Skip to main content

"Do the Do" - Sword Brethren - Sculpting Hair

Don't waste a good hair day.

 

Hello friends of the Caesura, welcome to another Friday on The Art of Caesura!

My goodness! Unlike last year, where we stayed laser-focused on Reichbusters and Blackstone Fortress, this year I've returned to my more natural ENFP state of being - fliting from one exciting thing to the next! Already this year, we've seen my first experience of a mini painting workshop, my first attempts at painting in 1:1 scale; we've had Nurgle, we've had my return to Black Templars...and MORE!

Today we return again to Black Templars, but not as you know them. I'm going to show you one of my first efforts at sculpting hair on a model!



I love almost all of the new Black Templars releases and indeed, their hairdos. I even like the squirely bowl-cuts on the Neophytes which have garnered many dissenters (my wife included). However, there is one head that I am not a fan of; it's the Baldy 'Stache. I get what they were going for - the guy on the cover of the plep...sorry, standard version of the Black Templars Codex Supplement.


But in my opinion, rather than the craggy ruggedness of a Space Marine, they ended up closer to the soup-strainered visage of spaceman Commander Chris Hadfield (a legend to be sure!) 


All of this is just to provide some background as to why I felt compelled to sculpt hair in 32mm scale. So, let's look at our starting point:



I didn't exactly know what I wanted to do, but I knew he wanted head-hair and more facial hair. Having been graced with great facial hair genes myself, I had some inspiration to draw on. 


The Black Templars draw inspiration from crusading knights of olde, so I wanted to reflect this in his hairdo.


I started by filling in his facial hair with some friendly mutton chops; connecting them to his moustache, and trying to make them look accurate in terms of where they come out of the mechanical stuff on the left side of his face. 

To physically sculpt the green stuff, I just used an old dental tool to poke and prod some texture into a little sliver of green stuff. 


Next, it was on to his head hair!


The picture above is probably my favorite of this set! He looks like he's at a demolition derby with a baseball cap cocked back on his head and his scraggly mutton chops out in full glory. 


I was trying to emulate a knightly look with his tussled hair parted in the middle (achieved by simply pressing the length of my sculpting tool down the centre of his head) then gently creating texture on either side for his hair. 


My biggest take-home messages after completing this guy are:

- I didn't know what the hell I was doing, I just went for it - and you should too! Don't get immobilized by worrying you won't be able to do it, or that you'll ruin your model. Green stuff is incredibly forgiving and is even easier to remove / amend than paint.

- Use less green stuff than you think you'll need. It's easier to add more (which has the added benefit of creating layering. 

- Keep your fingers and sculpting tool wet so the green stuff doesn't stick to you.

- Remember the scale you are working in - don't fret over trying to sculpt individual hairs, the overall texture is the important thing


I am really excited to sculpt more hair on my miniatures. I have a grizzled Bladeguard Veteran Sergeant on my desk in need of a trim...


Reading: The Swarm - Frank Schätzing
Listening: Halo - Amorphis


Next Week:

Painted faces...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Full Stop - Oathsworn: Into the Deepwood

The monstrous Deepwood has consumed the land.  No farms or fields remain. There is only corruption, rot and the endless shadow of the twisted trees. ~ Shadowborne Games Pot's Peace, Oathsworn. Welcome to The Art of Caesura! What's all this then, TWO posts in one day!? Well yes, you see timing is of the essence here. Today marks the 200th post of The Art of Caesura , so if you haven't had a chance to check out the celebratory post, please do so !  There is also a Kickstarter ongoing at the moment, that I am getting quite excited by, but it closes on Tuesday, so if I left it till next Friday to tell you about it...it would be too late! Hence, in a world first, two hits of The Art of Caesura in one day! Now onward, into the world of Oathsworn: Into the Deepwood ! Credit: Shadowborne Games Nota bene : I am not associated with Shadowborne Games, and am just writing this because it is something that I am genuinely excited about. None of the

"The Skinny" - Scale 75 Flesh Paint Set Review

The complexion of a light-skinned face  divides into three zones: The forehead has a light golden colour  because it's freer of muscles and surface capillaries. The ears, cheeks and nose all lie within the central zone of the face.  Those areas have more capillaries carrying oxygenated blood near the surface, causing the reddish colour... The zone from the nose to the chin (where there are relatively more veins carrying blue deoxygenated blood) tends toward a bluish, greenish or greyish colour. Some artists accentuated this subtle bluish or greenish hue to bring out the reddish lip colour. Color and Light (page 156) - James Gurney Welcome all to The Art of Caesura! So I finished all the models in Warhammer Quest Silver Tower!! Wooohooo!! Now for something a bit different!  This week I'm going to do something I've never done on the blog before: write a review!! I've been wanting to write my thoughts on  Scale 75 's Flesh Paint Set for ov

Citadel COLOUR Contrast Paints First Impressions / Review

Hello and welcome to a special edition of The Art of Caesura! I've just returned from Warhammer Fest 2019 (and what a brilliant time it was!) Without a doubt, the big reveal of the festival was the new Contrast Paints that Games Workshop are touting.  They have seriously been marketing the bejesus out of these things, whether it be the three hilarious teaser videos in recent months: Leading up to today's reveal trailer: Or the heavy branding throughout today's swag bag and arena: Including half of an entire floor devoted to display cases of miniatures painted entirely with the new Contrast Paints - and, more excitingly, demo pods where we could give them a spin ourselves! But, I'm getting ahead of myself. I attended a seminar on the science behind the new Contrast Paints and between that and what I saw (and experienced) today, I'd like to share as much of it with you as possible. At the moment information i