Skip to main content

"Thrice Ripened" - Lord of Blights (adding colour)

Masters of the corpse orchards, 
the Lords of Blights are responsible for creating 
the blessed death’s heads. 
These projectiles are doled out to their Rotbringers, 
and hurled at the foe 
to spread the plagues festering within.

- Games Workshop


Welcome back to your weekly respite here on The Art of Caesura!

Today we are going to continue our look at a very special model. It is of the Lord of Blights that I painted at Marco Frisoni's workshop a few weeks ago. And I have to say, I think I really levelled-up painting this guy!


If you're just joining us, I attended my first painting course recently, which you can read about here

Last week I showed you the first stage of painting this guy - the value sketch. So today we'll look at adding the haunting and toxic colours. 


Once I had my value sketch in place (see last week), it was time to start adding colour. Before working on the OSL effect, I blocked in the "local" colours; these are the colours that would actually exist on him regardless of lighting. The important part of this was that the colours be translucent so as to allow the value sketch to influence their lightness and darkness. So I painted his armour a desaturated teal, his skin a necrotic pink-grey, his leather bands and gallows with thinned Contrast Wyldwood, and his rags a thinned warm brown.


Knowing that I wanted him to be lit by the toxic green glow of the swamp from beneath, I then launched into this eerie tone. I used Contrast Plaguebearer Flesh for the more subtle green areas (on his upper body) and mixed in this guy:


...for some real pop!


By the end of the two-day workshop that's as far as I had gotten (the two pictures above) and immediately above you can see my palette from the second day alone. 

But I came away bursting with enthusiasm to keep working on him, so when I got home I continued to push the contrast - highlighting smaller and smaller areas to be brighter and brighter and the shadows to be deeper and deeper, all the while trying to not totally obliterate the local colours but still selling the environmental effects. 


This style was unlike anything I had ever painted before. Having two such diverse light sources was actually a great deal of fun to emulate. All downward-facing surfaces should look green and everything from above his circumference (the bulge of his belly) should be a paler lavender colour. The maggots were particularly fun as some of them are green on one side and lavender on the other.


I started working on the metallic aspects trying to control the light and shadow by controlling lustre. Marco pointed out that metal in shadow doesn't look reflective at all, and yet we paint all of our metal bits with metallic paints. So he recommends that when shading metallics, you actually colour-match with a standard (non-metallic) paint and glaze this on in the shadows. To highlight the metals, it is important to add in the environmental colours to your metallic paints (green and lavender for me) to really sell the effect. 

You can see this in action on the metal rim of his shield and the faces of his hammer. The upward facing surfaces of the hammer are tinted lavender while the downward facing surfaces are green-tinted. 

Like all other highlights and shadows on the model these need continuous refining to maximize value contrast to pure silver (white for non-metallic areas) at the lightest points. 



At this point I was happy with the direction that the painting was going, but the quick stand-in base that I had whipped up was detracting from my ability to know how bright to go with the highlights, so I decided to get to work on the base. 


I clipped some small roots out of a dirt mound on our property; I have learned that real roots actually look more in scale as trees than real branches do. 


I then quickly painted the whole thing black before trying my hand at one of my first ever attempts at air-brushing (using the cheap crappy (but perfectly serviceable for my purposes) one you can get off Wish). I sprayed the areas of the swamp that would be toxic green, first with white then yellow then that fluorescent green. 




I made sure to spray the upper surfaces of the "tree" with the white - as I would be tinting these lavender for the moonlight. I also controlled some overspray onto the base of the tree to show the toxic swamp illuminating it too. 


NOW WE'RE COOKIN' WITH GAS!!


I re-attached him to his base and added some gloops of gloss varnish mixed with the fluorescent green for toxic puddles. With all of this in place, it was easier to see where to go brighter with the highlights. 


And here he is: the completed Lord of Blights!!


Thank you for joining me through this process. Next week we'll reward ourselves with a nice long self-indulgent look at this finished guy under cool moody lighting!


Reading: Snow Crash - Neal Stephenson
Watching: Space Force - Season 2


Next Week:

Feelin' plaguey...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Full Stop - Oathsworn: Into the Deepwood

The monstrous Deepwood has consumed the land.  No farms or fields remain. There is only corruption, rot and the endless shadow of the twisted trees. ~ Shadowborne Games Pot's Peace, Oathsworn. Welcome to The Art of Caesura! What's all this then, TWO posts in one day!? Well yes, you see timing is of the essence here. Today marks the 200th post of The Art of Caesura , so if you haven't had a chance to check out the celebratory post, please do so !  There is also a Kickstarter ongoing at the moment, that I am getting quite excited by, but it closes on Tuesday, so if I left it till next Friday to tell you about it...it would be too late! Hence, in a world first, two hits of The Art of Caesura in one day! Now onward, into the world of Oathsworn: Into the Deepwood ! Credit: Shadowborne Games Nota bene : I am not associated with Shadowborne Games, and am just writing this because it is something that I am genuinely excited about. None of the

"The Skinny" - Scale 75 Flesh Paint Set Review

The complexion of a light-skinned face  divides into three zones: The forehead has a light golden colour  because it's freer of muscles and surface capillaries. The ears, cheeks and nose all lie within the central zone of the face.  Those areas have more capillaries carrying oxygenated blood near the surface, causing the reddish colour... The zone from the nose to the chin (where there are relatively more veins carrying blue deoxygenated blood) tends toward a bluish, greenish or greyish colour. Some artists accentuated this subtle bluish or greenish hue to bring out the reddish lip colour. Color and Light (page 156) - James Gurney Welcome all to The Art of Caesura! So I finished all the models in Warhammer Quest Silver Tower!! Wooohooo!! Now for something a bit different!  This week I'm going to do something I've never done on the blog before: write a review!! I've been wanting to write my thoughts on  Scale 75 's Flesh Paint Set for ov

Warhammer 40k for Beginners - Writing an Army List

Hello again good friends of the Caesura! I am glad to report that I am feeling much better than last week, recovered from most of my COVID symptoms. Continuing from last week's post , I'm ready to tell you more about the lists that JP and I took for my first game of Warhammer 40k in over a decade and a half.  I have tried to write this post for those who know very little about playing Warhammer 40k (which was me when I started preparing for this game).  So, I knew that I wanted to keep things straightforward for my first game and that we were playing to 500 points. For those non-warhammerites, this is basically the smallest game you can play - less moving parts to keep track of.  Here is my list again, but this time I will discuss what it all means, and my thought process behind each choice: + Stratagems [-1CP] + Stratagem: Revered Repositories [-1CP] This just means that before the game I used one of my finite resources ("Command Points") to buy a very fancy weapon (