I know, she’s a keeper!





After five days of fermentation with just the LME, glucose (I couldn’t get my hands on dextrose) and yeast I added the dry hops in a hop bag (sanitised up the wazoo). This specific yeast said to ferment for a further five days, but I ended up going for almost double that because my specific gravity was still a tad too high and my seal was still bubbling away – there was much pacing in anticipation. It was at this stage that I needed to prep the bottles. 

Unfortunately, I only had 22 x 500mL bottles, and with a magnificent 23L of beer, I was going to need to use a ton of 330mL bottles (which I was a bit loathe to do). The rest of the beer making process was great craic, but prepping the bottles was not.


In Ireland we don’t have the coveted “Oxyclean,” often lauded by North American homebrewers as the easiest thing to use to clean and strip bottles. After some thorough forum searches, it seemed that peopled used “Vanish” fabric stain remover as an alternative.



After soaking for a few hours in warm water with “Vanish” some of the labels flew straight off (in fact some were gloriously floating on top of the water (I found that many of the British ales (Wychwood Brewery, and the aforementioned Crean’s were great for this) others were crazy difficult to get the old labels off (I’m looking at you, Crabbies Ginger Beer, and Kings of Tara) requiring a dough knife, wire brush and butt loads of elbow grease.

Then I let the bottles soak in cold water overnight to get rid of any “Vanish” residue before sanitising them. Then I did it all over again three more times! It was a hell of a process, but when they were done they looked damn fine.


bottle wandbottling wand, siphon

priming sugar


Bottling went really smoothly and after adding ½ a teaspoon of glucose to each 500mL bottle and just over ¼ teaspoon to each 330mL bottle to prime them for carbonation, I filled and capped them.

Apparently this beer needs to bottle condition, so I’ll leave it in a warm place for two weeks and then a cool place for a further two weeks. In a few weeks’ time I’ll have another post on the tasting! I’m looking forward to that one.


Thanks all for reading, I hope you can get behind the eclectic nature of this blog. If you would like more detail on any aspect of this home-brewing process or if you just want to talk beer, just let me know and I’ll be more than happy!


Listening: Yuppie Dracula – Smokey Bastard
Drinking: King Puck – Crafty Divils Brewing Co., Killorglin, Ireland
Reading: Slainte – The Complete Guide to Irish Craft Beer and Cider – Caroline                 Hennessy and Kristen Jensen


Next Week:

I’ve been sneakily continuing to paint the little dudes for The World of Smog these past two weeks while our focus has been on beer. I’ll show you what I’ve been up to…next time. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Full Stop - Oathsworn: Into the Deepwood

The monstrous Deepwood has consumed the land.  No farms or fields remain. There is only corruption, rot and the endless shadow of the twisted trees. ~ Shadowborne Games Pot's Peace, Oathsworn. Welcome to The Art of Caesura! What's all this then, TWO posts in one day!? Well yes, you see timing is of the essence here. Today marks the 200th post of The Art of Caesura , so if you haven't had a chance to check out the celebratory post, please do so !  There is also a Kickstarter ongoing at the moment, that I am getting quite excited by, but it closes on Tuesday, so if I left it till next Friday to tell you about it...it would be too late! Hence, in a world first, two hits of The Art of Caesura in one day! Now onward, into the world of Oathsworn: Into the Deepwood ! Credit: Shadowborne Games Nota bene : I am not associated with Shadowborne Games, and am just writing this because it is something that I am genuinely excited about. None of the

"The Skinny" - Scale 75 Flesh Paint Set Review

The complexion of a light-skinned face  divides into three zones: The forehead has a light golden colour  because it's freer of muscles and surface capillaries. The ears, cheeks and nose all lie within the central zone of the face.  Those areas have more capillaries carrying oxygenated blood near the surface, causing the reddish colour... The zone from the nose to the chin (where there are relatively more veins carrying blue deoxygenated blood) tends toward a bluish, greenish or greyish colour. Some artists accentuated this subtle bluish or greenish hue to bring out the reddish lip colour. Color and Light (page 156) - James Gurney Welcome all to The Art of Caesura! So I finished all the models in Warhammer Quest Silver Tower!! Wooohooo!! Now for something a bit different!  This week I'm going to do something I've never done on the blog before: write a review!! I've been wanting to write my thoughts on  Scale 75 's Flesh Paint Set for ov

"From the City of Shadows" - Arkanaut Company (Painting - Part 1)

The City of Shadows has a dubious reputation  amongst the Overlords, often labelled pirates  or worse by other duardin of their rival sky-ports. Barak Mhornar - Games Workshop Welcome back to another Friday on The Art of Caesura! Let's pick it up from last week and dive right back in to the Arkanauts. Last time we saw them they were all grey and naked. No longer!! This is going to be part one of a two-parter on the painting of these guys before we look their bases and then at the finished Company in the following weeks. I was going to try to cram it all into one post, but wow there is a lot of detail on these guys, and we're in no hurry, so best to spread it out and give it all it's due.  Barak Zilfin Colour Scheme When the Kharadron Overlords first came out I was looking at all the colour schemes and thinking "man, Barak Zilfin all the way!  I mean look at all that copper!" But over the year, my tastes have...matured and I came to really