Skip to main content

"Under the Horse-Head Mask" - Lost Boy


Well here we come,
Innocent Friends
to ask leave
to ask leave
to ask leave to sing...

A common opening to the pwngco


Well here we go! Thanks for finding your way back to The Art of Caesura!

I hope you used the weekend to sample many lovely brews!

For those of you who have been here since the beginning, you’ll know that this blog kind of came out of making some New Year resolutions. I’ve been sharing with you the weekly miniatures that I have been completing, and over the past two weeks have described elements of my third resolution. In the future I’d like to be able to include you (via this blog) in my other happy hobbies like guitar, hiking, and SCUBA. But this week I’m looking forward to showing you the model that I’ve been working on…back to The World of Smog!

The Lost Boy


“Some have claimed that [The Lost Boy] is the fruit of the forbidden love between an important Member of Parliament and a soothsayer of the Wheel, taken at his birth by agents of the Cult to blackmail his illustrious father. Others have whispered how those necromancers, facing the tenacity of the nobleman, made the equestrian scarecrow to frighten his mother. Whatever the truth, all those spreading such rumours have disappeared. Nobody claims to know how the Black Pharaoh compelled the Shadow Master to become the guardian of this innocent victim of a power struggle among London’s secret organizations…”

                The World of Smog: On Her Majesty’s Service

Steam Punk, World of Smog

When I first looked into backing this game on Kickstarter, The Lost Boy was one of the minis that really caught my attention. He’s a little boy in a sailor outfit with a horse skull for a head! And when you look at the artwork in the rule book, you can see that he’s actually riding a sort of maypole with his own human head skewered on the end of it! I've since realized that he might have been modeled after the Mari Lwyd tradition from Wales, which you can check out by clicking the link under the verse at the top of the page. 

Steam Punk, World of Smog

Steam Punk, World of Smog

Steam Punk, World of Smog

One of the challenges here, was that I wanted to paint the sailor outfit white but, with the white of the skull I still wanted there to be some tonal diversity. I didn’t want the whole thing to be too light which might take away from the model’s ‘macabreness’. My solution to this was firstly to work up from a black basecoat (yes, many many thin layers of white!) and to not highlight the skull as much as, perhaps, I usually would.

Steam Punk, World of Smog
As usual, here’s the recipe-guide:

Jerkin: literally just mixing more and more Scar White into the Chaos Black base coat. The layering didn’t show up so well in the photos, but I swear it’s there!
Skull: Doombull basecoat over black undercoat, mixed with increasing amounts of Ushabti Bone. The recesses got a spot wash of heavily watered down Gryphonne Sepia. The last few layers were back to Bone, mixed with Scar White and dry brushed sparingly to hopefully give the impression of dried bone. Let me know what you think.
Trim: Altdorf Guard Blue mixed with Chaos Black and Steel Legion Drab.
Eyes: I’ve seen other people paint them like real eyes, but they looked a little “googly” and cartoony for me, so I kept them black and gave them a gloss varnish for added creepiness.

Steam Punk, World of Smog

I’ve got to say, I really like this guy! Looking at the photos closely though, I think I could go a bit lighter with the teeth. Maybe work up to a smoother white and hit it with a bit of a yellow wash to replicate stained enamel. Anyway please let me know what you think.

Having come from painting ranks and ranks of Orcs from Warhammer Fantasy, these minis are really delightful! Each one is so full of character and they are just the right size to finish in about a sitting and a half.

Anyway guys and girls, that’s it for this week on The Art of Caesura.


Listening: Please Mr. Kennedy – Inside Llewyn Davis Soundtrack
Drinking: Doom Bar – Sharp’s Brewery, Rock, Cornwall
Gaming: Marvel Contest of Champions - Kabam, 2014
Excited for: Vox VT 20+ Guitar Amp (just ordered this bad boy for a nice little practice amp)


Next Week:

A very important miniature from The World of Smog…

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Full Stop - Oathsworn: Into the Deepwood

The monstrous Deepwood has consumed the land.  No farms or fields remain. There is only corruption, rot and the endless shadow of the twisted trees. ~ Shadowborne Games Pot's Peace, Oathsworn. Welcome to The Art of Caesura! What's all this then, TWO posts in one day!? Well yes, you see timing is of the essence here. Today marks the 200th post of The Art of Caesura , so if you haven't had a chance to check out the celebratory post, please do so !  There is also a Kickstarter ongoing at the moment, that I am getting quite excited by, but it closes on Tuesday, so if I left it till next Friday to tell you about it...it would be too late! Hence, in a world first, two hits of The Art of Caesura in one day! Now onward, into the world of Oathsworn: Into the Deepwood ! Credit: Shadowborne Games Nota bene : I am not associated with Shadowborne Games, and am just writing this because it is something that I am genuinely excited about. None of the

"The Skinny" - Scale 75 Flesh Paint Set Review

The complexion of a light-skinned face  divides into three zones: The forehead has a light golden colour  because it's freer of muscles and surface capillaries. The ears, cheeks and nose all lie within the central zone of the face.  Those areas have more capillaries carrying oxygenated blood near the surface, causing the reddish colour... The zone from the nose to the chin (where there are relatively more veins carrying blue deoxygenated blood) tends toward a bluish, greenish or greyish colour. Some artists accentuated this subtle bluish or greenish hue to bring out the reddish lip colour. Color and Light (page 156) - James Gurney Welcome all to The Art of Caesura! So I finished all the models in Warhammer Quest Silver Tower!! Wooohooo!! Now for something a bit different!  This week I'm going to do something I've never done on the blog before: write a review!! I've been wanting to write my thoughts on  Scale 75 's Flesh Paint Set for ov

"From the City of Shadows" - Arkanaut Company (Painting - Part 1)

The City of Shadows has a dubious reputation  amongst the Overlords, often labelled pirates  or worse by other duardin of their rival sky-ports. Barak Mhornar - Games Workshop Welcome back to another Friday on The Art of Caesura! Let's pick it up from last week and dive right back in to the Arkanauts. Last time we saw them they were all grey and naked. No longer!! This is going to be part one of a two-parter on the painting of these guys before we look their bases and then at the finished Company in the following weeks. I was going to try to cram it all into one post, but wow there is a lot of detail on these guys, and we're in no hurry, so best to spread it out and give it all it's due.  Barak Zilfin Colour Scheme When the Kharadron Overlords first came out I was looking at all the colour schemes and thinking "man, Barak Zilfin all the way!  I mean look at all that copper!" But over the year, my tastes have...matured and I came to really