Skip to main content

"Guardian of a Glittering Prize" - Vault Warden

...The towering Vault Warden is very likely 
to tear you limb from limb, 
and the chances of you killing 
this horned beast are almost nil. 
But this Abomination has access to secret vaults, 
and it often finds priceless weapons in them...



Hello one and all, and welcome back to another Friday on The Art of Caesura!

I hope you all had a great Canada Day yesterday, and are still drunk on maple syrup!

Last week we looked at one of Zombicide: Green Horde's dreaded necromancers, and this week we're peering into the gloom to see one of the game's scariest enemies: The Vault Warden.

Zombicide: Green Horde

In this game, when drawing a card to bring new enemies on to the board, there is always a chance that you might bring in an Abomination. These enemies are absolutely brutal. Not only can they kill your guys with one hit (ignoring armour!) but the normal weapons that you start with can't even hurt these monsters! Better hope your aim with the trebuchet is good...

Zombicide: Green Horde

The base game comes with one of them, but loads of the Kickstarter exclusives were different flavours of abomination that you can sub in to make things more interesting. The Abominabunny that I previously painted, and today's feature - The Vault Warden - are two such exclusives. 

Zombicide: Green Horde

The Vault Warden is probably the "kindest" of the Abominations because, while he follows the universal rules for Abominations, he also has a special rule: when you kill him you get a vault weapon - one of 10 or so best weapons in the game!

Zombicide: Green Horde

I fell in love with this model when I first clapped eyes on him on the Kickstarter page. I would even say that he is probably my favorite enemy model in Zombicide: Green Horde! He's just got such a great, creepy hunched Minotaur posture, with a weird skeletal head and hulking muscles. I'm not totally in love with the Zombicide aesthetic for the larger monsters, where they have big huge upper bodies and teeny tiny lower bodies - like they've skipped A LOT of leg days - but for some reason it doesn't bother me quite as much on this guy. 

Zombicide: Green Horde

I like that he has a nice mix of textures - the fur, skin, cloth and small areas of metal. And I also like that he is not overloaded with detail. 

Zombicide: Green Horde

While these minis come pre-assembled, I still like to clean them up a bit - scraping mold lines and filling gaps, you can see the little bit of re-sculpting of his left forearm fur I did with milliput above to cover a larger gap in his elbow joint. Fur is the easiest thing to sculpt, don't be afraid to give it a try if you've never done it before. 

So, on to the painting! I imagined being one of the survivors in the game, stumbling through a dark corridor in search of powerful weapons to fight back against the zombie orc horde, when slowly a huge dark figure rises before you, back-lit by a shaft of light piercing the gloom from the collapsed ceiling above. 

It brought to mind this guy from the Vermintide II expansion:


Although I didn't attempt any kind of OSL on this model (though, man, wouldn't the ol' blue moon-light from behind, red firelight from the front look amazing on this model!?), I still wanted to capture that sense of atmosphere through the muted, desaturated colour palette for much of the model. 

Zombicide: Green Horde

From a 2:1 Steel Legion Drab : Abaddon Black undercoat with a Nuln Oil shade, I built the skin up with multiple thin layers of Steel Legion Drab then adding a bit of Ushabti Bone.

His horns, claws and hooves began as Ushabti Bone shaded with Agrax Earthshade and Nuln Oil. For his horns especially, I got into some kind of zen state and spent a happy half an hour or so building up the thinnest of layers to bring out the texture of his horns. Was it necessary? Absolutely not! Was it fun? You bet!

Zombicide: Green Horde

For his fur, after the all-over Nuln Oil wash for his skin, I covered the fur areas with Contrast Black Templar. Once this was dry, I gently dry brushed with several layers of Abaddon Black + White Scar with more and more White Scar added. I painted on the lightest layer (rather than dry brushing) for more precision. This neutral grey contrasts the brown skin, and against the bright red loincloth it feels quite cool. 

In terms of composition, I know I should have painted the loincloth a dark off-black or dirty neutral beige or almost any colour other than red so as not to draw too much attention away from his face, but...well...I wanted to do it red! And so: Mephiston Red -> Carroberg Crimson -> Mephiston Red + Evil Sunz Scarlet -> a bit of Troll Slayer added in. 

I painted his eyes at the same time and even accomplished a subtle glow effect. 

Zombicide: Green Horde

I finished him off with a bit of Blood for the Blood God on the offal coming out of his mouth and a few errant drips on his left hand.

And there you have him! Over the course of each game the Vault Warden seems to pop up at some point. It's nice to have this forboding miniature to plop on the table! See you next week for more on The Art of Caesura!


Watching: The Last Kingdom - Season 4
Reading: Death Masks (Dresden Files Book 5) - Jim Butcher


Next Week:

Bad fatties...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Full Stop - Oathsworn: Into the Deepwood

The monstrous Deepwood has consumed the land.  No farms or fields remain. There is only corruption, rot and the endless shadow of the twisted trees. ~ Shadowborne Games Pot's Peace, Oathsworn. Welcome to The Art of Caesura! What's all this then, TWO posts in one day!? Well yes, you see timing is of the essence here. Today marks the 200th post of The Art of Caesura , so if you haven't had a chance to check out the celebratory post, please do so !  There is also a Kickstarter ongoing at the moment, that I am getting quite excited by, but it closes on Tuesday, so if I left it till next Friday to tell you about it...it would be too late! Hence, in a world first, two hits of The Art of Caesura in one day! Now onward, into the world of Oathsworn: Into the Deepwood ! Credit: Shadowborne Games Nota bene : I am not associated with Shadowborne Games, and am just writing this because it is something that I am genuinely excited about. None of the

Warhammer 40k for Beginners - Writing an Army List

Hello again good friends of the Caesura! I am glad to report that I am feeling much better than last week, recovered from most of my COVID symptoms. Continuing from last week's post , I'm ready to tell you more about the lists that JP and I took for my first game of Warhammer 40k in over a decade and a half.  I have tried to write this post for those who know very little about playing Warhammer 40k (which was me when I started preparing for this game).  So, I knew that I wanted to keep things straightforward for my first game and that we were playing to 500 points. For those non-warhammerites, this is basically the smallest game you can play - less moving parts to keep track of.  Here is my list again, but this time I will discuss what it all means, and my thought process behind each choice: + Stratagems [-1CP] + Stratagem: Revered Repositories [-1CP] This just means that before the game I used one of my finite resources ("Command Points") to buy a very fancy weapon (

"The Skinny" - Scale 75 Flesh Paint Set Review

The complexion of a light-skinned face  divides into three zones: The forehead has a light golden colour  because it's freer of muscles and surface capillaries. The ears, cheeks and nose all lie within the central zone of the face.  Those areas have more capillaries carrying oxygenated blood near the surface, causing the reddish colour... The zone from the nose to the chin (where there are relatively more veins carrying blue deoxygenated blood) tends toward a bluish, greenish or greyish colour. Some artists accentuated this subtle bluish or greenish hue to bring out the reddish lip colour. Color and Light (page 156) - James Gurney Welcome all to The Art of Caesura! So I finished all the models in Warhammer Quest Silver Tower!! Wooohooo!! Now for something a bit different!  This week I'm going to do something I've never done on the blog before: write a review!! I've been wanting to write my thoughts on  Scale 75 's Flesh Paint Set for ov