Skip to main content

"Master Crafted" - Bladeguard Veterans - Part 1

Bladeguard Veterans are inexorable warriors, 
advancing relentlessly with blades held high – 
the very image of noble knights of myth.

- Games Workshop

 
Welcome back to another Friday on The Art of Caesura!

Twenty twenty-three is a year of improvement for me. I've been reading a bunch of inspiring books with an intention to "live like the kind of person who is making the most of their life". A paraphrased quote from the current book that I am reading (you can always find my "currently reading / watching / listening list" at the bottom of each post) that has resonated with me is: 

If you are in the process of making a difficult decision, ask yourself 'does this decision enlarge me or diminish me, will it help me grow as a person or wear away at my soul. Don't base decisions only on what will make you happier, because perceived happiness is often based on comfort. 

And what does this have to do with miniature painting? Oh, nothing. 

So, did you catch the Adeptacon coverage yesterday? I'll wait a week before I discuss any of it, just in case you haven't yet had a chance to watch it first hand. 

Now let us turn our attention to the glorious Bladeguard!


I mentioned last week that I absolutely LOVE these miniatures. They are just so gothic, knightly, and chonky! They are also no slouches in terms of gameplay!


More than most Chapters, Black Templars benefit from a bit of personalization, it plays into their crusading knight aesthetic. This has influenced my sculpting hair onto two of my miniatures so far. On these guys, I dug deep into my olde Black Templars upgrade kit and used pauldrons that were originally designed for Terminators. I also replaced their helmeted heads with old ones; the original Bladeguard helmets are the only thing that I don't love about the models. For me, the eye holes make it look like the Space Marine is wearing a helmet over his helmet. These old parts certainly have softer details than modern bits, but when they're all painted up, they blend in fine. 


I have documented my recipe for painting my Black Templars many times now on the blog and I am happy that it is a process that works for me. 


I get to start with broad messy strokes and work my way to smaller, more intentional brushstrokes, using all colours that I really like. The overall result has a "Grimdark" "Painterly" look that I adore and it even pleases the "art theory" aspects with the burnt ochre of the Skrag Brown working in a complementary fashion with the deep blue-green of the Stegadon Scale Green. 


For those unfamiliar with my process, I shall re-produce it here: 

That process is:

1) From a Chaos Black spray, I touched up the main armour areas with Abaddon Black. I then coated the whole model in Stormshield (a satin varnish which will help with the next step).

2) I then glazed Doombull Brown and then Skrag Brown into the crevices to give the appearance of dust and breath some warmth into the black armour. As mentioned, the Stormshield reduces the surface tension, allowing the browns to slide nicely into the crevices. 


3) With the brown glazed in, I drybrushed Abaddon Black onto the areas where the brown got a little out of control (the surfaces of the armour plates).  


4) Next came Stegadon Scale Green. This is a really fun step. I work really fast, hitting many of the upward-facing surfaces. Don't worry if it's looking a little cartoony at this stage. 


5) To pull things back towards neutral, I use Skavenblight Dinge next. With this step, I start to add in the scratches and dings in the armour which will be further accentuated later. 

6) After Skavenblight Dinge, I use quite a light neutral grey: Dawnstone - again only on smaller and smaller areas of the upward surfaces. 

7) Again, don't worry if it's getting a bit too grey at this stage, because for the next step I glazed on Abaddon Black to blend the layers together and bring the whole thing back towards black rather than grey or blue. 

8) The final highlight is with Grey Seer, and I reserve that for the sharpest edges that would catch light from above. 



Pauldrons:

Starting from Steel Legion Drab, I dabbed on diluted Rakarth Flesh, followed by a stippling of Grey Seer.




Cloth:

To differentiate the cloth, I moved from Steel Legion Drab up through Ushabti Bone to Wraithbone. I gave some focused washes of Agrax to deepen the folds of the cloth. The image below is taken under a different light which better shows the texture that I am in the process of creating on the tabbard. 


Red Elements:

To paint the iconic red weapon casings, I base them with Mephiston Red, give them an all over wash of undiluted Flesh Tearers Red and then add more and more Yriel Yellow to this mix to stipple on the battle damage and highlights. 


