Skip to main content

"Oh Brother!" - Horde Brother

Abominations are bad enough 
as mindless rampaging nightmares. 
But to come across one that actually 
attempts to instill some sense of tactics 
in its brethren, now that’s a pain in the neck!



Hello, hello! It's that time again, time for The Art of Caesura!

Last week we looked at a very unconventional abomination - the zombie-unicorn Chromatiz. This week we have we have a more traditional looking mutant zombie orc: The Horde Brother. 

Zombicide: Green Horde

In the game, this guy is brutal. When he turns up another abomination joins The Horde, meaning that another hulking abomination has a better chance of entering the board - and with a horde of zombie-orcs to boot! Deadly!

Zombicide: Green Horde

As I had mentioned on my post about the Orc Necromancer, I didn't fancy blending greens for all of the orcs in the box, so this is the first model for which I used some of my new greens. 

Zombicide: Green Horde

Seeing that this guy has a lot of skin on him, I was looking for ways to mix up the skin tones for some visual interest. To this end, I painted his green skin Castellan Green and his belly and chest with Ushabti Bone and then used the same technique that I had used on my Balrog for the irregular border where the two colours meet. You can see it better on the work-in-progress photo above. I then shaded the green and Ushabti with another new purchase: Athonian Camoshade and highlighted with Deathworld Forest and then Death Guard Green (man, it's going to take me a while to memorize the names of my new greens!)

Zombicide: Green Horde

While we're talking about variety in skin tones, I'll briefly mention his left hand. I say "briefly" because I can feel a rant boiling up inside me...uh oh...it's coming...I really REALLY don't like the style of his left hand or the general cartoony style that this anatomical atrocity prescribes to. I managed to only mention this in passing with the Vault Warden's tiny legs - containing this rant, but I fear I can contain it no longer. 

I feel that this style has become a movement in the past little while. One of the first really good (bad) examples of this style of gross (almost whimiscal) take on proportions, was that Gnasher-Screamer guy from that Kill Team expansion. When I first saw it, all I could think was "oh dear." This was more recently followed by the Zerker for Necromunda. 



It's a style that I find reminiscent of Diablo III (which for me, totally lost the dark foreboding tone that the first two games had, trading it instead for cartoony proportions, animations and bright glowing effects - luckily from what we've seen of gameplay trailers so far, Diablo IV seems to be making a return to the original tone). 

Zombicide: Green Horde

Now, before I get too far off track (too late) I want to emphasize that this style is not "wrong", clearly there are many people who love it, but it's just not for me. Really not for me. Like really really. 

Zombicide: Green Horde

Whew, okay I think I got that out of my system (until it comes time to paint Moloch from Rise of Moloch, then I'll get triggered all over again - WHERE ARE HIS LEGS?!?!). 

Where was I? Oh yes the skin on his left hand. Over the base colour, I just painted the whole thing with 2:1 Black Templar: Contrast Medium. I then feathered out the Black Templar paint using a brush wet with Contrast Medium the closer I got to his "shoulder". I then hightlighted it with a very diluted mix of Castellan Green and Abaddon Black.

Zombicide: Green Horde

As per my previous quandary about what colour to paint the keratinous horns, luckily I now had it figured out from painting the Fatty Bursters. As I said there, I was looking for a colour scheme that could provide unity across the range of abominations that have these horns to show that they are an effect of the zombie plague. I also wanted a colour scheme that would stand out against the different skin tones that I would be painting it on. That's how I settled on the icy blue horns. They start a deep navy blue (standing out against light skin - like the Fatty Bursters) and highlight out to icy white (standing out against dark skin tones, like this guy right here). 

Zombicide: Green Horde

This icy blue, then helped to inform my colour choice for the Horde Brother's organic armour plating. From a deep turquoise, I edged it with pale blue, in the style that some people paint the chitinous armour plating on tyranids. 

Zombicide: Green Horde

My favourite part of this model (aside from his left arm) are the details hanging off his belt - things he is carrying with him to lure in other abominations to join the Horde. They reminded me of the details on GW's giant kit. He's got a whole pig, a drumstick and a nice rack of (hopefully) lamb. 

Zombicide: Green Horde

In the picture above I was trying to demonstrate some of the blending I did on his upper traps and rhomboids, I tried to create some muscle striations which you can kind of see on the right side. 

You can also get a bit of a look at another element I really like: his right pauldron. I painted it the same way as I painted my Blood Bowl Ogre's gut plate: Leadbelcher coated in Contrast Snakebite Leather and then heavily dry-brushed with Leadbelcher and then Stormhost Silver. 

So that's the Horde Brother. Not my favourite miniature of the set, but still some fun details, and a nice opportunity to try something a little different on his great swathes of skin. 

See you next week for more on The Art of Caesura!


Watching: Dark - Season 3 (finale!)


Next Week:

A tactical break from the zombie plague...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Full Stop - Oathsworn: Into the Deepwood

The monstrous Deepwood has consumed the land.  No farms or fields remain. There is only corruption, rot and the endless shadow of the twisted trees. ~ Shadowborne Games Pot's Peace, Oathsworn. Welcome to The Art of Caesura! What's all this then, TWO posts in one day!? Well yes, you see timing is of the essence here. Today marks the 200th post of The Art of Caesura , so if you haven't had a chance to check out the celebratory post, please do so !  There is also a Kickstarter ongoing at the moment, that I am getting quite excited by, but it closes on Tuesday, so if I left it till next Friday to tell you about it...it would be too late! Hence, in a world first, two hits of The Art of Caesura in one day! Now onward, into the world of Oathsworn: Into the Deepwood ! Credit: Shadowborne Games Nota bene : I am not associated with Shadowborne Games, and am just writing this because it is something that I am genuinely excited about. None of the

"The Skinny" - Scale 75 Flesh Paint Set Review

The complexion of a light-skinned face  divides into three zones: The forehead has a light golden colour  because it's freer of muscles and surface capillaries. The ears, cheeks and nose all lie within the central zone of the face.  Those areas have more capillaries carrying oxygenated blood near the surface, causing the reddish colour... The zone from the nose to the chin (where there are relatively more veins carrying blue deoxygenated blood) tends toward a bluish, greenish or greyish colour. Some artists accentuated this subtle bluish or greenish hue to bring out the reddish lip colour. Color and Light (page 156) - James Gurney Welcome all to The Art of Caesura! So I finished all the models in Warhammer Quest Silver Tower!! Wooohooo!! Now for something a bit different!  This week I'm going to do something I've never done on the blog before: write a review!! I've been wanting to write my thoughts on  Scale 75 's Flesh Paint Set for ov

Warhammer 40k for Beginners - Writing an Army List

Hello again good friends of the Caesura! I am glad to report that I am feeling much better than last week, recovered from most of my COVID symptoms. Continuing from last week's post , I'm ready to tell you more about the lists that JP and I took for my first game of Warhammer 40k in over a decade and a half.  I have tried to write this post for those who know very little about playing Warhammer 40k (which was me when I started preparing for this game).  So, I knew that I wanted to keep things straightforward for my first game and that we were playing to 500 points. For those non-warhammerites, this is basically the smallest game you can play - less moving parts to keep track of.  Here is my list again, but this time I will discuss what it all means, and my thought process behind each choice: + Stratagems [-1CP] + Stratagem: Revered Repositories [-1CP] This just means that before the game I used one of my finite resources ("Command Points") to buy a very fancy weapon (