Skip to main content

"Face Paint" - Sword Bro Head - Painting

All is deceit. 
Nothing wears a true face 
or uses a true name.

- Dan Abnett 


Hello and welcome back to The Art of Caesura!

I hope you are all doing well and are enjoying / have enjoyed the sneak peeks from Games Workshop via their online Warhammer Fest over the past few days (at time of writing we're still a couple days out). 

Today is part 2 of a three part series looking at my first Black Templars Sword Brother. Last week you saw me sculpt hair for the first time, and this week we'll look at painting his pretty face!


Above is where we'll end up, and below is where we left off next week - looking like the Joker with his green locks. 


I start by painting his skin 3:1 Cadian Fleshtone : Wraithbone using several thin coats. 


I then shade around the eyes, nose and lower cheeks by glazing in a mix with more Cadian Fleshtone.



I missed photographing a few steps, but I then mix in a bit of S75 African Shadow into my Cadian/Wraithbone mix and glaze this around the eyes and lower cheeks. I then bring some warmth into the cheeks and nose by glazing in S75 Indian Shadow.


I deepen the shadows around the brow, and service studs with Doombull Brown, before darkening the whole eye area with Doombull Brown with a touch of black mixed in. To paint the eyes I dot in some Corax White and then paint in the pupil with Abaddon Black.

With the eyes dotted in, I then bring some life to the areas around the eyes by mixing in some Cadian Fleshtone : The Fang and then adding a bit of Wraithbone to this mix for a highlight. 

I then go back to my original Cadian : Wraithbone mix and re-establish the forehead, bridge of nose, and upper cheeks.

With the face pretty much done I painted in the stubble under his handlebar moustache with a mix of Cadian : Mechanicus Standard Grey before moving on to his hair. 


I wanted to paint the hair that I sculpted last week to have a nice distinguished "salt and pepper" look. The trick I have found for painting hair (especially black hair) is to go crazy with layers. I first painted the raised areas of hair with lighter and lighter greys before shading the whole thing with thinned Abaddon Black with a touch of Altdorf Guard Blue and then doing the same thing again many times - hitting different raised hairs with each pass of highlight / shade to build up layers.










I'm really happy with how the hair and face turned out - he might even rival Marshal Grymm for my favourite face I've painted! Below you can see my palette after completing the head. It's amazing to see how many colours went into a few millimetres of model! 

And there we have him, a face not only a mother could love!

Tune in next week to The Art of Caesura!


Reading: Animal Farm - Orwell 
Playing: Small World


Next Week:

The body...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Full Stop - Oathsworn: Into the Deepwood

The monstrous Deepwood has consumed the land.  No farms or fields remain. There is only corruption, rot and the endless shadow of the twisted trees. ~ Shadowborne Games Pot's Peace, Oathsworn. Welcome to The Art of Caesura! What's all this then, TWO posts in one day!? Well yes, you see timing is of the essence here. Today marks the 200th post of The Art of Caesura , so if you haven't had a chance to check out the celebratory post, please do so !  There is also a Kickstarter ongoing at the moment, that I am getting quite excited by, but it closes on Tuesday, so if I left it till next Friday to tell you about it...it would be too late! Hence, in a world first, two hits of The Art of Caesura in one day! Now onward, into the world of Oathsworn: Into the Deepwood ! Credit: Shadowborne Games Nota bene : I am not associated with Shadowborne Games, and am just writing this because it is something that I am genuinely excited about. None of the

"The Skinny" - Scale 75 Flesh Paint Set Review

The complexion of a light-skinned face  divides into three zones: The forehead has a light golden colour  because it's freer of muscles and surface capillaries. The ears, cheeks and nose all lie within the central zone of the face.  Those areas have more capillaries carrying oxygenated blood near the surface, causing the reddish colour... The zone from the nose to the chin (where there are relatively more veins carrying blue deoxygenated blood) tends toward a bluish, greenish or greyish colour. Some artists accentuated this subtle bluish or greenish hue to bring out the reddish lip colour. Color and Light (page 156) - James Gurney Welcome all to The Art of Caesura! So I finished all the models in Warhammer Quest Silver Tower!! Wooohooo!! Now for something a bit different!  This week I'm going to do something I've never done on the blog before: write a review!! I've been wanting to write my thoughts on  Scale 75 's Flesh Paint Set for ov

Citadel COLOUR Contrast Paints First Impressions / Review

Hello and welcome to a special edition of The Art of Caesura! I've just returned from Warhammer Fest 2019 (and what a brilliant time it was!) Without a doubt, the big reveal of the festival was the new Contrast Paints that Games Workshop are touting.  They have seriously been marketing the bejesus out of these things, whether it be the three hilarious teaser videos in recent months: Leading up to today's reveal trailer: Or the heavy branding throughout today's swag bag and arena: Including half of an entire floor devoted to display cases of miniatures painted entirely with the new Contrast Paints - and, more excitingly, demo pods where we could give them a spin ourselves! But, I'm getting ahead of myself. I attended a seminar on the science behind the new Contrast Paints and between that and what I saw (and experienced) today, I'd like to share as much of it with you as possible. At the moment information i