Skip to main content

"Such Sweet Thunder" - Grundstok Thunderers (aethershot rifles)

Circa Regna tonat 
- It thunders around the realm

- Sir Thomas Wyatt


Welcome all to the next installment of The Art of Caesura!

This week we're heading back to the Mortal Realms (or above them as the case may be) to look at the next unit that I have completed for my slowly growing Kharadron Overlords army: Grundstok Thunderers! 

Kharadron Overlords

These 5 are all equipped with aethershot rifles, but if you stay tuned next week, you may just see some special weapons cropping up! I was originally going to magnitise all of them (their shoulder joints are certainly chunky enough) but the aether-cord that attaches their aether rifles to their aether-backpacks made this idea a bit aether-awkward. If I decide to magnetize some in the future, I would probably have to clip this cord off first.

Kharadron Overlords

There are a few big differences between these guys and the Arkanauts that I painted previously: firstly these Thunderers are on 32mm bases which left more room for bigger stones on their bigger bases!



Kharadron Overlords

The next big difference is that these guys have a lot more armour-plating, meaning a lot less of their canvas-coloured undersuit shows. From an aesthetic point of view I actually prefer the greater colour variation on the Arkanauts, but tried to liven up the armour by bringing the highlights right up to Gauss Blaster Green.

Kharadron Overlords

I love the gunnery sergeant's "aether peg-leg" and his Drillbill (the mechanical parrot on his shoulder) is a stroke of genius!

Kharadron Overlords

I painted the sergeant's helmet the lighter bone colour, and stuck him to the largest rock to make him stand out further. 

Kharadron Overlords

Lets take a few minutes to look at each of these guys individually: I think the easiest way to differentiate them is by the little doodads on the top of their backpacks.

Kharadron Overlords

As you can see, the guy above has a vent-thing, while the one below has a whirling weatherometer (windspeed gauge thingy). When you begin to examine them more closely, you notice that all of their heads are unique, as are their torsos (the guy above is buckled in with leather straps, while the one below has metal fasteners). It is these kinds of details that I only notice when I am building and painting a model, and one of the things I relish in!

Kharadron Overlords

In general I really like how they each have one targeting lens eye which can represent a pirate's eye-patch. I also really like the pose of these guys with their underslung massive hand cannons!

Kharadron Overlords

From the side, you get a better view of the small "flintlock" mechanism that I painted with Gauss Blaster shaded with Drakenhoff and highlighted with Gauss Blaster again. 

Kharadron Overlords

I won't go through my whole painting process and base-building process again, because I have devoted previous articles to them here and here, respectively. 

Kharadron Overlords

For the Honor Bearer's...uh...honour, I mixed a grey from black and white, shaded it with Drakenhoff and drybrushed it back up adding more white. I painted the rune in the centre (Liberator) gold instead of the (Screaming Bell) copper that I used for their other metallics. I don't usually mix metallics like this on single model, because I think it can clash and look gaudy, but here I think it fit because it was meant to represent a valuable relic that they have carried with them from some ancient mountain hold, and so the metal rune was not made at the same time (or out of the same stuff) as the rest of their kit. 

Kharadron Overlords

I finished them by, you guessed it, picking out every single rivet with Runefang Steel. Whew, I didn't realize these were such detailed little buggers when I started them!

Kharadron Overlords

So that's some much-needed firepower added to my burgeoning Sky Fleet! Tune in next week for more on The Art of Caesura!


Gaming: MTG Arena
Listening: Revolver Express
Watching: Russian Doll


Next Week:

They're special...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Full Stop - Oathsworn: Into the Deepwood

The monstrous Deepwood has consumed the land.  No farms or fields remain. There is only corruption, rot and the endless shadow of the twisted trees. ~ Shadowborne Games Pot's Peace, Oathsworn. Welcome to The Art of Caesura! What's all this then, TWO posts in one day!? Well yes, you see timing is of the essence here. Today marks the 200th post of The Art of Caesura , so if you haven't had a chance to check out the celebratory post, please do so !  There is also a Kickstarter ongoing at the moment, that I am getting quite excited by, but it closes on Tuesday, so if I left it till next Friday to tell you about it...it would be too late! Hence, in a world first, two hits of The Art of Caesura in one day! Now onward, into the world of Oathsworn: Into the Deepwood ! Credit: Shadowborne Games Nota bene : I am not associated with Shadowborne Games, and am just writing this because it is something that I am genuinely excited about. None of the

"The Skinny" - Scale 75 Flesh Paint Set Review

The complexion of a light-skinned face  divides into three zones: The forehead has a light golden colour  because it's freer of muscles and surface capillaries. The ears, cheeks and nose all lie within the central zone of the face.  Those areas have more capillaries carrying oxygenated blood near the surface, causing the reddish colour... The zone from the nose to the chin (where there are relatively more veins carrying blue deoxygenated blood) tends toward a bluish, greenish or greyish colour. Some artists accentuated this subtle bluish or greenish hue to bring out the reddish lip colour. Color and Light (page 156) - James Gurney Welcome all to The Art of Caesura! So I finished all the models in Warhammer Quest Silver Tower!! Wooohooo!! Now for something a bit different!  This week I'm going to do something I've never done on the blog before: write a review!! I've been wanting to write my thoughts on  Scale 75 's Flesh Paint Set for ov

"From the City of Shadows" - Arkanaut Company (Painting - Part 1)

The City of Shadows has a dubious reputation  amongst the Overlords, often labelled pirates  or worse by other duardin of their rival sky-ports. Barak Mhornar - Games Workshop Welcome back to another Friday on The Art of Caesura! Let's pick it up from last week and dive right back in to the Arkanauts. Last time we saw them they were all grey and naked. No longer!! This is going to be part one of a two-parter on the painting of these guys before we look their bases and then at the finished Company in the following weeks. I was going to try to cram it all into one post, but wow there is a lot of detail on these guys, and we're in no hurry, so best to spread it out and give it all it's due.  Barak Zilfin Colour Scheme When the Kharadron Overlords first came out I was looking at all the colour schemes and thinking "man, Barak Zilfin all the way!  I mean look at all that copper!" But over the year, my tastes have...matured and I came to really