Metals:

I painted all metal areas with Leadbelcher, and for the areas that would remain silver, I gave a recess shade of Nuln Oil and then worked it back up with Vallejo Game Colour Silver. For the brass areas (sword pommels), I simply painted Contrast Snakebite Leather over the Leadbelcher. For the bronze (Shield trim and detailing and Iron Halo) I used Sycorax Bronze, shaded with Reikland Fleshshade and then highlighted with the Vallejo Silver




For the titular blades of these guys, I tried my hand at a very simple TMM (true metalic metal) effect. From a Leadbelcher base, I painted cross checks of Contrast Black Templars on either sides of the cutting edges of the sword. I wiped the border with my thumb to smooth out the transition rather than having a stark line where the Black Templars ended and then applied diluted Contrast Black Templars to further blend the transition. 


I tried my hand at a little lightening effect on their master-crafted power swords. I actually painted this in white and then filtered it with Aethermatic Blue


And that is it! These Bladeguard are awesome models and I'm happy to have them slightly individualized with the bits from the old Black Templars upgrade sprue. 



I'll catch you right back here next week on The Art of Caesura!


Reading: 4000 Weeks: Time management for Mortals - Oliver Burkeman
Watching: The Last of Us - HBO


Next Week:

Veteran sergeant...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Full Stop - Oathsworn: Into the Deepwood

The monstrous Deepwood has consumed the land.  No farms or fields remain. There is only corruption, rot and the endless shadow of the twisted trees. ~ Shadowborne Games Pot's Peace, Oathsworn. Welcome to The Art of Caesura! What's all this then, TWO posts in one day!? Well yes, you see timing is of the essence here. Today marks the 200th post of The Art of Caesura , so if you haven't had a chance to check out the celebratory post, please do so !  There is also a Kickstarter ongoing at the moment, that I am getting quite excited by, but it closes on Tuesday, so if I left it till next Friday to tell you about it...it would be too late! Hence, in a world first, two hits of The Art of Caesura in one day! Now onward, into the world of Oathsworn: Into the Deepwood ! Credit: Shadowborne Games Nota bene : I am not associated with Shadowborne Games, and am just writing this because it is something that I am genuinely excited about. None of the

"The Skinny" - Scale 75 Flesh Paint Set Review

The complexion of a light-skinned face  divides into three zones: The forehead has a light golden colour  because it's freer of muscles and surface capillaries. The ears, cheeks and nose all lie within the central zone of the face.  Those areas have more capillaries carrying oxygenated blood near the surface, causing the reddish colour... The zone from the nose to the chin (where there are relatively more veins carrying blue deoxygenated blood) tends toward a bluish, greenish or greyish colour. Some artists accentuated this subtle bluish or greenish hue to bring out the reddish lip colour. Color and Light (page 156) - James Gurney Welcome all to The Art of Caesura! So I finished all the models in Warhammer Quest Silver Tower!! Wooohooo!! Now for something a bit different!  This week I'm going to do something I've never done on the blog before: write a review!! I've been wanting to write my thoughts on  Scale 75 's Flesh Paint Set for ov

"From the City of Shadows" - Arkanaut Company (Painting - Part 1)

The City of Shadows has a dubious reputation  amongst the Overlords, often labelled pirates  or worse by other duardin of their rival sky-ports. Barak Mhornar - Games Workshop Welcome back to another Friday on The Art of Caesura! Let's pick it up from last week and dive right back in to the Arkanauts. Last time we saw them they were all grey and naked. No longer!! This is going to be part one of a two-parter on the painting of these guys before we look their bases and then at the finished Company in the following weeks. I was going to try to cram it all into one post, but wow there is a lot of detail on these guys, and we're in no hurry, so best to spread it out and give it all it's due.  Barak Zilfin Colour Scheme When the Kharadron Overlords first came out I was looking at all the colour schemes and thinking "man, Barak Zilfin all the way!  I mean look at all that copper!" But over the year, my tastes have...matured and I came to really